Microbiology and Virology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swim90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking a microbiology course to meet the prerequisite for admission to dental school, and was specifically looking into an Introductory Virology Course. The problem is that the course doesn't explicitly include the term "microbiology" on the transcript, but from my understanding, microbiology is an umbrella term that covers the topics of virology, parasitology, bacteriology, etc. Will it still fulfill the requirement? I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered and nothing slips through the cracks.

Members don't see this ad.

microbiology is a recommended course, not a required one. it won't matter, but will help you greatly when you matriculate

Check your list of schools. Only a handful require microbiology (some with lab). If one of your schools requires it, just ask admissions. Include the course description if you email them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the microbiology recommendation applies to a general microbiology class which typically covers virology briefly. Virology is much more specific and doesn't offer the same breadth of information a general micro class would. I'd go with a general micro course.

I agree with the above post. Microbiology would be much more helpful than virology. If possible, take them both!

virology is rote memorization and wont help you with ANYTHING unless you plan on doing research.

general microbio teaches you everything you need to know about viruses (the types, life cycle, and how they work) + tons of other useful stuff about bacteria that you wont get from virology.