Midwestern University - Arizona c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine in a Storm

c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OOS applicant. 3rd year applying. 1st time to Midwestern.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone applying this cycle! I was recently accepted for the class of 2023. If anyone has questions about the application/interview reach out or let me know!

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to say good luck to everyone applying this cycle! I was recently accepted for the class of 2023. If anyone has questions about the application/interview reach out or let me know!
What is the interview process like?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the interview process like?
So they offer interviews up until March and do it on a rolling basis. When i was offered a interview (on thanksgiving) i got to pick between 3 dates. (all were wednesday). You have to be there pretty early in the morning at about 7:30am. You have a chance to mingle with other interviewees and current students. Then you start with a Q and A panel. After that half the group will start interviews and the other half will go on a quick academic tour and then you will switch. There isn't a lot of waiting around as everyone does their interviews before lunch. Something i found helpful is at the beginning they give you a folder with a lot of useful information including backgrounds on the people who will be interviewing you. After interviews are done you go to lunch which is provided by the school. After lunch the dean gives you quick presentation and a tour of the clinics and you end the day with a short financial presentation. I think my day ended at about 2:30. We were given the option to leave at lunch if we needed to catch a flight, etc.

Overall, the interview was very relaxed and welcoming. I was interviewed by 2 veterinarians (shelter vet and anesthesiologist). It lasted about 15 minutes and they just asked a series of questions. The questions were not hard and they really just want to get to know you. They don't ask any tricky or challenging questions. I felt very good when i came out of my interview. The people interviewing you have not seen your academics at all they have only seen your essay responses. I am not sure if this will be the case for this cycle but it was for the past ones. After my interview, i found out about 1.5 weeks later that i had been accepted. It really depends on when the committee meets.

Reactions: 4 users
So they offer interviews up until March and do it on a rolling basis. When i was offered a interview (on thanksgiving) i got to pick between 3 dates. (all were wednesday). You have to be there pretty early in the morning at about 7:30am. You have a chance to mingle with other interviewees and current students. Then you start with a Q and A panel. After that half the group will start interviews and the other half will go on a quick academic tour and then you will switch. There isn't a lot of waiting around as everyone does their interviews before lunch. Something i found helpful is at the beginning they give you a folder with a lot of useful information including backgrounds on the people who will be interviewing you. After interviews are done you go to lunch which is provided by the school. After lunch the dean gives you quick presentation and a tour of the clinics and you end the day with a short financial presentation. I think my day ended at about 2:30. We were given the option to leave at lunch if we needed to catch a flight, etc.

Overall, the interview was very relaxed and welcoming. I was interviewed by 2 veterinarians (shelter vet and anesthesiologist). It lasted about 15 minutes and they just asked a series of questions. The questions were not hard and they really just want to get to know you. They don't ask any tricky or challenging questions. I felt very good when i came out of my interview. The people interviewing you have not seen your academics at all they have only seen your essay responses. I am not sure if this will be the case for this cycle but it was for the past ones. After my interview, i found out about 1.5 weeks later that i had been accepted. It really depends on when the committee meets.
This is pretty indicative of what the Midwestern interview was like. I had 2 interviewers as well, one was a LA vet and the other I think was a pathologist, I don't remember honestly. I had a choice of 4 interview dates rather than 3 though. Also, I interviewed early January and didn't hear back until early February, so it does depend on when the committee meets.

They also do rolling admissions so they don't wait until everyone is interviewed to tell you if you're accepted or not.

Reactions: 2 users
First time applicant applying! Its nice to have rolling admissions, and the interview process sounds really relaxed.

Reactions: 1 user
Second year applicant - first year applying to Midwestern.

Can anyone clarify for me EXACTLY how Midwestern calculates Science GPA. Anyone who applied, did not get in but did a post app file review? It is so frustrating because many schools DO NOT specifically say how they calculate. Each school needs to specifically list the criteria they use for Academic Review.

Iowa State - specifically puts an ** by the science courses they use to calculate their "Required Science GPA." For example you may have taken O Chem 1 & 2 with Labs, but they only use O Chem 1 with Lab. You may have taken a lab with your genetics class but they are only going to use your genetics lecture grade. Anything I took above and beyond I listed under electives.

Michigan State - sure you only need a 2.0 in prerequisites to apply, but specifically lists that you need a 3.0 in their listed Science Prerequisites to receive a file review along with a 3.0 overall. Theirs includes a math and only Gen Chem 1 with lab with the other standard science courses .

