Microbes: To learn or not to learn?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Blaughable, 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Blaughable

Blaughable 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys, so as I'm going through my micro class, I'm noticing that there are some bacteria that we cover in class that have clinical revalance, but fail to appear in First Aid/Firecracker/Picmonic. Such as; acinetobacter, bacteroides, propionibacterium, burkholderia etc. Are these not tested/not worth any thought? Rarely tested/worth minimal thought?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. animando

animando 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you provided the answer. Even they are certainly not super high yield, I guess knowing a few facts about them wouldn't hurt.

4. Serous Demilune

Serous Demilune 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pretty sure I've seen a burkholderia question in UWorld. It's a little more relevant than the others bc of the cystic fibrosis association.

5. DrEnderW

DrEnderW 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah I've seen a couple of those on qbanks that I didn't see in class and are not in FA. Firecrackers micro is more extensive, but I can't recall of those bugs are in there.

I started a list in FA in the micro section to include these guys. The actual bugs and associations such as agar, proteins, genetics, etc definitely aren't enough in FA.

6. Blaughable

Blaughable 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sounds good, I'll be doing the same. Speaking of agar, every time one of those growth medium questions pops up on Firecracker (e.g. Vibrio on TCBS/ ) I cringe and also wonder if I really need to know this. Is this really tested?!

7. DrEnderW

DrEnderW 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    100%.

It was tested like crazy in my in class exams, but appears on reliable qbanks too. I just had one last week that forced you to make a legionella diagnosis but the answer choices were all differential agars.

Firecracker is great for retaining the micro/immuno details.

About the ads