Midwestern - Masters in Biomed Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehbeck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I got accepted to the Masters in Biomed Sciences program at MWU in IL. I dont know too much information about it, so I was wounding if anyone could chip in. Im have been applying to programs to boost my credentials for med school apps (GPA 3.2, BCPM 2.9, MCAT 26M) and Im not sure this is a good program for me. This is the only post-bacc program I've gotten into. Ive been rejected by Georgetown's SMP and I'm still waiting to hear from Loyola and Drexel, but its starting to look doubtful by looking at other posts. Any comments would help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

is this a one year program?

nope, its more like 18 -21 months... definately a downside to the program

Members don't see this ad :)
www.midwestern.edu has complete info on the post-bacc programs (they offer 1 in IL and 1 in AZ). There is a one-year option in AZ, but I'm not sure about IL.

i was also accepted.. it looks really cool and i know the credits transfer if you do a pharmD or DO degree at the school.. and you can transfer after the first year...

but i want to do dentistry.. would it look bad to leave the program after 1 yr and getting good grades?

i also applied to RFUMS w/3.1 27m

i was also accepted.. it looks really cool and i know the credits transfer if you do a pharmD or DO degree at the school.. and you can transfer after the first year...

but i want to do dentistry.. would it look bad to leave the program after 1 yr and getting good grades?

did you heard anything from RFUMS yet? How competitive are they...

I believe Midwestern-ZA has a dental school now. They are starting this year or next year. Midwestern sounds like a good option to you.

did you heard anything from RFUMS yet? How competitive are they...

no, they haven't updated my file to 'complete.' they begin admitting in april, but i havent seen anyone post acceptances yet.. its more 35k vs 23k though

I believe Midwestern-ZA has a dental school now. They are starting this year or next year. Midwestern sounds like a good option to you.

Midwestern plans on opening the dental school this year, but that's only if they receive initial accreditation in May(?) I believe. Although I don't believe there is any linkage to the dental school (from the post-bacc) yet, like there is with the DO school.

can you apply to medical school during the first year of the program?

can you apply to medical school during the first year of the program?

Yes.. some people do and get into CCOM for the second year. A large majority finishes out the two years though.

I'm an alumnus from the Midwestern Univeristy MBS program in Glendale, AZ and I was a predental student at that time. Out of 15 or so students in the MBS program, I was the first and only predental student. I sucessfully earned many dental school admissions with this program.

Let me dispell many of your myths. Yes the program's curriculum is set for two years, but your goal is to get out of that program after one year because hopefully you've successfully gained an admission to the professional school of your choice (med or dent or whatever) after one year of "great grades" in the post-bac program. If you get just one C+ in any of the classes in this program's curriculum, then in my opinion, you've defeated your purpose to be in this program. Getting into this program and then doing well in it is a way to demonstrate your truly academic ability to dental or medical schools' admission committees that you're low undergraduate GPA is not the true you. If you then get a C+ in this program, then you have no business doing there wasting your money or time because your chances of "demonstrating" that you're academically sound had just took a dive.

The year I enrolled (2001 - 2002), I believe it was the program's second year in running. The program director and I remain close friends today as he was one of my main supporter/reason to my academic success today. He bent backwards to get me into that MBS program and wasn't for this program, I would not be where I am today. I had numbers (undergraduate GPA) that were well below what the MU MBS program had required.

This MU MBS program in AZ is extremely effective to get students into their professional schools of their choices because first, it utilizes the quarter (10 weeks) system instead of semesters (16 weeks). What does that mean? That means with the quarter system, you the student can submit grades to dent or med schools that you've applied to sooner as they become available. Because of this reason, I was able to submit two quarters worth of grades to schools that I've applied by the end of December. If you were in a semester system, then you would only have one semester worth of grades to submit by the end of December.

The basic science ourses you take at this Post-bac program is extremely rigorous and challenging, but with GREAT teachers. You take them with the Osteopathic medical (DO) students and let me just tell you, after having experienced MU basic science faculties and their teachings, it really made the Nova Southeastern University (NSU) basic science department look like rookies! Courses are tough at MU, but because with great teachers teaching in ways that you'll learn and understand, students tends to do well.

