Midwestern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

komradrobot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for Midwestern students, have you heard any rumors about the new dental school tuition being jacked up from 60grand/year to 78 grand/year for the incoming class? A friend of a friend, recent Midwestern grad, was talking about this.

just want to know if anyone else knows. also, those who are students there, do you like it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
the d-school doesn't exist yet, that's why i'm asking on here. i heard it from a fourth year d.o. student. its a pricey school, have they been hiking up tuition costs for you guys too.

Interesting, I just heard something along those lines just last week. Heard it from another OMS-1 though, so he may have just seen your first post and passed the rumor along. In any case, it makes my 49k look less terrifying.

Interesting, I just heard something along those lines just last week. Heard it from another OMS-1 though, so he may have just seen your first post and passed the rumor along. In any case, it makes my 49k look less terrifying.

med school tuition is $49k now?!

holy

Oh, yes. Many medical students will be borrowing $75-80,000 every year. A medical education is VERY expensive. It is absolutely not uncommon for residents to have $500,000 in debt from undergrad and med school.

Sucks, don't it?

Oh, yes. Many medical students will be borrowing $75-80,000 every year. A medical education is VERY expensive. It is absolutely not uncommon for residents to have $500,000 in debt from undergrad and med school.

Sucks, don't it?

$500,000 cannot be "common". If I end up with more than even $300,000 I will be absolutely terrified at the prospect of never digging myself out.

It is a fu**en rip off. They enslave you for life. Especially the fu**ers at Midwestern. They raise the tuition every year, no exceptions. Then when you graduate they have the pelotas (Spanish for balls) to send you letters asking for "donations".

I like to donate something allright, a big dump in a donation envelope. There you go cupcake, happy valentine's day, don't spend it all in one place.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything but I'll ask around. I really feel like that is some hardcore inside information so I highly doubt anyone would know that.

A previous poster is definitely right about MWU-CCOM tuition going up every year. This year it was raised by roughly 2K. However, I wouldn't expect such a high jump in tuition as 18K - that would be ridiculous.

On a somewhat related note: that new dental building is going up pretty quickly. It's bigger than any other building we currently have and there's been a lot of talk about how it will be divided among colleges.

There has to be a breaking point. At what tuition level will students just say screw it, it isn't worth it? Or are starry-eyed premeds going to continue to go to medical school when tuition hits 300,000/year? Utterly ridiculous how schools can continue to jack up tuition for no apparent reason.

Does anyone know if there is some accreditation standard that puts a cap on how much tuition can go up in a year to protect the students? If not, there really needs to be.

The board of trustees knows that if we make mega stink and try to boycott against this mysterious inflation in tuition during economic hardship, there will be others more desperate to become doctors to take our places. Its crazy when Dr. Hussain shared with me who was a grad of CCOM and paid only 15k per year in tuition 15 years ago. He told me that its criminal what the school does to us without any accountability. If reform is needed, we need to start it now...spread it to the campus and other DO schools which also seemed to have no cap in tuition.

Another reason why other schools are not as expensive is that they get research grants. Even if we get that said funding, it seems to get pocketed by the professors on campus to whatever research they allegedly conduct in Prabhu.

I also remembered personally talking to Dr. G after one of those town hall garbage and she's like we have to pay the inflation because of tenure of the professors. Like hell! If we were like a corporation, we'd dump those bloated contracts and get cheaper more motivated younger professors...yeesh I sound like a hospital trying to hire more NPs or CRNAs cuz their cheaper versions of doctors.

I don't understand why anyone with options would choose Midwestern. I got into DMU before my Midwestern interviews (both locations) and dropped those interviews immediately. It was about $42k a year for tuition then, and I can't imagine even paying that much. Nevermind $50k. Thats just stupid.

Oh, and to the knee-jerkers that will throw up the rotations arguement, they aren't worth that much.

On edit- if they keep up with the current trend, I can only imagine that the quality and performance of their accepted students will decrease.

This amount is for the dental school, NOT the medical school. I think that some people are getting confused. The tuition is ~48K right now for the medical school.

There has to be a breaking point. At what tuition level will students just say screw it, it isn't worth it? Or are starry-eyed premeds going to continue to go to medical school when tuition hits 300,000/year? Utterly ridiculous how schools can continue to jack up tuition for no apparent reason.

Does anyone know if there is some accreditation standard that puts a cap on how much tuition can go up in a year to protect the students? If not, there really needs to be.

It will stop when loans are no longer available for the obscene amounts schools try to get away with charging annually. The only thing that allows tuition costs to keep skyrocketing is the easy-breezy availability of student loan money.

I don't understand why anyone with options would choose Midwestern. I got into DMU before my Midwestern interviews (both locations) and dropped those interviews immediately. It was about $42k a year for tuition then, and I can't imagine even paying that much. Nevermind $50k. Thats just stupid.

Oh, and to the knee-jerkers that will throw up the rotations arguement, they aren't worth that much.

On edit- if they keep up with the current trend, I can only imagine that the quality and performance of their accepted students will decrease.

I agree that rotations are what you make of it. But I chose MWU because it was the only school in Chicago I got in where my wife works. I realize there is no such thing is a perfect school. Yes there are pros and cons to everything...maybe we focus more on the cons. Either way, I'm done in 6 months and don't have to worry about until I drop that alumni letter in the trash can.

The Era of Public Service Loan Forgiveness?