Mid 20's career change to vet med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noellehallman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone....

I have recently decided to fulfill my dream of becoming a vet! I start back to school to get my second bachelor's this summer and I am so excited! I graduated in 2003 with a GPA under 3.0 in Public Relations. I plan on taking all the pre-req classes while maintaining my full time job so I have a lot of work ahead of me and I was just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same boat? I would love to hear from you! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Yay! Welcome! I am exactly in the same boat. Just finished my first semester back taking one pre-req. I am also going to continue working full-time until I (hopefully) get in! I hear you on having a lot of work ahead, but I know it will be worth it. Good luck! :D

Hey!

I'm sort of in the same boat...I sped the process up a bit (graduated and then decided pretty much right away that I didn't want to do anything with my degree and that I'd hate myself if I didn't at least *try* to become a vet)

Don't freak out too much! Yes, it's a LOT of work. But I found that being able to do *just* science courses was easier for me than trying to get them in when I was also taking other classes. It gave me more focus and motivation. And now I LOVE science - to the point where my back-up plan has shifted to seeking higher education in chemistry, instead of something humanities-based.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! Welcome! I am exactly in the same boat. Just finished my first semester back taking one pre-req. I am also going to continue working full-time until I (hopefully) get in! I hear you on having a lot of work ahead, but I know it will be worth it. Good luck! :D

So how did your first semester go? Was it difficult making the adjustment going back to school?

I didn't decide I wanted to be a vet until I was 24. I'm now 28 and just finished my first year of vet school. It's totally possible. Just make sure to do well on your pre-reqs and get that animal/veterinary experience. There are lots of us out there, so stay positive! If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

So how did your first semester go? Was it difficult making the adjustment going back to school?

For me, it wasn't too much of an adjustment because I had just finished a grad program in August, which was full-time. I had to balance that with working full-time, so this semester wasn't too bad at all! I also think that I am a "school person," whereas others just despise it. That may help my situation, too. :)

Hi everyone....

I have recently decided to fulfill my dream of becoming a vet! I start back to school to get my second bachelor's this summer and I am so excited! I graduated in 2003 with a GPA under 3.0 in Public Relations. I plan on taking all the pre-req classes while maintaining my full time job so I have a lot of work ahead of me and I was just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same boat? I would love to hear from you! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!
If anything, you'll have an interesting background story to talk about during your interviews. That's always a leg up.
Best of luck. If you've got the drive, you'll do it, no doubt.

I didn't decide I wanted to be a vet until I was 24. I'm now 28 and just finished my first year of vet school. It's totally possible. Just make sure to do well on your pre-reqs and get that animal/veterinary experience. There are lots of us out there, so stay positive! If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Thanks Pressmom! I am 26 right now and I will be 29 when I apply. Did you find yourself at a disadvantage being a non traditional student?

Thanks Pressmom! I am 26 right now and I will be 29 when I apply. Did you find yourself at a disadvantage being a non traditional student?

Not really. If anything, I feel it's an advantage because I didn't feel pushed to do this, I had to really want it. I didn't fall into it. (Not saying AT ALL that traditional students have it easier, though....just different challenges.) The only thing that shocked me after being out of school for so long was how hard it is to balance 7 classes even when you're used to balancing work, school, and volunteering. There's nothing that can prepare you for vet school anyway, so I don't think it's that big a deal.

Only occasionally do I feel older than my classmates. My best friend is traditional and the only time I notice is when I say something like, "Remember in 1989 when X movie came out?" and she'll say no. But other than that, not a big deal. But there is the inherent vet school drama. But when you're older I think it's easier not to take it so personally.

That's all I can think of for now.

Only occasionally do I feel older than my classmates. My best friend is traditional and the only time I notice is when I say something like, "Remember in 1989 when X movie came out?" and she'll say no.

By far the most depressing part of my non-trad undergrad experience! "What do you MEAN you've never heard of Punky Brewster?!?!?!" :laugh:

i got into vet med after having a career in public policy research for 10 years. i'm 34 and just finished my first year so...it can be done! somedays the being-an-older-career-changer feels like a disadvantage in that i wasn't ever a science major and have not spent years immersed in the things we're studying now. i feel like i'm playing catch-up to some of my classmates who were some kind of science major and have had very recent, in-depth study of things we do in vet school. on the other hand, there are so many other tangible and intangible advantages to being older (i've already had a career, know how to network for contacts/jobs/etc, and just the breadth of things you learn from living and experiencing life) that overall i have to say that it's an advantage.

the age thing is also kind of funny sometimes, too, as in:

i was talking one day with a classmate about Scott Baio. I said, "Oh, yeah, from Happy Days." She just looked at me kind of strange and said, "No, from Charles in Charge..."

I felt really old.

By far the most depressing part of my non-trad undergrad experience! "What do you MEAN you've never heard of Punky Brewster?!?!?!" :laugh:

I'm a 26 year old career changer too. I've been working in law for the last 6 years as a legal assistant, and I just decided recently to go back and give pre-vet a try. I did originally want to do this when I got out of high school 8 years ago, but I wasn't exactly focused in those days. I have about 2 years of pre-reqs in front of me too (starting this fall!)