Also, if you're a premed and don't mind becoming a DO, then this program is definitely for you! If you do well in this MBS program (get all As in the basic science courses), then you're guaranteed an interview with AZCOM for the next incoming class and if you were to be accepted, then you don't even have to take those basic science courses again when you're actually a 1st year med student. With the new dental school starting at MU, I guarantee you that MU MBS program will feed into the MU dental school just like the MU med school do. Whether you're predent or premed (if you don't mind DO), you can't go wrong with this program! If you want allopathic, then this can be effective as well, but since MU is linked to a osteopathic school, more MU MBS students become DOs.

My time line at the time: goal was to apply to dental school and start in Fall 2002

May 2001: Accepted to both Midwestern University MBS programs (IL and AZ)
Aug 2001: Enrolled and started the MBS program in AZ
Nov 2001: Submitted my applications to dental schools for Fall 2002
Dec 2001: Submitted my first two quarters (Fall & Winter quarters) of Post-bac grades to dental schools that I've applied to
Jan 2002: Retook my DAT (2nd time around)
March 2002: Received my first dental school interview, and then my second, and then my third....
March 2002: Earned acceptances to multiple dental schools
March 2002: Dropped out of MU MBS program only after two quarters of Post-bac because I acheived what I went there to acheive (to get into a dental school). Once I earned acceptances to dental schools, there was no more reasons why I should continue to pay tuition at MU and borrow loans to finish up the year. Of course I verified with the dental schools that it was OK for me to discontinue my Post-bac, once they confirmed, I was out-of-there!
August 2002: Started my dental school journey

As you can see, things progressed as planned and it went really well for me. I'm not saying that this will happen to you if go to MU, but I can tell you this. If you get accepted to MU MBS program and then you do well in it (getting all As and Bs), your chances of getting into a med or dent school of your choice will greatly increase. Of course, you must do well on your MCAT or DAT retakes. Between my success at MU MBS courses and my second DAT, I believe those were the key players of how I got into dental schools.

Good luck to you all and I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Midwestern University's MBS program to anyone that wish to use an opportunity to demonstrate your true academic capabilities. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^^ great post!

Do you have an email, or can you possibly email me at [email protected]?

I am going Aug 19th and have some questions if you dont mind

Who else is enrolled in the MBS program for the upcoming Fall?

I noticed the other programs all have 'official' Facebook groups and the like, and it would be cool to meet each other and study together as well.

Either post here, add me on Facebook (search Kunal Gogna UCLA) or email me at [email protected]

I just got my acceptance to the progrma too..problem is im taking MCATS in september here in new jersey..how would i tackle this...

Reschedule them to a testing site in AZ :)

all filled lol its liek EVERY mcat spot is filled in EVERY state i guess im just gonna have to fly back home lol

also..to YAH-E..or anyone..if u had to compare and contrast the LECOM postbacc with midwesternn..for premed..which would u consider (a big diff right off the back is at lecom its all grad courses no DO courses..and at lecom a 3.0 gpa and a 21+ mcat score gets u an interview while at azcom im guessing grades are the most important factor) however my goal is to either go to midwestern or preferably some MD school near NJ..UMDNJ, drexel, etc.. any input would be great thanks!

also..to YAH-E..or anyone..if u had to compare and contrast the LECOM postbacc with midwesternn..for premed..which would u consider (a big diff right off the back is at lecom its all grad courses no DO courses..and at lecom a 3.0 gpa and a 21+ mcat score gets u an interview while at azcom im guessing grades are the most important factor) however my goal is to either go to midwestern or preferably some MD school near NJ..UMDNJ, drexel, etc.. any input would be great thanks!

If you want a post-bac program that is "effective", meaning when medical school admissions committe look at your application and say, "hmm, this applicant did really well in a very rigorous basic science curriculum!", then Midwestern University's Masters of Biomedical Sciences program is for you!

