Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary Submitted!

I assume they don't interview with the physician LOR lacking? Won't have mine for 2-3 weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary Submitted!

I assume they don't interview with the physician LOR lacking? Won't have mine for 2-3 weeks?

You should be okay. I combed through last year's thread, and they didn't start the interview invites until early August.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys,

just wondering what my chances would be at this school. cGPA 3.1 (health issues during first 2 years of college), sGPA 3.6 (with some retakes), 23 MCAT (first take) 27 MCAT (retake): 8,9,10 (PS,VB,BS). i have volunteered at a hospital, shadowed a DO, tutored chemistry and biology at my undergrad institution for over 3 years, student mentor for incoming science majors w/ the Student Development Department, volunteered in soup kitchens feeding the homeless to name a few ECs.

hi guys,

just wondering what my chances would be at this school. cGPA 3.1 (health issues during first 2 years of college), sGPA 3.6 (with some retakes), 23 MCAT (first take) 27 MCAT (retake): 8,9,10 (PS,VB,BS). i have volunteered at a hospital, shadowed a DO, tutored chemistry and biology at my undergrad institution for over 3 years, student mentor for incoming science majors w/ the Student Development Department, volunteered in soup kitchens feeding the homeless to name a few ECs.

cGPA is a bit low and idk how this school looks at retkaes but if its highest score then i think you should have a shot but depends on how they see all your ECs and app.

I submitted my primary on 6/14 but it's still processing. Haven't gotten a secondary from CCOM. Were you guys verified before you received the secondary?

I submitted my primary on 6/14 but it's still processing. Haven't gotten a secondary from CCOM. Were you guys verified before you received the secondary?

I don't think that AACOMAS will send your primary to the school until it is verified. The good news is thy you're still early and will beat the rush. Good luck!

Hopeful here - I have a c3.63, s3.51, 29 MCAT (P10/V9/B10)
Good ECs - research/clinical/nonclinical as well

My only issue is I have 0 experience with DOs. Do you think that hurts my chances?

My only issue is I have 0 experience with DOs. Do you think that hurts my chances?

It might but if you have an excuse such as there are no DOs where you live then it should be fine. Make sure you know what the whole DO practice is about b/c they will ask you esp if you have no exp with it. Overall nice stats!

On the CV they requested they wanted to know
College extra curriculum activities, honors and leader responsibilities:

Is it okay if I put taking care of my grandmother.

I was in several clubs but I was not very involved and left after abt. a semester.

And taking care of my grandmother, I think would fit because she that main reason I want to become a physician and plus her primary care physician which was a D.O. made me become interested in osteopathic medicine.

And would my scholarships count as honors, or am I stretching it?

How in depth are you guys writing the essays? like talk about one specific example or mention a lot of things?

Will not kill your chances...but for your own personal experience, I would attempt to get in contact with a D.O.

QUESTION: I just got a job today but I don't start until next week. Should I still mention the job on my resume?
I would probably not put it on just yet

How in depth are you guys writing the essays? like talk about one specific example or mention a lot of things?
I would focus on two/three strong points

Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone answering the secondary prompt: "Why do you believe AZCOM/CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?"

MWU doesn't put a whole lot of information on their websites, so I can't do the standard bs response.

So should I wait until I start my job to submit my secondary or just send it in now without it? My essays and resume are pretty much done otherwise.
I can not answer this question for you! Things you should ask yourself: Is this really going to make a difference if added or not? Is this a stable position?(ex. if you put it on resume and submit then get interview 2 months from now and are asked about it but you decided the job wasn't for you and only worked there 2 weeks, then what?) If you answered yes to these, then I would probably add it and submit once you start. If not, then submit what you have and if you don't here back in a few months or get an interview down the road and you still are employed then I would just submit a updated resume to them....

How is everyone answering the secondary prompt: "Why do you believe AZCOM/CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?"

MWU doesn't put a whole lot of information on their websites, so I can't do the standard bs response.

Great question...here are somethings to research (google or call the admissions-->they are super friendly and would love to fill you in on the school, also think about attending an open house event)

History/Reputation
program structure/approach
faculty
rotation sites
community involvement

Sorry to hear that! Is this post or pre-secondary?

Pre-secondary. I have a bad cGPA from when I did my bachelor work. My post-bac is strong but I guess they won't overlook the cGPA. Oh well.

On the CV did you guys ad details about what you did at volunteer or paid work ?
I take my detail explanation from my app and added to my CV.

On the CV did you guys ad details about what you did at volunteer or paid work ?
I take my detail explanation from my app and added to my CV.

A couple of short sentences should do describing what you did or duties of experience...

please tell me your avi is jason genova. if so, mirin.

Submitted the secondary today. :) My very first submission; so excited to be moving forward in the med school admissions process!!

My essays merged their paragraphs when I posted them on the secondary. Is that normal?

