Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGunaHappen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might be moving to Chicago next May.
This sounds like a "what are my chances" post, but I just want to know if any alumni or admitted students specifically from CCOM had a similar resume as mine.
I am fully aware of their average 3.59 gpa, 29.5 MCAT.
I will apply June/July 2015. Anyone else who looked like me have the opportunity to interview?

GPA/MCAT:
  • cGPA 3.35
  • sGPA 3.4
  • MCAT 27 (9,9,9) (first time took mcat got a 22)
Undergrad 3.17 cGPA with B.S. in Neuroscience 2013 from a reputable university.
1 year Postbacc 3.9 --> cGPA 3.35. (A's in biochem, virology, pharmacology ect...)

EXPERIENCE:
  • 1000+ Hours working in ER as a scribe. Scribe trainer.
  • 500+ Hours working at hospital as patient care tech in cath lab and in surgery.
  • Post-graduation worked as a technical salesman. Was ranked top in my comp. (before realizing it wasn't for me, so I started the post-bacc)
  • 200+ hours volunteer in hospital.
  • 100 hour Internship at U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.
  • Worked in a research lab for 1 semester (wasn't my cup of tea).
  • 50 hours shadowed over 5 types of doctors - (surgeon, oncology, cardio, family, plastics)
  • Spent this last semester doing post bacc and working as a tutor for another university.
    • Science tutor subjects;
      • Biol 1-2, Microbiology, A&P 1-2
      • Chem 1-2, Ochem 1-2
      • Physics 1-2
        • on a side note - I have had to re-read and stay sharp on all these subjects while taking classes full-time. (I don't sleep).
LEADERSHIP:
  • Started a DO organization at my university - served as president for 1 year. (30+ members)... DO's came to speak at our meetings.
  • Served in student government for the Science College.
  • Served on mission trips to 3rd world countries.
  • Eagle Scout.
LETTER OF REC:
  • 5 excellent letters of rec - I am close with all writers.
    • 1 DO (working in ER), 1 MD, 1 volunteer boss, 2 neuroscience prof's I was close with (and made A's).
PERSONAL STATEMENT:
  • One of the strongest parts of my application. (was proofread by physicians, pre-med counselor...).
I am incredibly passionate and committed to medicine, I just need to get my foot in the door for an interview.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good chance of getting into almost every DO schools, given your average MCAT and stellar post-bacc GPA. While the averages of CCOM are a bit higher, the averages are just that, and there are plenty of applicants with much lower than the averages who got in. You wouldn't really know until you apply next cycle.

My advice to you is relax and not worry too much for the time being (the cycle hasn't even started yet!). It's going to be a long haul until you get your first acceptance so stressing out too much now is setting yourself up for burnout. Make sure you've got all your LORs/transcripts ready. Pre-write your secondaries for schools that re-use them and continue doing your extacurriculars/work/volunteering/etc. Also prepare for your interviews by reading up on medically related current events and ethical issues in clinical settings.

Reactions: 1 user