Sounds like LECOM's program is not as sound as the one offered at MU because you don't take the same basic science courses with the medical students! Think about it, at MU MBS program, you're sitting in the same classrooms as the DO students, taking the same exams! If you did well in those course, then it shows that you can heck "a medical school curriculum"! If you chose LECOM and did well in their post-bac curriculum, it's great, but they're not medical school courses! What can be more "effective" in demonstrating to medical schools that you can hang than actually doing well (As & Bs) IN A MEDICAL SCHOOL CURRICULUM!??

Not going to lie, today, post-bac program are getting more and more competitive, especially the ones that are "effective" (that get their students into a med/dent school of their choices). MU MBS program is competitive so I can't really help you there. But if you got into both LECOM and MU MBS post-bac programs, I would go to MU MBS for sure.

As far as you want an allopathic school after your post-bac, then that depends on your entire application. See this thread. Good luck.

yah-e,
who did you get in contact with when applying to this program? I am beginning the application process for post baccs and your story really inspired me.... so if you get a chance to read this, i would appreciate any info, by pm or posted here... thanks

Is Yah-E still around? I have questions and he seems to have PM disabled.

Edit: Nevermind this post, I should have read more carefully.

Yah-E,

I am currently applying to MWU-AZ's Master's in Biomedical Sciences. I've got a low MCAT score, decent GPA (3.5). From what I hear, MWU offers and MCAT prep course to these SMP students, and many of the students have scores in the teens on the MCAT.

I turned my application in last week. Am I behind for the Fall 08 start date?

Thanks,

Kyle

Hey Yah-E (or anyone),

Can you tell me whether MWU dental school accepts a lot of people out of the Biomed program? Is there any sort of linkage?

Hey Yah-E (or anyone),

Can you tell me whether MWU dental school accepts a lot of people out of the Biomed program? Is there any sort of linkage?

I'm currently at the SMP program studying for finals....

The dental school is going to be opened this year.... and everyone is saying that there is a guarenteed interview if you maintain a 3.0 and a certain MCAT score.

I'm currently at the SMP program studying for finals....

The dental school is going to be opened this year.... and everyone is saying that there is a guarenteed interview if you maintain a 3.0 and a certain MCAT score.

I guess it's an "unofficial" linkage then? Because the site makes no mention of this.

SBK,

Is applying now too late for the Fall 08?

SBK,

Is applying now too late for the Fall 08?

No, you're fine. I applied during Dec/Jan and was accepted a couple weeks later. The earlier the better, as always.

I've been waiting for the last couple of days for someone to answer the above posting, but I think it's time that someone says something - lol.

IMO, this question deserves a "sitting on the fence post" answer. I would argue that, "no, med schools don't look down on it." I say this (correct me if I'm wrong) because SMP's serve as a stepping stone to another professional program for most people. This is the "do-or-die" situation that many of us feel the need to put ourselves in to prove that we can handle the coursework/material in medical school. So, medical schools will most likely understand this concept. Other medical schools, however, may want to see people finish out the program.

Good luck to you all and I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Midwestern University's MBS program to anyone that wish to use an opportunity to demonstrate your true academic capabilities. :thumbup:

I am new at this but I just traced this post from the sub 3.0 gpa thread you created. I am definitely in this category and am highly impressed with your recommendation for Midwestern MBS program. I lam interested in dentistry and I live in Chicago and am going to apply for this program based on your recommendation. I wanted to know what you put in your personal statement. I did not know whether to put that I was interested in dentistry and that the program would be a necessary stepping stone for me.

I also wanted to know if the program was difficult, competive, if the professors are very supportive and if I apply to Midwestern's dental program if the courses I take in the MBS program can be transferred to the dental program.
Please help. Thanks.:)

Hey all,
I got accepted to the Masters in Biomed Sciences program at MWU in IL. I dont know too much information about it, so I was wounding if anyone could chip in. Im have been applying to programs to boost my credentials for med school apps (GPA 3.2, BCPM 2.9, MCAT 26M) and Im not sure this is a good program for me. This is the only post-bacc program I've gotten into. Ive been rejected by Georgetown's SMP and I'm still waiting to hear from Loyola and Drexel, but its starting to look doubtful by looking at other posts. Any comments would help! :)

Congrats!!! Was it difficult to get into the program? What were some of the things that you put in your personal statement?