Tai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Um.....is anyone that has already interviewed at CPG having trouble getting their pre-reqs approved? Im starting to get really frustrated.......what is the purpose of telling us DURING the interview that we may have to take certain pre-reqs over again because the new dean does not approve of the ones we have already fulfilled? Its so absurd to change pre-req requirements during the middle of the application process!!!

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
Tai said:
Um.....is anyone that has already interviewed at CPG having trouble getting their pre-reqs approved? Im starting to get really frustrated.......what is the purpose of telling us DURING the interview that we may have to take certain pre-reqs over again because the new dean does not approve of the ones we have already fulfilled? Its so absurd to change pre-req requirements during the middle of the application process!!!
Tai, I sent you a PM (prior to seeing this post, though...heh). Yikes! Hope that doesn't turn into a headache for you!

off2skl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2003
AZ
Visit site
Status
Tai said:

Tai,
Actually a few students in this year's class had problems with their prereq after they had MATRICULATED. One person left the class (though I'm not sure if that was the only reason), one other had to take a prereq concurrently with our curriculum, and at least one other was able to work out the issue due to good documentation. My personal belief is that the office of admissions should be the final say about whether a class is sufficient to satisfy the requirements, but our dean seems to like to be,um....involved :)

Can't offer anything in the way of suggestions though. Good luck.

starsweet

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
Tai said:
Why were they not approved? It is strange that they would tell you that during the interview. Did they basically tell you that you wouldn't be considered until you retook those prereqs?

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
i think it's very sketchy that they would tell you that you would have to retake certain classes. what classes are they not accepting?

also, another person said that someone had to take classes concurrently. i've never heard of a pharmacy school allowing someone to take prereqs concurrently. i thought these classes have to be taken before you begin no ands, ifs, or buts.

off2skl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2003
AZ
Visit site
Status
lazydazy said:
i think it's very sketchy that they would tell you that you would have to retake certain classes. what classes are they not accepting?

also, another person said that someone had to take classes concurrently. i've never heard of a pharmacy school allowing someone to take prereqs concurrently. i thought these classes have to be taken before you begin no ands, ifs, or buts.

That would usually be the case, but as I said, this was determined after the person had matriculated. I'm not sure of the specifics, but I believe this was the agreement reached by both parties (the person in question even consulted an attorney in the process).

The dean started going through files sometime during the beginning of the first quarter. The offer of concurrently taking the prerequisite was the Dean's way of appeasing the situation (students already enrolled, moved, etc). There was a thread a while back about it.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=150140

OP
T

Tai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Well, ive already been accepted but they are "evaluating" a class or two because the dean changed the requirements. How random and wierd? :confused: Grumble grumble....i am hoping to get this situation settled before I make any decisions. Just really frustrating you know? just wondering if anyone else is in this situation.

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
Tai said:
Well, ive already been accepted but they are "evaluating" a class or two because the dean changed the requirements. How random and wierd? :confused: Grumble grumble....i am hoping to get this situation settled before I make any decisions. Just really frustrating you know? just wondering if anyone else is in this situation.
tai, at least they told you about it in advance and not when you started the program. the thread off2skl linked above describes a horrid situation that some students endured at CPG. however, i'm sure that everything will work out in your favor. good luck!

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
It's normal for a school to look over your prerequisites to determine if they are acceptable. My school (UWa) let us know the status of our prerequisites prior to the interview. I would think that students would have a need to know this information prior to making an offer on an admissions decision.

That said, this is the dean's first year at the school, so the admissions processes and all that are in the process of being revised to suit. Next time around, there should be an opportunity to revise the process ahead of time.

OP
T

Tai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Oh I agree with you Bananaface and LazyDazy. I mean, Im glad they told me but it was pretty funny because almost everybody that was interviewing that day had some sort of pre-req snag. Now that is just ridiculous....dont you think?

Its just that most of us that are taking our pre-reqs now and those that have a full time job cannot necessarily change their school or work schedule to fit in another class(es) that are all of a sudden not acceptable to a certain intstitution. For example, Im taking 20 hours of classes right now and next quarter. If I had to take another class because they changed the requirements, how am I supposed to plan for that now (assuming I have already signed up for a full time job or load of classes over the summer)? I just dont think it is fair to the student.

Dont get me wrong.....CPG is an awesome school and I wouldnt be going through all this trouble asking pple on this forum if they have had this same experience if i didnt want to go there. I was just curious if this happens at other schools too. :)

Thanks for all the support!