Midwestern MS BMS vs. UCL MSc Precision Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scienceisthefuture

Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I am debating on pursuing a Masters in my gap year before medical school (prefer MD > DO). I graduated with an avg GPA of 3.6 and am retaking the MCAT in two weeks. This cycle (start fall of 2018) I applied to only DO schools for that reason. I have research, publications, extracurriculars, etc. The only reason I did not submit my application to MD schools was bc of my < 50% MCAT score.

Debating between two Masters programs: Midwestern University MS Biomedical Sciences and UniversityCollegeLondon (UCL) MSc Precision Medicine.

Benefits of MWU:
-Guaranteed interview for DO seat if a 3.0 GPA is maintained
-Not too far from home
-The curriculum directly appreciates medical school knowledge (anatomy, physiology, microbiology)

Benefits of UCL:
-Same COA as MWU (31k tuition + living expenses in London)
-Unique opportunity to explore precision medicine in a fine University (ranked top 20 in the world)
-Once in a lifetime opportunity to study abroad and rub shoulders with incredibly smart people

From UCL website "You will develop advanced knowledge in all aspects of precision medicine including genomics, bioinformatics, structural biology, genetics and epigenetics of disease and their precision diagnosis and treatment, biomedical imaging techniques, nanomedicines; generation and analysis of big data. You will gain awareness of the context in which precision medicine is being applied in healthcare, research and industry. You will also develop a range of intellectual, practical and transferable skills essential for a career in this field."

I guess the downfall of going to London would be fighting jetlag and the inconvenience of flying back to the US for interviews. And also would probably reapply in fall of 2019 (to matriculate in fall 2020) for MD schools as a stronger applicant. Just not sure how credible/ valuable/ unique/ prestige this program would be seen in the admissions POV. Also, I feel that if I pursue the MS at midwestern I will more than likely just go ahead an pursue a DO degree. I'm just confused and not sure if the 'experience' is worth the sacrifice of another gap year to potentially gain admission to an MD school. (Feel like there might be some component of unsaid implicit prejudice towards international programs)

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

UCL is cool, not going to help you overcome that mcat and 3.6. Depending on your state of residence MD is an uphill battle, and UCL doesnt add a whole lot to that equation for the cost. You have already applied to DO school , should be able to secure a DO seat this time around if you apply broadly.

While the degree looks cool, being an international degree, medical schools have no practical way of assessing the program's difficulty, and by extension, your academic performance in it.

On another note, if the rest of your app is sound, and you can get your MCAT up, I don't see why you wouldn't get interviews from Rosalind Franklin, Rush, Loyola and a few other MD schools in other parts of the country without the SMP. You probably wouldn't need the SMP for DO programs if you can get the MCAT up to DO averages.