Some say science GPA - like Ohio State - which uses the VMCAS total science GPA. This helps those of us who majored in Animal Science/Pre-Veterinary Medicine because we had the opportunity to take classes like Small Animal Medicine, Food Animal Medicine, Animal Nutrition, Animal Reproduction, Horse, Sheep, Dairy and Production and Labs etc. because the overall VMCAS science GPA includes all animal science classes.

For Midwestern I have seen minimum 2.75 and 2.8 for Science GPA (VMCAS SCIENCE GPA?) I have also seen those minimums listed as required science GPA. So if it is a specific schools required science GPA - do they only use those specific classes or do they calculate

GPA calculations can be all over the place depending on how each school calculates. I am not fortunate to have a 4.0 across the board, and specifically my science GPA can have a big range depending on what they choose to calculate. I am not going to waste money applying to schools if I am border line for a file review depending on what science classes they are cherry picking out of my transcripts.

I did send a "request info" message to admissions for clarification.

Honestly, for each school we have to use our transcripts to input prerequisites, would it be that hard to have a calculator tab tied to each school that spits out how that school calculates your CUM GPA, SCIENCE GPA, Last 30 or 45 hours? I guess that would take away all the extra dollars VMCAS and individual schools get from confused applicants or surprised applicants after they have gone through a file review and see what their calcs were.

This is part of the APPLY SMARTER theory - something I think we all understand the second time around. Any clarification is appreciated.

Can anyone clarify for me EXACTLY how Midwestern calculates Science GPA. Anyone who applied, did not get in but did a post app file review? It is so frustrating because many schools DO NOT specifically say how they calculate. Each school needs to specifically list the criteria they use for Academic Review.

Iowa State - specifically puts an ** by the science courses they use to calculate their "Required Science GPA." For example you may have taken O Chem 1 & 2 with Labs, but they only use O Chem 1 with Lab. You may have taken a lab with your genetics class but they are only going to use your genetics lecture grade. Anything I took above and beyond I listed under electives.

Michigan State - sure you only need a 2.0 in prerequisites to apply, but specifically lists that you need a 3.0 in their listed Science Prerequisites to receive a file review along with a 3.0 overall. Theirs includes a math and only Gen Chem 1 with lab with the other standard science courses .

Some say science GPA - like Ohio State - which uses the VMCAS total science GPA. This helps those of us who majored in Animal Science/Pre-Veterinary Medicine because we had the opportunity to take classes like Small Animal Medicine, Food Animal Medicine, Animal Nutrition, Animal Reproduction, Horse, Sheep, Dairy and Production and Labs etc. because the overall VMCAS science GPA includes all animal science classes.

For Midwestern I have seen minimum 2.75 and 2.8 for Science GPA (VMCAS SCIENCE GPA?) I have also seen those minimums listed as required science GPA. So if it is a specific schools required science GPA - do they only use those specific classes or do they calculate

GPA calculations can be all over the place depending on how each school calculates. I am not fortunate to have a 4.0 across the board, and specifically my science GPA can have a big range depending on what they choose to calculate. I am not going to waste money applying to schools if I am border line for a file review depending on what science classes they are cherry picking out of my transcripts.

Honestly, for each school we have to use our transcripts to input prerequisites, would it be that hard to have a calculator tab tied to each school that spits out how that school calculates your CUM GPA, SCIENCE GPA, Last 30 or 45 hours? I guess that would take away all the extra dollars VMCAS and individual schools get from confused applicants or surprised applicants after they have gone through a file review and see what their calcs were.

This is part of the APPLY SMARTER theory - something I think we all understand the second time around. Any clarification is appreciated.
Call or email the admissions office directly for each school you are looking at and ask. They will tell you. Don’t just click a “ request more info” button because those are usually just to get a brochure to sell you on their school, not admissions criteria.

• Haha

I emailed them about this last cycle and was told that they just directly use the VMCAS calculated gpas for everything. Of course things can change from cycle to cycle so I would definitely reach out to them and see!

Hi! First time applicant and was wondering if anyone had any insight about the earliest they send out interview invites, I know they are rolling admissions but when do they actually start looking them over?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! First time applicant and was wondering if anyone had any insight about the earliest they send out interview invites, I know they are rolling admissions but when do they actually start looking them over?
My friend got a interview invite in early September last year. That is the earliest i have heard of but there could have been some earlier!

