microneursurgery fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

headsup

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not in any OS program. as a matter of fact I am only applying to dental schools now. but I noticed that there are fellowship positions offered on AAOMS website and one of them is microneurosurgery for omfs people... I was wondering what the scope of the practice will be for someone who finishes this fellowship? and what are some of the diseases or complications that can be treated by one with this specialty?
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

headsup said:
I am not in any OS program. as a matter of fact I am only applying to dental schools now. but I noticed that there are fellowship positions offered on AAOMS website and one of them is microneurosurgery for omfs people... I was wondering what the scope of the practice will be for someone who finishes this fellowship? and what are some of the diseases or complications that can be treated by one with this specialty?
thanks in advance

Well most all maxfacs (as well as ENTs) should receive this type of training in their normal training programs. Basically, If you are doing head/neck reconstruction after trauma/cancer; then will of course have to be capable of repairing nerves located in these areas if they are severed/torn. In the scope of OMS I think this predominantly refers to Facial N., IAN., etc.

Again, you should receive this training in your residency. But fellowships are set up for surgeons who would like some additional training in that area.

Hope that helps!

Dr.Millisevert said:
Well most all maxfacs (as well as ENTs) should receive this type of training in their normal training programs. Basically, If you are doing head/neck reconstruction after trauma/cancer; then will of course have to be capable of repairing nerves located in these areas if they are severed/torn. In the scope of OMS I think this predominantly refers to Facial N., IAN., etc.

Again, you should receive this training in your residency. But fellowships are set up for surgeons who would like some additional training in that area.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for you help, so I assume it will mostly deal with trauma/reconstruction rather than any congenital nerve complications.

Members don't see this ad :)
headsup said:
Thanks for you help, so I assume it will mostly deal with trauma/reconstruction rather than any congenital nerve complications.

It could be applicable to any case. But in general, as a surgery trainee as well as when your out in the real world. Your just not going to see many congenital problems that would require this type of surgery (rare). Compared to the MVAs, theif who got tagged in the head with a tire iron, domestic violence case where wife slashed hubby cross the face with the butcher knife. ;) Cancer cases, and sometimes of course the risk is always there when removing impacted lower 3rd molar teeth for injury to the IAN., some of these patients will sometimes have permanently numb lower lips and sometimes elect like to have surgery to attept to repair this injury.

Dr.Millisevert said:
It could be applicable to any case. But in general, as a surgery trainee as well as when your out in the real world. Your just not going to see many congenital problems that would require this type of surgery (rare). Compared to the MVAs, theif who got tagged in the head with a tire iron, domestic violence case where wife slashed hubby cross the face with the butcher knife. ;) Cancer cases, and sometimes of course the risk is always there when removing impacted lower 3rd molar teeth for injury to the IAN., some of these patients will sometimes have permanently numb lower lips and sometimes elect like to have surgery to attept to repair this injury.

Assuming that I enjoy this type of surgery... do you as someone who is knowledgeable about the residency, think it's worth going through this type of a fellowship? (assuming money is not an issue, and this fellowship is as much desirable as any other fellowships out there)? and also whether there would be enough people in need of treatment by someone who has been trained more in microneurosurgery, other words; do you think it will be in demand, or it'll just be a title? (let's say compared to craniofacial fellowship)

headsup said:
Assuming that I enjoy this type of surgery... do you as someone who is knowledgeable about the residency, think it's worth going through this type of a fellowship? (assuming money is not an issue, and this fellowship is as much desirable as any other fellowships out there)? and also whether there would be enough people in need of treatment by someone who has been trained more in microneurosurgery, other words; do you think it will be in demand, or it'll just be a title? (let's say compared to craniofacial fellowship)

I would say, you should first worry about acceptance to dental school, and then subsequently a maxfac training programme. Then worry about fellowships. ;)
But to answer your question, If I had to choose I would probably pick a microvascular (which includes a lot of microneural of course), or a craniofacial fellowship over a microneural one. It all depends on what aspects of oms that you are interested in. Again, focus on one thing at a time. (dental school first) good luck!

Dr.Millisevert said:
I would say, you should first worry about acceptance to dental school, and then subsequently a maxfac training programme. Then worry about fellowships. ;)
But to answer your question, If I had to choose I would probably pick a microvascular (which includes a lot of microneural of course), or a craniofacial fellowship over a microneural one. It all depends on what aspects of oms that you are interested in. Again, focus on one thing at a time. (dental school first) good luck!

Thanks for your help... I just need a dim view of where I am going while takinig my steps... but again thanks