Yeah they do it that way on purpose. You probably noticed on the app summary that you had an extra space where you put a space between paragraphs. Just delete the spaces.

Anyone know when interview invitations start being sent out from CCOM? Or other schools for that matter?

Anyone know when interview invitations start being sent out from CCOM? Or other schools for that matter?

lecom already sent out invites for July. :eek:

just received an email from ccom title "why consider ccom" :laugh::laugh: i feel like they try to give us the "correct" answer after secondary submission.

lecom already sent out invites for July. :eek:

just received an email from ccom title "why consider ccom" :laugh::laugh: i feel like they try to give us the "correct" answer after secondary submission.

Yeah what is this? an ad?

I got that e-mail too but I did not send my secondary yet... it will definitely be helpful

Hey,

I submitted my secondary today, and it was checked off on the list of required documents. My advisor sent my LORs a couple of weeks ago, but they aren't checked off. Does anyone have their LORs checked off on the list yet?

Thanks.

I just got verified. My application has not be released yet. Once released when do they send you a secondary?

I got it within a week of my primary being released. I imagine it'll be the same for you.

Hey,

I submitted my secondary today, and it was checked off on the list of required documents. My advisor sent my LORs a couple of weeks ago, but they aren't checked off. Does anyone have their LORs checked off on the list yet?

Thanks.

I'm in a similar situation. Not only that, but although my MCAT score was received by AACOMAS last Tuesday, it seems that CCOM hasn't received that one as well...

Can some current CCOM students shed some light on this. I want to know how caring the faculty is at CCOM? do they care for the success of the students and help students out as much as possible, etc. any specific examples/occurrences that helped you gauged how helping/caring the faculty is would be great. thank you

Got my complete email today. Wonder what the time line is for interviews?

Should we split our resume up into the sections that they indicated on the secondary, or is it ok to have different/ fewer sections as long as we include all of that information?

Should we split our resume up into the sections that they indicated on the secondary, or is it ok to have different/ fewer sections as long as we include all of that information?

I've had a resume for jobs for awhile, so I just added a hobbies section. My categories were as follows: education, honors, experience, volunteer, activities, hobbies. Not exactly how they split up the sections, but what made the most sense to me.

Ok, thanks! I was just a little confused becuase a lot of the categories they mentioned overlap!

Do they not look at your secondaries until LORS are received? What did you guys talk about in the 2 questions?

or if all else fails you ask the medical students hanging around for insight to a specific incidence you may want to know about

Can some current CCOM students shed some light on this. I want to know how caring the faculty is at CCOM? do they care for the success of the students and help students out as much as possible, etc. any specific examples/occurrences that helped you gauged how helping/caring the faculty is would be great. thank you

I will pipe in because it truly surprised me when this happened and it was well documented when it happened so I will talk about it here.

In early February my first year, my grandmother had a hysterectomy for uterine fibroids and bleeding. The Thursday night before finals week, she ended up in septic shock due to a perforate diverticulum. Our anatomy professor happened to be at the ICM final the next morning. After I finished my exam, I went up to her and whispered what was going on and she immediately sent me over to the deans office as our anatomy final was Monday and I was in full freak out mode. The assistant dean let me cry for a good 5 minutes and once I calmed down, talked with me and we laid out my options and asked what I wanted to do. I was going to try to avoid taking anatomy in the summer so I wanted to take the exam if possible unless something absolutely catastrophic happened. We made a concrete plan which included her giving me her home and cell number with arrangements that I would touch base with her on Sunday evening to let her know where my mind was and how I wanted to proceed for the next day. I ended up taking my finals and finishing anatomy, but knowing that we would figure something out f push came to shove and the absolute worst happened made what was an absolute nightmare of a situation a little more bearable.
This past year, I came home from christmas to a massive family emergency and when I emailed the administration they called me at home on a Thursday evening while at an airport to amok arrangements for me to take a 2 week emergency leave of absence from rotations.

Yes they are absolutely 100% caring - they have your back no matter what.

Weird how my physician LOR is verified but not my science one. :confused:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Weird how my physician LOR is verified but not my science one. :confused:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Mine is the same way! I was going to call tomorrow since they are in the same packet.

so is mine. i called them they said they have been slow at downloading the files from the non physician LORs and to just wait/give it time.

Mine is the same way! I was going to call tomorrow since they are in the same packet.

so is mine. i called them they said they have been slow at downloading the files from the non physician LORs and to just wait/give it time.

I see
When I called in, the lady that answer basically told me "seriously? you know it's only been a week right?" and ask if I have any more Qs lol

I see
When I called in, the lady that answer basically told me "seriously? you know it's only been a week right?" and ask if I have any more Qs lol

That's so funny! It's all one packet though.. so it wouldn't make sense that one could be downloaded without the other. But you are right... we should wait!