Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Microbiology & Anatomy?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by premed student, Dec 12, 2005.

1. premed student

premed student Go Bears!
    10+ Year Member

Hi guys,

I'm a non-traditional student who was a non-science major in undergrad (UCBerkeley) and took all the premed req's at Cal State Fullerton. I already applied for the class of 2010 and waiting for interviews. Right now, I'm taking Genetics at a community college and working to pay bills. I was wondering if I should take Microbiology and Anatomy next semester before I start medschool or if I should just take it easy and enjoy my time before the school. Those two courses are offered in medschool and I heard that some med schools don't even recommend taking anatomy ahead.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thank you! : )

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

FYI, posting the same thread in multiple forums is a no-no.

I certainly wouldn't take micro. Anatomy might give you a bit of a head start but, especially at a CC, is going to be nowhere near what you'll see in med school and probably not all that helpful. I'd save the cash and enjoy a little downtime.

4. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hold off on these courses until you have to take them in med school. if you're going to take a class, take a foreign language or something else that interests you that you won't have time for while in med school, residency or your career.

5. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I disagree. You take micro in medical school too, and I definitely think an intro micro class is beneficial for other reasons too (like gaining microscope and staining skills).

6. TX515

TX515 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

you should take both of them before med school.

7. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Perhaps I'm biased... I took both micro and anatomy at a CC for my other degree and thought that neither was really in depth enough to be of any benefit. I guess it would depend on the particular school.

8. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Well I'm probably biased too, since I was a microbiology major. :)

9. mattorama

mattorama Walk Unafraid
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I posted a response to this in the allopathic section too....who knows which will soon be closed.

Anywho, at the heart of the issue is:

1. most of med school is brute force memorization
    2. memorization (especially long term retention) comes from repitition
    3. if you are seeing something for the second time in med school it will stick faster/longer and will make it easy to get As/honors
    4. if you spend less time studying, you can spend more time sleeping/drinking/with sig. other/working...

My advice is to take as many classes as you can. I took a lot of classes similar to med school stuff and managed to get credit toward degree requirements at the same time. Some crazy....like engineering elective credit for both gross anatomy and neuroanatomy (and both ended up being more in-depth and clinical then what I got in the first year of med school). The only first year subject I was completly ignorant of was micro. I got honors, but it was a pain in the rear and I don't remember jack right now (we take it first semester of first year and I am a second year).