Midwestern CCP vs. Shenandoah vs. Pacific

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverlearning

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers,
I need your expertise please :oops: If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, it's ok ;). Just tell me which school to go to! I really appreciate your input!

I've been accepted to these 3 schools and I am having a really difficult time deciding. A little background: I'm from Southern California and although location is important, my number one priority is going to a good school that will increase my chances of getting into a residency later!

So what do you guys think?

1. Midwestern CCP (Chicago, IL)
Pros: Well established (1991) and well known, lots of alumni out there (may be a positive when it comes to hiring), seems to have some research opportunities, I like the town and the fact that it's 30 minutes from the big city, big campus feel with different students from various health-care fields, seems to encourage residency and has its own residency programs.
Cons: Around $16K more expensive than the other two options, really large classes (200 ppl), you're assigned a group and you must stay in that group all 3 years (what if we don't get along!?!?!), I'm not sure about the diversity of their experiential learning sites, FREEZING COLD!

2. Shenandoah (Virginia)
Pros: Small classes (100ppl), established in 1996 (I don't feel like it's well known though!), 20% of the class moved on to residency, it has its own residencies, really seems to care about students and profs seem to have close relationship to students, small community feel, possibility of having a rotation at John Hopkins during P4, 1st year will be in Ashburn which is 20 minutes from DC (a city I love), 100% NAPLEX pass rate (2 years in a row), seem to have interesting rotation abroad opportunities, very technologically advanced school (all students get an Iphone and mac book + there are classes about making apps for the Iphone).
Cons: 2nd and 3rd year will be in Winchester which is a really small town (more than 2 hours from DC), I have to move between campuses, not much research going on, don't know if it's a well known school and if that will hurt me when I apply to residencies.

3: Pacific University (Oregon)
Pros: 3 years, closer to home, very cheap to live there, small classes, faculty seems close to students and very nice, block system seems to be an awesome approach to learning, small classes (100ppl).
Cons: 3 years (I've heard some employers and residency programs look down on that), newer school (just got accredited in 2008), very small school in a small town, no research opportunities, no residency programs.

I just want to decide soon so that hopefully:xf:, my spot can be given to someone on the waitlist!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would choose Pacific University because of the cost! I'm deciding mostly on cost. A pharmacist is going to be a pharmacist in the long run. Also, the weather was also a consideration for me.

That is why I declined to interview at CCP. The snow and the cold weather is quite extreme for me.

I know that transitioning from California to Oregon is a major step for me but the staff, faculty and the students made me feel more like a professional rather than a number. They also remember your name. How many schools can do that?

I would choose Pacific University because of the cost! I'm deciding mostly on cost. A pharmacist is going to be a pharmacist in the long run. Also, the weather was also a consideration for me.

That is why I declined to interview at CCP. The snow and the cold weather is quite extreme for me.

I know that transitioning from California to Oregon is a major step for me but the staff, faculty and the students made me feel more like a professional rather than a number. They also remember your name. How many schools can do that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was choosing between Shenandoah and CCP. I chose CCP because it is a well established school. At this point there are so many school opening up and I feel the school with the most credibility will not have an issue with hiring. I know many student at MWU and they are all very happy. I like the feel and location of the campus. Also, you can't go wrong with a 97% pass rate for first time NAPLEX takers.

Cost is very important to some people. I left undergrad with almost 0 debt, so the cost of MWU isn't that important to me. I am more concerned with my happiness and success.

Thanks guys...You both have very good points! Appreciate your help and I guess I'll see one of you this fall :) Can't wait to get this show on the road and start already ;)

I would put them in a hat and whichever one you pull out is the lucky winner :)

No, actually in all seriousness....I would reccommend speaking to some academic advisor at your schools career center or counseling office and maybe they can give the best advice!

Best of luck to you and your decision! I'm sure whichever one you choose...you will adjust and love it :) it's not the school that makes the person...it's the person that makes the school :)

No brainer, go the cheaper route with Pacific. Its less you will have to pay back in the long run. Plus, its closer to home so you have people that are around to support you and to fall back on if need be.

No brainer, go the cheaper route with Pacific. Its less you will have to pay back in the long run. Plus, its closer to home so you have people that are around to support you and to fall back on if need be.

Maybe my math is wrong, but it seems like Pacific and Shenandoah would cost roughly the same.

Pacific is $36,558 x 3 years = $109,674
Shenandoah is $27,500 x 4 years = 110,000

If anything, wouldn't it be cheaper to live in the Virginia boonies than in NorCal?

Maybe my math is wrong, but it seems like Pacific and Shenandoah would cost roughly the same.

Pacific is $36,558 x 3 years = $109,674
Shenandoah is $27,500 x 4 years = 110,000

If anything, wouldn't it be cheaper to live in the Virginia boonies than in NorCal?
Pacific in Oregon.

Pacific in Oregon.

Oh that's right, but the numbers are for Pacific in Oregon. So I'd say cost-wise(tuition + living exp.), those two schools are about the same for someone coming from SoCal.

I agree...its always good to choose the one that costs less...but when there isnt a really BIG difference in the costs....(I mean like like a few thousand dollars is not really going to save you much....because in the end, you will be making enough that these few thousands are meaningless)...that is just what I think....

thats why I think you should base it on the cirriculum of the school and which one you think you would be happier at... :)

You dont want to pay all that money and regret it because you were trying to save money... ya know?

You'll have to weigh out the settle differences in cost. Wheither you decide to go 3yr or 4 year....you must choose one that will make you happy.

So far, Pacific makes me happy. But, the weather doesn't. It's a toss for me too.....deciding between LECOM-Bradenton and Pacific....