Right now I'm busting my butt studying college algebra (for the first time in 7 years) so that I can take a placement test and hopefully avoid having to retake it. I tell you that part of my brain is rusty - but it's coming back.

what type of schools are you guys taking your pre-reqs at? I've looked around at a bunch of schools, and keep getting told that, because of budget cuts they are no longer taking post-bacc or 2nd BA/BS students. How are you getting around this? (or is it not a problem in your area)

(for those from my area I've tried Cal Poly Pomona, Cal State Fullerton and Cal State Long Beach)

what type of schools are you guys taking your pre-reqs at? I've looked around at a bunch of schools, and keep getting told that, because of budget cuts they are no longer taking post-bacc or 2nd BA/BS students. How are you getting around this? (or is it not a problem in your area)

(for those from my area I've tried Cal Poly Pomona, Cal State Fullerton and Cal State Long Beach)

As a career changer myself, (quite a bit older than mid-20's, though), I first met with Illinois' CVM (my only choice) to be sure I was meeting their requirements. From this I learned that most pre-req's could be thru a CC, which has a much friendly schedule for folks still working, with the exception of a few courses which needed to be junior/senior level courses at a "four-year accredited institution." Now, in my case I already have a BS which included quite a bit of science, so this was not a problem. I just enrolled for the one class I needed (at the university) as a non-degree student.

The take home message? Check with the schools you are interested in applying to and become familiar with what they require and how you can fulfill it.

Good Luck!

I actually went back to the university that I graduated from in 2003 as a "continuing student." It was a very easy process. This is in Atlanta, GA.

I'm a 26 year old career changer too. I've been working in law for the last 6 years as a legal assistant, and I just decided recently to go back and give pre-vet a try. I did originally want to do this when I got out of high school 8 years ago, but I wasn't exactly focused in those days. I have about 2 years of pre-reqs in front of me too (starting this fall!)

Right now I'm busting my butt studying college algebra (for the first time in 7 years) so that I can take a placement test and hopefully avoid having to retake it. I tell you that part of my brain is rusty - but it's coming back.

I actually decided to take College Algebra and Pre-Calculus over again because I have heard that the quant section in the GRE is built around the basic fundamentals of algebra. I am just curious if you have already taken the GRE and don't need the refresher course or if you feel that it is not necessary for the GRE?

Hooray for non-trads!
I dropped out of college 10 years ago with a 1.6 GPA. Four years ago, I decided to fix it. I worked 45-70 hours a week and took 12-18 credits a semester. I had no support of any kind. Disregarding grades from the last millennium, I applied to vet school with a 3.75 GPA. I was accepted at Cornell, CSU, and UC Davis.
My social life was pathetic! I am sure I have taken years off my life by drinking 1.5 pots of coffee a day :) It can be done, and requires only motivation. Everything else will happen if you make it. I had to fight to get into nearly every class I took. I worked graveyard shifts and studied whenever I found five minutes. I learned the material so well that when a misinformed city college prof tried sweep poorly worded tests under the rug, I was able to defend myself.
I believe that it was my show of determination that got me in. Let 'em know you mean it!
I am also confident that if I went to vet school at the age of 22, I would now be a terrible and unsatisfied doctor. No amount of money would convince me to go back ten years and give up the life lessons I learned.
I think (don't quote me!) that admissions boards like non-trads.
Make it happen!

Hooray for non-trads!
I dropped out of college 10 years ago with a 1.6 GPA. Four years ago, I decided to fix it. I worked 45-70 hours a week and took 12-18 credits a semester. I had no support of any kind. Disregarding grades from the last millennium, I applied to vet school with a 3.75 GPA. I was accepted at Cornell, CSU, and UC Davis.
My social life was pathetic! I am sure I have taken years off my life by drinking 1.5 pots of coffee a day :) It can be done, and requires only motivation. Everything else will happen if you make it. I had to fight to get into nearly every class I took. I worked graveyard shifts and studied whenever I found five minutes. I learned the material so well that when a misinformed city college prof tried sweep poorly worded tests under the rug, I was able to defend myself.
I believe that it was my show of determination that got me in. Let 'em know you mean it!
I am also confident that if I went to vet school at the age of 22, I would now be a terrible and unsatisfied doctor. No amount of money would convince me to go back ten years and give up the life lessons I learned.
I think (don't quote me!) that admissions boards like non-trads.
Make it happen!

Cock a too, you are awesome! So which school will you be attending?

I actually decided to take College Algebra and Pre-Calculus over again because I have heard that the quant section in the GRE is built around the basic fundamentals of algebra. I am just curious if you have already taken the GRE and don't need the refresher course or if you feel that it is not necessary for the GRE?

I have not taken the GRE yet. I'm trying to avoid retaking algebra purely for cost reasons. The school I'm at for pre-req courses will only transfer math credits that have been received in the last 2 years. If you want to avoid retaking the class, you have to assess at a high enough level. My physics classes have an algebra pre-req, so you see where my dilemma is. I don't need to retake the class when all I really need is a review.

I'm not sure that retaking algebra and pre-calc will be that worthwhile, unless you really have no confidence in your math skills. Or you need to redress earlier bad grades. Or rack up credit hours. I think a better strategy would be to invest in a Princeton Review and Kaplan book and work your way through the math parts (they're very good at making sure that every concept you need is covered). It will stop you wasting brain space, time, and money on things you don't really need to know, and help you focus on the things you do. Another strategy is to download the free GRE prep pdf from the ETS website. The Quant Review section is like a textbook presentation of all the math concepts on the exam.

20-something? Oh pleeze! I'll be 34 this summer! ...I'll be the granny doing needlepoint in your anatomy lab (that is, if a granny like me can ever get in)!