Midwestern Biomedical Science MA, AZ 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you once again for all this valuable info, jane and zwarrior!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed by phone: 5/6.
Just got letter today (dated 5/7) that I'm on alternate list (unranked). It says they "can't predict how many (if any) people will be accepted from the list, as the number varies significantly year by year."
Anyone else get an alternate? I'm considering writing a letter of intent, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of other schools.

They HAD an interview agreement, I believe it was kept a 3.0 in the first two quarters and have a DAT score within 1 SD of their avg and you would be guaranteed an interview for the dental school that cycle. They have since changed it, they now have more of an "acceptance" agreement. I was sent a copy of the agreement and it states that the dental school will reserve 10 spots for the biomed students (I'm pretty sure there is always less than 10 pre dents in the program) and you are guaranteed one of those seats if you have at least a cumulative GPA of 3.6 through winter quarter of the biomedical program, DAT AA 20, RC 20, and total DAT of 118, and perform "above average" on the interview.
Did they specifically said 20 RC for guaranteed acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if you get accepted into MWU's ultimate program (dent/med/etc), will some the classes already taken at MWU transferrable or waived from having to retake? Has anyone heard anything about this?

I wonder if you get accepted into MWU's ultimate program (dent/med/etc), will some the classes already taken at MWU transferrable or waived from having to retake? Has anyone heard anything about this?

Definitely not for Med at least- not sure about dental. I talked to the organ director, and he said the classes are roughly ~70% of the content/intensity of the med school classes, so while you will have to take all of the classes, you will have an advantage because you just took a very similar class.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely not for Med at least- not sure about dental. I talked to the organ director, and he said the classes are roughly ~70% of the content/intensity of the med school classes, so while you will have to take all of the classes, you will have an advantage because you just took a very similar class.
do they guarantee acceptance for pre med students as well?

do they guarantee acceptance for pre med students as well?

Sorry, that was "program director", not "organ director". For the medical school, its a guaranteed interview with a 3.0 gpa in the program and an MCAT score within one standard deviation of the average of the most recent class, but there is no guaranteed acceptance.

Sorry, that was "program director", not "organ director". For the medical school, its a guaranteed interview with a 3.0 gpa in the program and an MCAT score within one standard deviation of the average of the most recent class, but there is no guaranteed acceptance.
Thx. Lol. For a moment there, I thought he was so bored with his organ director position such that he has to take on counseling curriculum courses. It's a bummer that we would have to retake it again...but on the brightside, it should be easier A on second round? Is he ortho, meta, or para director?

Did they specifically said 20 RC for guaranteed acceptance?
I actually just took that info straight from the actual written agreement they have that admissions sent me, so I'm guessing 20 RC would be required.. I don't think that being below would mean you wouldn't get in but they could use that as a reason to not accept you perhaps? I would say talk to someone in the program about it to get more details on how that would alter your chances!

Thx. Lol. For a moment there, I thought he was so bored with his organ director position such that he has to take on counseling curriculum courses. It's a bummer that we would have to retake it again...but on the brightside, it should be easier A on second round? Is he ortho, meta, or para director?

Yeah from what I've heard, the other M1 students are kind of jealous because some of the classes are basically a review for the students who did the masters program.

do you guys know when the program officially starts? do we have to be there by July 27th ?

do you guys know when the program officially starts? do we have to be there by July 27th ?

Pretty sure orientation is August 17th and first lecture is the 24th a week later.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone planning to retake DAT/MCAT this summer?

is anyone planning to retake DAT/MCAT this summer?
I'm currently studying to retake the DAT! I'm planning on taking it towards the end of July, before the program starts.

I'm currently studying to retake the DAT! I'm planning on taking it towards the end of July, before the program starts.
If you don't mind, could you share your previous DAT score?

same thing here .. I was originally planning to take it in June , but I soon noticed Im not gonna be ready and I cant really mess up the second time around!! I hope this would be the last time we study for this test !

Anyone know when the next round of students are going to get accepted/rejected?

I found out about this program super late and just applied this past month. The seats seem to be full as I was put on the waitlist. Is there a chance of me getting into the program still? Anyone know how the waitlist works and when I would be likely to found out. I got accepted however on the chicago campus but since I'm from california, arizona would be more convenient for me.

what are you guys planning to put as ' course planned " in your application?

Hey guys! I'm in the 2 year program but I'm pretty sure that we will be taking the same classes. Is anybody looking for a room mate? Planning to live off campus. As for living preferences, I just want to live close to the school. I am a male if anybody was wondering. Contact me if interested!

Hi,

Can any former students from this program please tell me weather or not it would be advisable to take an elective in the first quarter or any quarter for that matter? The electives sound interesting but I don't want to take one and have it be too much to handle along with all my core classes. Thanks again!

Hey guys! I'm in the 2 year program but I'm pretty sure that we will be taking the same classes. Is anybody looking for a room mate? Planning to live off campus. As for living preferences, I just want to live close to the school. I am a male if anybody was wondering. Contact me if interested!
Hey I just got my acceptance today. I am also looking for a roommate.

I found out about this program super late and just applied this past month. The seats seem to be full as I was put on the waitlist. Is there a chance of me getting into the program still? Anyone know how the waitlist works and when I would be likely to found out. I got accepted however on the chicago campus but since I'm from california, arizona would be more convenient for me.

