Midwestern Glendale, Arizona Post Baccalaureate Master in Biomedical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS DMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Please, help a n00bie out. I'm thinking about applying to this post bac program. Can anyone who went there answer a few questions?

-How hot does it get over there during the summer?
-How rigorous is the program? (How many courses a semester, how many units that is, how difficult/competitive the classes were?)
-Approximately how long did it take you to complete the program?
-Is it really $22k per year?
-How successful were you in terms of dental school admissions upon completion of this program?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

did anyone go here for their post bac? i'm considering this school, too.

So hot. Look it up...most likely between 100-115 all summer. You dont know what that feels like until you experience it. But way better than snow! Lived in AZ for many years and I will return once done with dental school. Glendale is getting real nice also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Please, help a n00bie out. I'm thinking about applying to this post bac program. Can anyone who went there answer a few questions?

-How rigorous is the program? (How many courses a semester, how many units that is, how difficult/competitive the classes were?)
-Approximately how long did it take you to complete the program?
-Is it really $22k per year?
-How successful were you in terms of dental school admissions upon completion of this program?

Thank you very much.

I was a student to this amazing Post-Bac program. I loved it and it was very effective in getting into dental schools (if you do well in it). The program is very rigorious and challenging as you take the basic science courses with the medical students. It's a two-year program on paper, but 99% of the MBS student only complete one year of it because they usually get accepted to their professional school of choice (medical or dental) prior to the second year of the MBS curriculum.

You do have students who decide to complete the 2nd year of the MBS program because they didn't get into med or dent school after the 1st year of MBS. For curriculum questions, contact the program.

Another advantage to this program is that it's in a "quarter" instead of "semesters" system (10 weeks instead of 12 weeks) which equates that you'll get your grades/transcripts sooner for applications.

The program director, Dr. Bell is extremely nurturing and supportive. I was able to earn several excellent strong letter of recommendation from AZCOM basic science faculty members (another perk of effective Post-Bac programs).

Keep in mind, doing well in Post-Bac programs is good and all, but getting 20/20 on the DAT is extremely important also. You must have both. Beautiful weather, gorgeous campus, effective curriculum, and great faculties, I HIGHLY STRONGLY recommend this program!

I was a student to this amazing Post-Bac program. I loved it and it was very effective in getting into dental schools (if you do well in it). The program is very rigorious and challenging as you take the basic science courses with the medical students. It's a two-year program on paper, but 99% of the MBS student only complete one year of it because they usually get accepted to their professional school of choice (medical or dental) prior to the second year of the MBS curriculum.

You do have students who decide to complete the 2nd year of the MBS program because they didn't get into med or dent school after the 1st year of MBS. For curriculum questions, contact the program.

Another advantage to this program is that it's in a "quarter" instead of "semesters" system (10 weeks instead of 12 weeks) which equates that you'll get your grades/transcripts sooner for applications.

The program director, Dr. Bell is extremely nurturing and supportive. I was able to earn several excellent strong letter of recommendation from AZCOM basic science faculty members (another perk of effective Post-Bac programs).

Keep in mind, doing well in Post-Bac programs is good and all, but getting 20/20 on the DAT is extremely important also. You must have both. Beautiful weather, gorgeous campus, effective curriculum, and great faculties, I HIGHLY STRONGLY recommend this program!

Thank you, Yah-E. So did you apply to dental school before starting this post bacc program? My GPA is really low, so I feel like it will be moot point to apply to dental school this May. I was thinking about taking random classes after I finish this program, but I've read somewhere on SDN that dental schools do not like it if students are not in school prior to matriculation. Also, since I'm worried about my GPA, I'm not sure if taking classes with medical students would be a smart move. Any thoughts?

I dont know if you had heard this or not, but Midwestern is opening its own dental school in the next year or two. If you get into that program I would bet that you would be able to secure a slot in its first class. Good luck.

I dont know if you had heard this or not, but Midwestern is opening its own dental school in the next year or two. If you get into that program I would bet that you would be able to secure a slot in its first class. Good luck.

I read that in SDN, but I'm not sure if I'd "secure" a spot there. I think it'll still be really competitive given the increasing stats of applicants every year. Midwestern is a great choice, but I'm just afraid of the "rigorous" curriculum. I'm trying to raise my GPA, not obliterate it. Thanks for the feedback, though. I appreciate it.