My friend got a interview invite in early September last year. That is the earliest i have heard of but there could have been some earlier!
Ugh I’m so anxious to just receive a reply! I turned in July 25th and ever since then I find myself checking the midwestern website like daily haha

I received mine early September... from what I saw on SDN during my cycle we all got them around the same time for the first few batches and then it rolled out from there. My first interview date was Oct 11th, but an opening became available and I ended up interviewing late September.

I received mine early September... from what I saw on SDN during my cycle we all got them around the same time for the first few batches and then it rolled out from there. My first interview date was Oct 11th, but an opening became available and I ended up interviewing late September.
Seems like I still have a ways to go hahaha but thank you for the information! I’ve had my eyes on midwestern for a while now.

Ugh I’m so anxious to just receive a reply! I turned in July 25th and ever since then I find myself checking the midwestern website like daily haha

I submitted July 15th and am waiting as well!

Does Midwestern require the GRE and also is there a supplemental application. On their website it shows previous years GRE scores but doesn't say if they require it.

This past cycle they did not require the GRE and there was no supplemental application.

Do you have to send your transcripts directly to the school along with through the VMCAS application? I've been trying to find the info on their site with no luck.

Is there any supplemental application or fee outside of VMCAS? All I see is their program page and pre-requisites on VMCAS, want to make sure there isn't a a supplemental application/form I have to fill out or a website I have to goto to pay a fee.

Is there any supplemental application or fee outside of VMCAS? All I see is their program page and pre-requisites on VMCAS, want to make sure there isn't a a supplemental application/form I have to fill out or a website I have to goto to pay a fee.

No there isn’t! I applied as well. Everything they need is on VMCAS. The only thing I got in my email from them after my application was verified was a link to create an account on their website portal which was super easy.

1st time applicant! I submitted end of August! Has anyone heard anything yet? I know a few people have gotten waitlisted for interviews already but I wasn't sure about interview invites.

1st time applicant! I submitted end of August! Has anyone heard anything yet? I know a few people have gotten waitlisted for interviews already but I wasn't sure about interview invites.
People already got waitlisted for interviews? I called the university sometime last week and they told me they’re going to start sending invites in the next few weeks. Hoping for one too!

People already got waitlisted for interviews? I called the university sometime last week and they told me they’re going to start sending invites in the next few weeks. Hoping for one too!
Yeah someone in the APVMA facebook group said they had been waitlisted for an interview, they submitted in July. Maybe they let the waitlist know first? IDK But yeah I hope I hear soon, if not just to take some of the initial stress off.

I can confirm I submitted mid-July (before the person on the Facebook group) and still have not heard news yet

I submitted on July 25th and have yet to hear anything. I was waitlisted last year within a week of submitting and that was also at the end of July.

Hey All,

Don't see an answer in this thread for this so:
1) I see that Midwestern does not require the GRE, but if you have taken it with great scores, should you submit it?
2) If so.. is there even a code to submit for it?
3) If so.. Is there a point to send it? Or will they just disregard it?

Thanks for ya'lls advice :)

Hey All,

Don't see an answer in this thread for this so:
1) I see that Midwestern does not require the GRE, but if you have taken it with great scores, should you submit it?
2) If so.. is there even a code to submit for it?
3) If so.. Is there a point to send it? Or will they just disregard it?

Thanks for ya'lls advice :)
If the school doesn’t require it they don’t require it. Don’t bother wasting your money and sending it.

I can confirm and say I have an interview already and am beyond nervous! It’s actually tomorrow which I believe are the first batch of interviews.

I can confirm and say I have an interview already and am beyond nervous! It’s actually tomorrow which I believe are the first batch of interviews.
When did you submit your app?

For the people who got interviews! Did you receive an email or did you just keep checking on the web link that we had to sign up for?

My application was verified earlier today, should I expect an email with the portal login information sometime soon?

Is there any idea when the next wave of interviews should be sent out?

For the people who got interviews! Did you receive an email or did you just keep checking on the web link that we had to sign up for?
i had received a email saying i had been selected for a interview and to log into the portal!

i had received a email saying i had been selected for a interview and to log into the portal!

Okay thank you! When did you submit your application? if you don’t mind me asking.

