1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Midwestern University CCP Mandatory Candidate

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by pharmchick34, Dec 8, 2005.

1. pharmchick34

pharmchick34 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I am going to a mandatory candidate visit at Midwestern University on Monday December 12th? Did anyone attend an earlier mandatory candidate visit and can anyone tell me if they interview you? Also, how was it? I am preparing for an interview just in case. The paper said it wasn't an interview but the booklet with the CD said to know your stuff?

How was the writing exam that they give you?

Thank you for your time and help. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chichan

chichan Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey! That's really good news. I just read some other threads regarding the Midwestern interview. Is it the one in Chicago or Arizona?
    Do you mind me asking when you sent your application?
    Thanks and good luck!

4. SuperTech

SuperTech Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

There's no one-on-one interview, so you can relax... It's just basically a mini-orientation. They had a bunch of presentations about financial and such. There will be a writing exercise - which I thought was pretty simple - it wasn't that hard. They have a q&a portion, where you pretty much ask them about the schools or any concerns you may have... From 0-10 on stress level - I would rank it a 3... No sweat...

5. pharmchick34

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi Chican! I sent my application on the beginning of September.

6. pharmchick34

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks Supertech! Are you a first year student at MW CCP?

7. chichan

chichan Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey Pharmchick! how did it go in the visit? I have mine on Jan 9th! Kinda nervous...

8. freshbeatschris

freshbeatschris New Phuture
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Do you mind if I ask you when you sent in your supplemental? I just finished everything last week and was trying to get an idea of how long it will take before I am invited for the campus visit.

Thanks
    Chris

9. dreaminpharmd

dreaminpharmd THBPPTH!
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I just received my mandatory campus visit for MW-Chicago. I sent my supplemental about three weeks ago. They cashed my check on 12/9.... I must decide between 1/9 and 1/23. This is very last minute and can't attend the 1/23 interview for sure. I guess the school is rather quick, or must invite tons of people every two weeks for the mandatory campus. I wonder how many people are invited to these visits?

10. sarahjth

sarahjth PharmD Wannabe!
    5+ Year Member

Yeah, I'm curious too.. :rolleyes:

11. chichan

chichan Member
    5+ Year Member

I sent my supplemental in mid-october but they didnt have my PCAT scores. So I guess they sent me the interview when they got my scores.

12. freshbeatschris

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Did they contact you via email?

13. pharmchick34

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Sorry for taking so long to respond. They sent me a packet via mail with all the trip details. The MCV was exactly how supertech mentioned. In my visit, there were about 30 people, and they split us up into three groups. I'm still waiting for them to reply. I hope its good news!

14. freshbeatschris

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks for the input. Good luck with hearing from them. I wish you the best.

15. oxylapka

oxylapka Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I had MCV at Midwestern (Chicago) in October. There were only 14-15 people on the first MCV. They called me in November (in about 3 weeks after MCV).
    Actually that is my second year applying to Midwestern. Last year I sent my supplemental application only in February, 2005. I believe by March ALL the seats had been already taken.
    That's why I was probably one of the first ones who apply to Midwestern for Fall 2006.
    Good Luck to Everybody!!! MCV is not stressful. You will have to write a short essay within 30 minutes, that will be probably the most stressful part of the whole visit:) If you'll get an interview before February you have more chances to get in. After February less seats will be left and they will become pickier:)

Happy New Year!!!

16. futurepharm.d.?

futurepharm.d.? Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    you already got in Midwestern? wow, congras :) (you completed your application very very soon then) ....I'm going for MCV on Jan 11, and kind of worry about types of essays that they ask...Are those essay tough or okay to answer??? Thanks...

17. oxylapka

oxylapka Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks. Yes, all my ParmCAS and supplemental appliccations were completed by September 1.
    Don't worry, the essay questions are very easy. What would you do in this situation or is it acceptable to do this and that, just to see what kind of person you are.
    I hope I'll see you in class:)
    Oxy

18. pharmchick34

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Congratulation for your acceptance. I just received a letter saying that I am placed on their alternate list. Have you heard of people being accepted on the alternate list? I am so bummed! :( In the meeting, they said only if spaces open up.. but i highly doubt spaces would open up if they fill up so fast.

