Microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkeye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking microbiology this summer at my community college back near my hometown. I was wondering how much if any microbiology is on the MCAT and will this be adventagous for me to take this class in preparing me for medical school? I don't need it for my major here at the Unveristy of Iowa, so I just thought I would take a "basic" microbiology class at my community college in hopes to get a good grade and get some background before diving head first at medical school. TIA

Go Hawks
This is our week!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hawkeye,

Any science class will help, but the MCAT is designed to accomadate non-science majors who just took the pre-reqs, as well as, the science majors. The little bit of Micro, Genetics, etc.. that you receive in basic bio courses is more than adequate. Anything else, certainly won't hurt, but it's just overkill.

However, any high level bio courses you take now will be beneficial in preparing you for Medical School classes. I followed a student up at MSUCOM during his classes. To my amazment, 90% of the stuff they're covering is review for me (i'm a bio major). Obviously, its gonna get alot harder. However, I'm told that one of the toughest parts of Med School (at least at the beginning) is just getting acclimated to Med school life the first semester. Having a leg up in your classes, certainly helps.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 11-02-1999).]

From my experience, only clinical microbiology ( course that makes you memorize the bugs and disease) will really beneficial for med school.

------------------
NSU 2002
(-@o@-)

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT attempts to take unknown areas: biochem, microbio, astrophys, whatever they can get their hands on, and ask you questions from it that you should be able to apply the four amigos (Bio, Chem, Orgo, and Phys) to discern an answer. If you know the material already you can save precious time and energy. I am a Biochem major and had taken that sequence before the big 'CAT and when they had a passage on protein signalling (new to most takers) I zapped it without reading the passage. I got an 11 on Bio so I think I got them right. However, we'll never really know!
smile.gif

Hope this helps, feel free to email me for more info if you need it.

------------------
From one thing learn 10,000 things..
-Miyamoto Musashi

From my MCAT experience last April I would suggest taking micro, cause I thought the MCAT bio section was pretty darn hard, and was happy that I had taken Micro and BioChem in addition to all the basics, because as previously said, there was some detailed stuff on there.

Trust me Hawkeye. Taking the class certainly won't hurt you any, but you can simply get a hold of a MCAT review book from Kaplan for about $200(the whole package including practice tests) and accomplish the same thing and then some.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004