I found out super late too and applied the last day. I had my interview this past Friday and got my acceptance today. I actually live 10 min away from the Chicago campus. I wonder if we could possibly switch spots? lol

I had a 3.2 cumulative/ 3.1 BCP. DAT was a 19. I applied in early February, interviewed middle of February and was accepted a week later. I'm re-applying to school, retaking the DAT, and planning on doing the Master's as my GPA is lacking.

They have new linkage agreements with the school, basically saying they have to take 10 people from the Biomed program. To auto-qualify for that, you need a 3.6 in the first 2 quarters and a DAT score of 118(total of all sections). From what I've heard from a few people in the program, they felt it was very difficult but they felt it really prepared them for dental school. They enjoyed the school and felt the professors were really helpful.

This no longer holds true. The new Dean of Admissions (Dr. Pashayan) has announced to all of the masters students that he will not honor this agreement.

I just wonder how many of the 96 were pre-med. Many could have been pre-dental, pre-PA, etc.

Like most years, there is usually a 50/50 split between Dental and DO with maybe a couple of PAs and Opt

I'm concerned about retaking the MCAT. I was accepted to the MABS class this fall, 2016, but my first mcat was pretty low. Does Midwestern incorporate mcat prep into the coursework? Or am I in my own to study for the MCAT outside of my regular MABS curriculum?

I'm concerned about retaking the MCAT. I was accepted to the MABS class this fall, 2016, but my first mcat was pretty low. Does Midwestern incorporate mcat prep into the coursework? Or am I in my own to study for the MCAT outside of my regular MABS curriculum?
MCAT prep is not incorporated into the curriculum, but some of the material covered in the basic science courses will likely be on the MCAT. If you plan on retaking the MCAT, considering the rigor of the MABS program, it is highly encouraged to retake the MCAT in the summer following completion of the program (or prior to beginning the program, if you have adequate time).

MCAT prep is not incorporated into the curriculum, but some of the material covered in the basic science courses will likely be on the MCAT. If you plan on retaking the MCAT, considering the rigor of the MABS program, it is highly encouraged to retake the MCAT in the summer following completion of the program (or prior to beginning the program, if you have adequate time).
Thanks for the clarification.

I have another question in regards to my timeline for the application process. My goal was to start a DO or MD school, if accepted, in the fall of 2017. I'm starting the MABS this fall of 2016. Unfortunately, my MCAT score was 19 on the old format; therefore, I have to retake the MCAT. If I have to retake the MCAT in the summer of 2017, will that hinder my chances of completing an application in time for the Midwestern DO class of 2017? Therefore, does that put me out another year before I could start med school?

I'm just thinking things through before I make a committment to the MABS program. It might be better for me to focus on the MCAT now and start the application cycle this year for the 2017 class.

Sorry for the rambling, my plans got messed up when I failed to make the Pathway Scholars program at UA-Phx. Their program had guaranteed seats for certificate students; therefore, they roll right in with MD1 students when they complete the 1 year coursework.

Unfortunately, the other postbaccs I'm researching do not have that luxury and one would be safe in saying that you will have another 'glide' year after the Masters program because MD1 seats are not guaranteed/linked to make a smooth transition from the postbacc.

I have another question in regards to my timeline for the application process. My goal was to start a DO or MD school, if accepted, in the fall of 2017. I'm starting the MABS this fall of 2016. Unfortunately, my MCAT score was 19 on the old format; therefore, I have to retake the MCAT. If I have to retake the MCAT in the summer of 2017, will that hinder my chances of completing an application in time for the Midwestern DO class of 2017? Therefore, does that put me out another year before I could start med school?

I'm just thinking things through before I make a committment to the MABS program. It might be better for me to focus on the MCAT now and start the application cycle this year for the 2017 class.

Sorry for the rambling, my plans got messed up when I failed to make the Pathway Scholars program at UA-Phx. Their program had guaranteed seats for certificate students; therefore, they roll right in with MD1 students when they complete the 1 year coursework.

Unfortunately, the other postbaccs I'm researching do not have that luxury and one would be safe in saying that you will have another 'glide' year after the Masters program because MD1 seats are not guaranteed/linked to make a smooth transition from the postbacc.

If the MCAT is your only weakness in your application, perhaps the MABS program is not the best choice. This program is great if your undergrad gpa was not strong, and you need a chance to show improvement. For other schools, waiting to retake the Mcat will put you at a serious disadvantage. However, Midwestern students who are put on the waitlist can generally retake the exam after the MABS program and it will be taken into consideration.
If you have issues with Mcat/gpa, it would be awesome if you could study this summer and retake just before beginning the MABS program and then focus on your gpa.
Overall, this program is really great if Midwestern is a top choice for you. Other than that it really depends on the school. Some schools I applied to focused heavily on my graduate program, and others didn't even want to see my graduate gpa (Arizona - Tuscon specifically didn't want my updated transcripts). So look into the specific schools you are interested in to decide what is best for you. This program isn't for everyone. Hope that helps:)

How was your year? How many of your classmates were accepted into professional school? Do you have tips for incoming students hoping to be admitted to a DO program?

Hello, I know its kind of late but I was wondering if you reapplied to the pathway program, from what I hear the majority of their students are reapplicants. I, too, got rejected from pathways and am applying to the MBS at MWU