19. oxylapka

oxylapka Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Oh, beleive me, the spaces will open up. When UIC will start sendind their acceptance letters, many people will leave for UIC, because it is cheaper. Many state schools interview students only in Spring, they don't use rolling admission policy.
    You have access to Midwestern web-site, right? You can place your question and read some comments about alternative list.
    Don't be upset yet!!! You have a chance to get in. Seriously, you must be in the very beginning of the alternative list, so they will call you.

Good Luck!!!

20. freshbeatschris

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I am so out of breath right now from jumping around.
    I'm going to the January 23rd visit, so I will see some of you there!
    I'll be the one with the smile that goes from ear to ear!

Chris

21. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Congrats!! :)

22. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Congrats on your acceptance. Don't forget to post it in the Roll Call thread. :)

23. futurepharm.d.?

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    congrats!! too bad that i'm going there on Jan 9..so I can't see you "the one with the smile that goes from ear to ear" :laugh:

24. futurepharm.d.?

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey, Pharmchick34, don't worry sooo much, just keep up yr hope (yeah, i understand how you felt, I was on alternate list last year.....)...But since you went for MCV early, you number is small (on alternate list)...And NOT all schools are calling people based on rolling basic..Some schoools go by deadlines....I'm going for MCV on Jan 9, very excited and nervous (about the outcome).. :luck:

25. iluvflashy

iluvflashy Want 2 B A PharmD student
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi Future.Pharm.D.!! Thanks for your input. I got placed on the alternate list as well and I am also as sad as PharmChick is. When you applied last year, did you know anyone that got accepted on the alternate list?

Good luck on your MCV CCP. I know they will give you more points this year because you are a reapplicant. The dean told us at the MCV that they look highly on students that have commitment to the program.

Best of luck to you!

26. freshbeatschris

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks. I just checked out the campus yesterday and it is tiny. You can cross the whole thing in 5 minutes flat. They do have a really nice forest preserve that backs up against the property. My b/f and I walked the entire grounds. It was a pretty nice weekend (for Chicago). The sun actually shined! Maybe that means my future looks bright. :)

Chris

27. chichan

chichan Member
    5+ Year Member

I had my visit on Jan 9 and it went pretty smooth. It's not stressful at all. It is like a mini-orientation like somebody said early but I still wonder how they evaluate the candidates if it's not an interview (other than the writing part). Oh well, I did the best I could and I hope to hear good news soon. They said by the end of Jan they will let us know about their decision. Good luck everyone!

28. futurepharm.d.?

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I also went for MCV on Jan...It went all right...I really like the school, it's new and comfortable...I wrote one essay, but turned out my answer wasn't agreeable when I told my parents and friends about the question that i was asked...They thought I should have answered it differently..Yeah, I don't know..Everything is done now, and they will let me know by the end of this month...Now, I'm nervous!!!!!! :scared:

29. calrx

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What was the essay question they asked? I'm sure you did fine. Grammar, sentence structure, and cohesiveness are probably what they interested in more so than content anyway.

30. dreaminpharmd

dreaminpharmd THBPPTH!
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    OMG....those who went to the January 9th interview....it looks like they are rather quick in reviewing your application. Just received an e-mail of an acceptance. Woohoo. I thought it was a long shot for me.

31. highlyfavored

highlyfavored obligated to serve God...
    5+ Year Member

Congrats!!! :clap: Do you mind sharing your stats??

32. dreaminpharmd

dreaminpharmd THBPPTH!
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks! I've been pinching myself all day. Well, my stats aren't the greatest....

Pharmcas GPA: 3.08 (hopefully improve after my Fall 2005 courses)
    PCAT: 85
    BS in Genetics
    Four years research experience

33. cherryturnover

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Congrats for the ones got accepted. Reading all the messages here really got me even more nervous about the MCV that I will be going to on Feb 13th. I am worry that I probably will be put on the alternate list. :eek: or not even accepted at all!

nervous, nervous!

34. dreaminpharmd

dreaminpharmd THBPPTH!
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was nervous going to the MCV because it was the first school I was "checking" out, but without an interview. Everyone was friendly, but I can sense that people were nervous. The sample writing wasn't too hard. Just explain your ideas clearly. Other than that, the visit was not stressful at all...just an interactive group (where you're not evaluated) and a couple presentations.

