Midwest OT School Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTdreamer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in going to an OT program in the Midwest, preferably in Wisconsin, Illinois or Minnesota. Did anyone get accepted to programs there or are current students and willing to share their stats? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Major: psychology
Overall GPA: 3.9
Pre-req GPA: 3.9 (actually not totally sure)
GRE: 158 Verbal, 149 Quantitative, 4.0 Writing
Observation: hand therapy, SNF, pediatrics - 90 hours but mostly in hand therapy
Unrelated Volunteer/Work: animal shelter, research assistant, library assistant, note taker for disability service (forgot to put that on any applications)
Acceptances: Rush University
Rejections: UIC
Waitlist: Belmont University, Midwestern University

I was still working on most pre-reqs during the application process. I suggest that you apply to a lot of schools... especially public schools! Good luck!

I realize I'm bumping a thread that's over 4 months old... I'm just really shocked that the above poster didn't get accepted into UIC with a 3.9 GPA.. I know there are a lot of variables that come into account here... but rejected with a 3.9?! I must say, that really makes me worried. I plan on applying to UIC in December (as my 1st pick & MWU as my 2nd).

I think this may be more proof that UIC places a lot of emphasis in the personal statement.
(no offense to the above poster). I just mean....... a 3.9 GPA and rejected?! Wtf!

Anybody else out there get rejected from UIC with stats similar those? ...is UIC THAT competitive where you need a 4.0 to get accepted?

my stats:
3.76 overall GPA (currently in my senior year, dbl major in psych and sociology.)
3.8 prereq GPA (missing A&P part II)
GRE (haven't taken yet)
80 hours of observation, mostly in inpatient hospital setting
Other: Psi Chi (psych honor society), Alpha Kappa Delta (soc honor society) 5 years active duty in the army -Iraq war vet, ...and I'm a Male.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a 2nd year student at UIC.

I do think that UIC does put a lot of emphasis on other life experiences and one's personal statement when deciding who to accept. Probably another reason for this is that they do not conduct interviews. Nonetheless, I'm surprised a 3.9 was rejected and not put on the waitlist.

A rejected 3.9? I'm as shocked as the other threaders. I was planning on applying for UIC too, but now I don't know if I'll be wasting my money or not. Do you think they put a lot more emphasis on GRE scores? No offense to the poster (his/her scores are better than mine)

I can't speak about the other schools, but Minnesota is incredibly competitive. I think a lot of that has to do with being one of only two programs in the area and it's hybrid format that seems to be pretty heavy on the at-home self study. Lots of people seem to like the idea of studying at home and only going into campus a couple times a month...

I can't speak about the other schools, but Minnesota is incredibly competitive. I think a lot of that has to do with being one of only two programs in the area and it's hybrid format that seems to be pretty heavy on the at-home self study. Lots of people seem to like the idea of studying at home and only going into campus a couple times a month...

Which is interesting! I was considering U of Minnesota but after talking to about four occupational therapists involved in their own practices, they were against this program. They felt that you can't get the same type of involved learning as in the classroom/lab and weren't shy about turning away job candidates for having an online/hybrid MOT degree. But I'm certain it would all depend on the type of facility you are looking to work at!

Which is interesting! I was considering U of Minnesota but after talking to about four occupational therapists involved in their own practices, they were against this program. They felt that you can't get the same type of involved learning as in the classroom/lab and weren't shy about turning away job candidates for having an online/hybrid MOT degree. But I'm certain it would all depend on the type of facility you are looking to work at!

I've heard similar things as you. I work at a hospital in the Twin Cities area now as a rehab aide and there is a casual aide here and she is in the Twin Cities program. She's told me she wouldn't recommend it and most of her class feels the same way. Apparently the hybrid format is really difficult and communication with professors is a lot harder to do. She said she doesn't really feel prepared for Level 2 fieldworks, which happen after 4 didactic semesters. But there was another aide who used to work here while he was in the U's OT program and he really liked the format. He graduated last year though so perhaps the program has changed for the worse since then :(

Also, the rehab department at my hospital accepts OT fieldwork students from the U but I heard that they are not accepting them at the moment while they look at the contract with the school. Apparently they've felt like the U's students aren't prepared enough when they come here. I personally worked with one earlier this spring from the U who really seemed to be struggling. I've heard having a Level 2 fieldwork in acute care can have a really steep learning curve if you don't have prior experience, so maybe that was part of it.

I don't know, the U used to be my first choice but after hearing so many negative things, I'm really hoping I get in somewhere else! Maybe it's all about having the right fit with the program and I'm hoping that my acute care experience will help, but it just seems like a lot of money for an online hybrid program that doesn't seem super well organized.

If any current or past U of M students have any information, I think everyone here would really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user