Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Microwaves and Laptops

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DocGibby, Apr 14, 2000.

1. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Who makes the best mircowaves? I need one for my apartment.
    Also, I've decided upon a notebook computer. So I ask those that know, what are the good brands? I'd like to hear about good and bad experiences with certain brands. Furthermore, I'm thinking of purchasing it on the web. Does anyone know of a good online vendor or any that I should best steer clear of? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

While I don't use a laptop, I do have a Dell desktop, and I have found them to be absolutely great! They have a great website you can order from, they always offer free customer service, and I have had almost zero technical problems with my desktop. I know they have a laptop series, and I would recommend at least checking out their site. I have been very pleased and every computer I buy in the future will be a Dell. Sorry, I can't help with the microwave thing [​IMG]

4. Lee

Lee Sleestack
    Staff Member Administrator

Attending Physician
    For a laptop, I think there are a number of excellent choices. Although Mac is really cool, I think Windows is the best platform right now for Internet access and for finding medically related titles.

For brands, always stick with the name brands -- I've found laptops have more problems generally than desktops (probably due to their compact size and from being bounced around during travel). You'll want to buy a computer that has a decent warranty and good customer service.

I purchased a laptop in November, settling on a Sony laptop -- great price for an amazing full size screen, thin profile, built-in firewire and DVD-ROM: Sony PCG-F350. No problems to date!

However, I almost purchased a Gateway laptop. They've got decent prices for high-powered machines, plus their support is better than most. A friend of mine purchased their PIII 350Mhz machine in January and really likes it -- no problems!

Those two brands I'd recommend for you. No matter what you choose, try to purchase the fastest computer that you can afford. For more info, go to http://www.cnet.com

For vendor, I went with PC Connection because they have always had good customer service, cheap overnight shipping, and a good return policy. However, I've also purchased computers from buy.com and onsale.com -- both have good prices but I don't know about their customer service.

As far as microwaves, I don't have a clue. Stick to the brand names I guess?

5. UHS-Aggie

UHS-Aggie Junior Member

I too have a Sony laptop and I've never had any trouble. Mine is the PCG-F180 but I've had it a year so I'm sure there are newer models out now. Good luck!

6. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Those sonys are a little pricey, but they strike me as very high quality campared to Toshiba or Compaq or most anyone else for that matter. I like the huge vibrant displays that they offer. The Dells look really nice as well. None of the stores around town seem to carry them. So I can't get a first hand look.

Here's a question I've been bouncing around for the techies in the crowd. Are the AMD processors inferior to Intel models of the same speed? Sony doesn't even appear to offer anything but Intel. Most other makes seem to have both. I've been considering going to the AMD to save cash. It's obvious that intel chips are way overpriced, but does the higher cost translate into better quality or greater speed, etc..? Any thoughts?

7. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

By the way Lee, what is a firewire?

8. larryj

larryj Member

Microwave: You cant go wrong with Amana Appliances!

Firewire = a port that supports IEEE 1394, you need one of these to transfer digital video from a digital or digital 8 recorder to your pc. (sony usually has them included, other brands you will need to install one).

9. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

As far as the Dells go I don't think they are sold anywhere but on line. I fyou are like me that is a drawback because I really like to play with something to make sure I like it before I buy it. Dell's are great lap tops though.

I bought a compaq and I probably never will again. The first several months I had my computer it was nothing but trouble ( it crashed all of the time) Compaq tech support told me it was because I was putting programs on the computer (Microsoft Office) and that I just shouldn't put those things on it and I wouldn't have and problems.

Another thing to consider when getting a lap top is how long are you going to keep it? Will you be needing (or wanting) a newer, better faster one in 2 years? If so I probably wouldn't go buy a top of the line laptop especially if it is going to be a second computer. IF it is going to be your main computer maybe.

If I were to do it all over again I would have waited, saved a little money and gone with the dell.

Good Luck

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

10. flipper

flipper Member

I'd have to agree whole heartedly with Hskermdic about Compaq...avoid at all costs!!!

As for the AMD question...I'm running an AMD 7 at 700Mhz and I regularly try to compare it's performance with my Dad's Intel Pentium III 750. Running the same games and programs on each I haven't noticed any difference and there hasn't been any difference in the frequency of lockups or errors. For the money I'd go with the AMD as they have a faster bus speed potential then the Intels, at present. AMD now has a 1gig Mhz available!!!! Can't wait to get the chance to play with one of those!!

Good luck on your decision.

Oh, my Dad's computer is a Dell, no problems with adding programs to it!!!!!

My next comp will be a Dell!

Eric J
    UHS04

[This message has been edited by flipper (edited 04-15-2000).]

11. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Is DVD really necessary? I'm not planning to watch any movies on my computer. Furthermore the chances of me giving a multimedia presentation during Anatomy lab is doubtful at best.

If a computer is listed as having an 8x DVD drive (for example) how does that translate into the maximum speed for just regular CDs? For instance, would a 4x DVD drive be faster than a 24x CD ROM?

Thanks for all the responses so far, I've got lots to learn so I'm soaking this stuff up like a sponge. Keep em' coming.

12. flipper

flipper Member

I didn't think that dvd was anything I needed or would ever need. Like you, I didn't think I'd ever watch a movie on my computer, but occasionally its fun to watch a movie on it!!

I'm not sure about the speed ratings. Aren't DVD drives rated like 4x6x48 or something like that? Or maybe I'm thinking about CDR-w drives.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help than that!

Eric J
    UHS04

13. togo

togo Senior Member

Don't worry about the microwave just yet. Most professors don't require them, and if they do, you can usually share with a partner.

14. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Microwave---Hell, go to Wal-Mart and buy on that will suit your needs. Then, when and if it dies...take it back! Everyone knows Wal-Mart will take back anything made within the last decade!!!

Laptops...I have a Gateway and love it. A buddy of mine has a Dell and also loves it...in fact, most of our class has either a Gateway, Dell or an IBM thinkpad. Another good friend of mine [ole Carrie there] has a Compaq. After watching her stuggle with it...it's about the quality level of firewood! Besides, I sit directly in front of her and her floppy, hard-drive and CD-Rom have got to be the noisiest damned pices of equipment I have ever heard! In fact, the din drowns out my fervent 'hunt 'N' peck' style of typing--->she ays I pound the hell out of the keyboard!

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

15. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

Now lets be fare here. My compaq is worth a LITTLE more than firewood. It is load though. Sometimes I think the poor think is having seizures it makes such horrible noises.

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. flipper

flipper Member

About the best I can say about my Compaq is that I can throw it farther than I can my Gateway!!!!

Eric J
    UHS04

18. Fiona

Fiona Member

Well, I have a seriously old Toshiba which I will be trading in soon, but I've never had any trouble with it at all. As for Compaqs - they may look nice, but thy're more trouble than they're worth - and customer support on the phone costs a fortune!

Microwaves? Not a clue, although I've a Sanyo at home which hums along nicely...

19. dolly

dolly Member

I tried out a lot of laptops before deciding to stick with a desktop for a while. This might sound weird but I was only pleased with the mouse on the toshiba and fujitsu. Gateways were very disappointing (however, it may just have been the Gateway store near my home) the keys did not respond well and the little mices were not precise enough. You can get an attachment mouse though. Also, I found that typing for extended periods on a laptop was very tiring for my hands. And the scrolling is a lot slower and sometimes shadows making your eyeballs go wacka-wacka. If I had bought one it would have been Fujitsu, Dell or Toshiba. I believe the Dell offers the most powerful today. Good luck.

20. If I had the money, I would have bought a Dell, since I think they are the best. I haven't had any problems with my desktop in nearly two years.

I went with a Toshiba and have been very satisfied with it.

On another note, I have been enjoying free web access for a couple of months now. Check out www.freewwweb.com.

It's the real deal. [​IMG]

21. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

So I guess it's fair to conclude based upon SDN member feedback that Compaqs:

1) Blow
    2) Are exceptional shot-puts (according to flipper)
    3) Shouldn't be touched with a 10 ft. pole

22. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    You forgot their potential as firewood!!

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

23. DO1DAY

DO1DAY Member

Obviously, nobody owns a brand new compaq laptop- I got mine just a couple months ago- newest one on the market and I love it, so maybe you guys might want to rethink using it for firewood or shotput [​IMG]

24. flipper

flipper Member

I'm leaning towards using my compaq laptop as a discus not as a shotput, although I've a few friends that say they use thier compaq laptops for frisbee golf!!! These would be the same friends that talked me into compaq to begin with!

Eric J
    UHS04

25. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

DO1DAY,

Give it a few months, I have a feeling you'll be revisting this topic once that warrenty expires. Most likely with some new uses for that Compaq of yours.

26. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

Mine worked fine for the first 3 months of its life. As far as what to do with a Compaq I was thinking it would feel really good to take the thing and throw it off the top of the hospital and let it crash onto the pavement below.

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

27. dodoc

dodoc Junior Member

I just ordered my second laptop from Dell so clearly I have a lot of confidence with their products. I did have one minor problem with my first one which required it to be sent back for repair. Called Dell who arranged for pickup by Airborne Express that day (they also provided the shipping box) and got it back about 4-5 days later. I would say that the biggest strength about getting a Dell system is their customer support. You can reach a tech any time with hardly any wait. Plus, if you ever have a problem that needs repairing, they will arrange everything for you. The new Inspiron laptops also come with a 3 year on site warranty which I guess means that someone will actually come out and look at your laptop for you. I don't find Dell to be much more expensive than other brands so I would definately recommend them.

28. DO1DAY

DO1DAY Member

Actually, I have had my compaq since September, and it was the newest computer on the market, with more features than any of the other ones...so much for the 3 month rule, I still like it...

29. unsure

unsure Member

Compaq is expected to report subpar earnings tomorrow. Compaq is going down... actually I think they are getting out of the home pc market altogether.