After the visit, I thought I wouldn't be accepted or be put on the alternate list too, but I was given a surprise three days after my visit. What also helped me was to meet and talk to other candidates, especially since I was coming from out of state. Don't stress out too much, just remember to tackle your writing sample. Good luck! ;)

35. Stephie

Stephie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was invited for a candidate visit also in feb., but now am having second thoughts because I didn't realize that tuition there is over $37,000 a year! I keep hoping that I'm reading it wrong...

Good Luck everyone!

36. nerdystar

nerdystar Pharmacy Fashionista
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

You were looking at the Medical School tuition. CCP's tuition is about $23,000/yr.

37. futurepharm.d.?

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

wow..congrat!!!!! :) you got in after 3 days, right??? A friend of mine who also went on Jan 9 called me yesterday (Jan12) and said that she got in!!!!!! I was like "what??? toooo soooonnnnn"...But now i see that she's not the only that got acceptance news!! Which makes me even more nervous b/c I went same day... However, she made a big jump on her Pcat though, within 80 range..Mine is lower than her......Ah, i'm keeping my finger crossed!! so nervous nervous... :scared:

38. futurepharm.d.?

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Midwestern is a very nice, pretty school...very clean too...and new...I think you should go for MCV... :)

the tuition alone is around 20,000...My friend who commutes there borrow about $20,000/year...So it's NOt that bad compare with other schools..

39. Stephie

Stephie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for telling me about the tuition- I can't believe I looked at the wrong amount on their webpage! I feel much better now. I called today and left a message on the office machine about which date I would prefer for the candidate visit. They didn't get back to me before I had to work so now I have to wait until Monday. I hope all of the spots for Feb. visits aren't gone!

40. cherryturnover

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Thanks!! :)
    I'm more calm now, hehe. well, English is not my first language therefore I really need to practice on the writing. My status meets the minimum (GPA 3.1; PCAT 72) that they asked for... if I don't get in to any of the pharmschools then I will stay for the fourth year and get my BS. Well, right now I'm just exciting to visit Chicago and maybe see some snow~!

41. futurepharm.d.?

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hopefully there will be snow in Feb, so you can see some..This year, we don't have much snow here (chicago)..Streets are very clean (really surprising!!)..Good luck at your MCV!!! :luck:

42. chichan

chichan Member
    5+ Year Member

43. chichan

chichan Member
    5+ Year Member

It is so amazing how fast the evaluation process is! I got an acceptance email last thursday, four days after the mandatory campus visit (Jan 9th)! I am very excited now! I'll have my UCSF interview in less than 2 weeks and I'll be much more relaxed!!!!!

44. Stephie

Stephie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How long do you have to make your decision after you receive an acceptance and how much is the deposit?

Thanks!

45. cherryturnover

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

thanks! i hope i do see some snow! if i do.. it will be my first time ever! :)

46. cherryturnover

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

wow~ congrats!!! and hope your interview goes well :)

47. chichan

chichan Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks! Hey I was hoping to see some snow in Chicago but... The weather was pretty nice the whole week (jan 9th to 16th). It was sunny all the time but still freezing! :) I recommend you to bring a heavy winter coat, gloves, hats and scarves! Also take a chance to look around the city; it's pretty nice!
    But most importantly, for the interview, try your best in the writing part and when they have the interactive group, show interest and ask them a lot of questions because I remember the dean saying that they would evaluate us in writing as well as oral communication and that would be during the interactive group meeting. Although they don't take notes during the meeting, I noticed the staff writing something down next to the applicants names. My advice is that since you are there, might as well try your best and be proactive to make a good impression.
    I hope this helps and good luck! (hopefully it snows! :)

48. cherryturnover

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Thanks so much for the tips!!! :thumbup: Ask a lot of questions and take notes will definitely help. :) Thank you!

49. calrx

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You need to make a trip to NY then. It snows 7 months of the year.:eek:

50. futurepharm.d.?

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

congrats on your acceptance, chichan, :) , can I ask how much is the deposit and how much time do you have to send it in?? thanks

51. chichan

chichan Member
    5+ Year Member

I only received the acceptance email and they said they would send me the packet very soon. But the info I got from Pharmcas is that you have 4 wks to accept the offer and pay $500 for the deposit.
    Hey good luck to you!