Micro trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pisiform

Oh Crap!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am having trouble learning micro. I think its because my school tests us on very minute details which pisses me off even more.

Anyhow, I like micro and I learn, memorize and understand really well. But when someone throws 30 different microbes at me, I get really confused. Sometimes I don’t even remember when they do. All of their names sounds so similar and I end up mixing it all up. It sucks

Any advice? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Micro is a lot of categorization and memorization of common scenarios. Mnemonics are very useful. Look into getting Microcards and reading First Aid. It doesn't have a lot of the minutiae, which you probably get in your lecture notes, but it is a good rubric to follow as far as highlighting the important aspects of each bug. I used to not like Micro but after board prep it is easily one of my strongest subjects. If you put in the work, categorization will make your life much easier when dealing with micro.

Others use Ridiculously Simple and Picmonic. I'm neutral on Picmonic, but don't really care for Ridiculously Simple. You may like one or the either, both, or neither. See what works for you, but it goes without saying that you should at least familiarize yourself with the content in First Aid.

Reactions: 2 users
^ Great advice.

The tables and classifications schemes in First Aid are excellent. Picmonic isn't for me personally, but I know students that use it exclusively for micro and love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am having trouble learning micro. I think its because my school tests us on very minute details which pisses me off even more.

Anyhow, I like micro and I learn, memorize and understand really well. But when someone throws 30 different microbes at me, I get really confused. Sometimes I don’t even remember when they do. All of their names sounds so similar and I end up mixing it all up. It sucks

Any advice? thanks

Somebody just had a micro exam, haha. You have clinical micro made ridiculously simple right? That book's great, as is FA after you have some intro to the bugs.

I think a problem is that many different sources categorize micro differently. Some base it off of gram stain and type, others off of where you'd encouter them, and others off yet another thing. What I did was break the microorganisms into my own groups of what made sense to me, then I just keep adding stuff to the lists/categories. I don't know if that will help you, but that's what works with me.

Somebody just had a micro exam, haha. You have clinical micro made ridiculously simple right? That book's great, as is FA after you have some intro to the bugs.

I think a problem is that many different sources categorize micro differently. Some base it off of gram stain and type, others off of where you'd encouter them, and others off yet another thing. What I did was break the microorganisms into my own groups of what made sense to me, then I just keep adding stuff to the lists/categories. I don't know if that will help you, but that's what works with me.

haha I had a PBL exam and our group picked ridiculous amount of micro from the textbook which I simply hate. Also, the bugs were all over the place like a couple from each category, so organizing them would not be possible. I have been using First Aid and Microcards but learning it without going back and doing from scratch feels weird. Its too disorganized I think the way we handle micro in our school.

I guess I just had a bad day.

haha I had a PBL exam and our group picked ridiculous amount of micro from the textbook which I simply hate. Also, the bugs were all over the place like a couple from each category, so organizing them would not be possible. I have been using First Aid and Microcards but learning it without going back and doing from scratch feels weird. Its too disorganized I think the way we handle micro in our school.

I guess I just had a bad day.

Wait until you get the grade back, you may have done better than you think. Do you have Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple? It's not bad at giving you an intro to stuff.

When it comes to stuff like this in PBL it's hard, because not all the books were made so you could easily take a bunch of random advanced chapters without covering the more basic aspects of it. I think the only way to deal with that is to supplement on your own with the more basic information. It's a pain, but you'll probably end up getting a better understanding of the material.

Micro sucked in pre-clinicals.

But I'm here to tell you that it sinks in well; and by the time you're halfway through 3rd year you will have a handle on the common bugs you'll be up against, and you can look up the rest when needed.

Don't sweat it, just study hard and learn what you can.

COMLEX 1 is bugs and drugs..I don't care if you hate Micro...you damned well well better know it for boards.