I had not heard anything since I submitted July 25th. I emailed admissions yesterday and it turned out there was a glitch when downloading my application. They were able to get my app and now the waiting starts again. If people have not heard anything, I suggest emailing them.

Does anyone know if having a 2.79 science GPA on VMCAS automatically disqualify you as a candidate?

Automatically rejected since VMCAS calculated my overall GPA much lower than what my transcripts are due to having a few classes repeated. Good luck everyone!

Automatically rejected since VMCAS calculated my overall GPA much lower than what my transcripts are due to having a few classes repeated. Good luck everyone!

I feel like this is so unfair! VMCAS calculated GPAs always suck. In my opinion, as long as you improve when retaking a class that shows something positive and should be taken into consideration. I also repeated some classes so I understand your frustration. I’m still waiting to hear back from them.

I feel like this is so unfair! VMCAS calculated GPAs always suck. In my opinion, as long as you improve when retaking a class that shows something positive and should be taken into consideration. I also repeated some classes so I understand your frustration. I’m still waiting to hear back from them.
It sucks because when you have so many credits, your cumulative GPA barely moves. According to my calculations and the calculations on my transcripts, I was above their minimum, but they factored in courses being repeated which I didn't think were going to be factored in since my schools didn't. Anyways, it sucks because my science GPA (with repeats) was like a 3.4, which I was proud of it being so high with averaging. I thought they were going to do their own GPA calculations and what not like most other schools, but I guess not. I spent the last 10 months repeating and taking 61 credits to boost my last 45 and science GPA, so now I'm concerned this is going to hold me back from other schools. I did email them asking them if they do their own calculations and they said they did, so I'm TRYING not to panic but I am. I agree though, I showed HUGE improvement and I hate that my first few years of undergrad is what held me back for Midwestern. It's not a good feeling when you feel like you've worked so hard and long to improve your grades and show that you're capable of rectifying past grades doesn't really seem to matter. Hopefully you hear something soon, I wish you the best of luck!!

It sucks because when you have so many credits, your cumulative GPA barely moves. According to my calculations and the calculations on my transcripts, I was above their minimum, but they factored in courses being repeated which I didn't think were going to be factored in since my schools didn't. Anyways, it sucks because my science GPA (with repeats) was like a 3.4, which I was proud of it being so high with averaging. I thought they were going to do their own GPA calculations and what not like most other schools, but I guess not. I spent the last 10 months repeating and taking 61 credits to boost my last 45 and science GPA, so now I'm concerned this is going to hold me back from other schools. I did email them asking them if they do their own calculations and they said they did, so I'm TRYING not to panic but I am. I agree though, I showed HUGE improvement and I hate that my first few years of undergrad is what held me back for Midwestern. It's not a good feeling when you feel like you've worked so hard and long to improve your grades and show that you're capable of rectifying past grades doesn't really seem to matter. Hopefully you hear something soon, I wish you the best of luck!!

I totally understand where you’re coming from! I’m in a similar situation. My sophomore year of college I didn’t perform at my best but my junior and senior year I really turned it around. I only had to retake 4 classes my entire 4 years (hi organic chemistry!) but they’re coming back to haunt me now. I’m so thankful for schools that do grade forgiveness though because I seriously had a breakdown when I saw my VMCAS GPA. At the end of the day, we’re more than just a number. It can be really discouraging sometimes when you think about it, but I truly believe that everyone will end up at a school that believes in them and where they are ultimately meant to be . Good luck with the other schools you applied to, you got this!!

I totally understand where you’re coming from! I’m in a similar situation. My sophomore year of college I didn’t perform at my best but my junior and senior year I really turned it around. I only had to retake 4 classes my entire 4 years (hi organic chemistry!) but they’re coming back to haunt me now. I’m so thankful for schools that do grade forgiveness though because I seriously had a breakdown when I saw my VMCAS GPA. At the end of the day, we’re more than just a number. It can be really discouraging sometimes when you think about it, but I truly believe that everyone will end up at a school that believes in them and where they are ultimately meant to be . Good luck with the other schools you applied to, you got this!!
Your kind words really mean a lot to me. I think it's hard to feel lost in a sea of other applicants sometimes, especially when your numbers don't accurately reflect who you are (especially recently) now, but who you used to be as student, but that's solely what you're getting judged on. I have high hopes for the both of us for this cycle, fingers crossed!