mid-cGPA, low-sGPA, low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartneonatal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
disclaimer this is a first time post...so I would love some help or even just encouraging words! My current dilemma is not knowing whether I should apply in June when I would have around: 3.47 cGPA, 3.11 sGPA OR in August after summer classes, when I hope I have: 3.52 cGPA and 3.25 sGPA.
As of now, I've taken the January version of the MCAT. I averaged 25 on practice exams and I feel pretty confident the actual test went the same way. I'm leaning towards retaking the 2015 version once I figure out what month I want to apply.

Here is what I have going for me:
  • UF student/Florida resident
  • Health Education & Behavior/Biology double major, Health Disparities in Society minor, Honors program
  • Hispanic, first generation college student, underprivileged, underrepresented minority
  • Resident Assistant on campus for 1 year
  • Student Assistant on campus for 2+ years (worked both jobs simultaneously at one point)
  • premed student organization Director for 2 years
  • Research Assistant in clinical setting for 2+ years
  • Research Assistant in behavioral medicine (non-clinical) 1 year
  • Shadowing: currently around 8 hours (anesthesiologist) but will continue the rest of the semester
  • Global Medical Training international spring break volunteer trip experience
  • 60 hours NICU volunteering at the hospital
  • Preview (orientation) Leader for my college during a summer
I have other things like honor society membership etc but the above is the bulk of how I spent my time during undergrad.

Is the advantage of applying early great enough to risk having lower stats or can I still have a shot if I wait until a later August application date? Do I even look at MD schools or should I go DO? Any tips on what schools to apply to? Thank you SO much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

IF you can score in the high 20s (let's say a 28 minimum), then aim for all FL schools (DO + MD).

It might be worth applying to one school in June to get verified, than nail the rest of the lot as soon as you get your Aug grades. the waek sGPA is going to be an issue, but if you have a strong rising trend, that will help offset somewhat.

Also suggest newest MD schools (except Hofstra and Va Tech) and most DO schools.

Do not retake the MCAT unless you are sure you can bring your score up substantially. If you have test taking deficits, fix them.

Hey everyone!
disclaimer this is a first time post...so I would love some help or even just encouraging words! My current dilemma is not knowing whether I should apply in June when I would have around: 3.47 cGPA, 3.11 sGPA OR in August after summer classes, when I hope I have: 3.52 cGPA and 3.25 sGPA.
As of now, I've taken the January version of the MCAT. I averaged 25 on practice exams and I feel pretty confident the actual test went the same way. I'm leaning towards retaking the 2015 version once I figure out what month I want to apply.

Here is what I have going for me:
  • UF student/Florida resident
  • Health Education & Behavior/Biology double major, Health Disparities in Society minor, Honors program
  • Hispanic, first generation college student, underprivileged, underrepresented minority
  • Resident Assistant on campus for 1 year
  • Student Assistant on campus for 2+ years (worked both jobs simultaneously at one point)
  • premed student organization Director for 2 years
  • Research Assistant in clinical setting for 2+ years
  • Research Assistant in behavioral medicine (non-clinical) 1 year
  • Shadowing: currently around 8 hours (anesthesiologist) but will continue the rest of the semester
  • Global Medical Training international spring break volunteer trip experience
  • 60 hours NICU volunteering at the hospital
  • Preview (orientation) Leader for my college during a summer
I have other things like honor society membership etc but the above is the bulk of how I spent my time during undergrad.

Is the advantage of applying early great enough to risk having lower stats or can I still have a shot if I wait until a later August application date? Do I even look at MD schools or should I go DO? Any tips on what schools to apply to? Thank you SO much in advance!!

IF you can score in the high 20s (let's say a 28 minimum), then aim for all FL schools (DO + MD).

It might be worth applying to one school in June to get verified, than nail the rest of the lot as soon as you get your Aug grades. the waek sGPA is going to be an issue, but if you have a strong rising trend, that will help offset somewhat.

Also suggest newest MD schools (except Hofstra and Va Tech) and most DO schools.

Do not retake the MCAT unless you are sure you can bring your score up substantially. If you have test taking deficits, fix them.

Thank you! After taking too many science classes all at once with the 2 jobs I have a really good rising trend so I've been hopeful there.

Last edited: