Midwestern MA in Biomed v. UMDNJ MS biomed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khentoog182

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! This is my first post ever!

Summary:
Applied to dental schools, didn't get in anywhere.
I have a low GPA, so applied to one year master's programs to help improve my GPA so I can reapply.
I live in CA.

I've read previous posts about this topic, but it didn't really help me...but which program would help me get into dental school more quickly..Midwestern University's Masters in Arts in Biomedical Sciences or UMDNJ's Masters in Science in Biomedical Sciences?

I know it depends on how I do in each program (of course), but are there higher chances on getting into that school's dental school right after?

Also, does anyone know what the interview questions are like for Midwestern's MA program? I've already been accepted into UMDNJs.

Thank you so much, any advice would be VERY appreciated! I'm so confused..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! This is my first post ever!

Summary:
Applied to dental schools, didn't get in anywhere.
I have a low GPA, so applied to one year master's programs to help improve my GPA so I can reapply.
I live in CA.

I've read previous posts about this topic, but it didn't really help me...but which program would help me get into dental school more quickly..Midwestern University's Masters in Arts in Biomedical Sciences or UMDNJ's Masters in Science in Biomedical Sciences?

I know it depends on how I do in each program (of course), but are there higher chances on getting into that school's dental school right after?

Also, does anyone know what the interview questions are like for Midwestern's MA program? I've already been accepted into UMDNJs.

Thank you so much, any advice would be VERY appreciated! I'm so confused..

Very hard to say. Both are good programs. Assuming that you have a competitive DAT as well...

UMDNJ: Gives you opportunity to take biochemistry and physiology with dental students, but dental class is smaller and not sure how many out of state students they take.

MWU: It will prepare you well by the diversity of core classes and electives you can take in the program, but dental school will not give you a serious look until you complete 2 quarters of the Masters program (unless you already have good stats from undergrad). Also, don't worry about the interview questions...it's simply a way for the faculty to know you better, nothing tricky.

I can't say anything for the Midwestern Program, but I am currently in the UMDNJ MBS program and I really like it here. The classes that I've been taking here have been really interesting and the professors are all pretty accessible and helpful. I have really turned my low gpa around while here. 3.15 ugrad to 4.0gpa here. I also got the opportunity to volunteer in a dental research lab, which I think will be helpful in my upcoming application. I can't say for sure how helpful the program is at getting people into DS since I haven't applied yet but all in all I'm very happy with my experience at UMDNJ.

Thanks!

Toothypasty - Do you know what the chances of getting into UMDNJ's dental school are after completing the MBS program with good grades? Also..how is the area around the Newark campus? I've heard some weird things about the city of Newark as a whole, but have never been there so I don't know what to make of it.