Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
after how many days did you guys send in your secondary? I have been so busy with work that I am not getting a chance to fill it out. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I will pipe in because it truly surprised me when this happened and it was well documented when it happened so I will talk about it here.

In early February my first year, my grandmother had a hysterectomy for uterine fibroids and bleeding. The Thursday night before finals week, she ended up in septic shock due to a perforate diverticulum. Our anatomy professor happened to be at the ICM final the next morning. After I finished my exam, I went up to her and whispered what was going on and she immediately sent me over to the deans office as our anatomy final was Monday and I was in full freak out mode. The assistant dean let me cry for a good 5 minutes and once I calmed down, talked with me and we laid out my options and asked what I wanted to do. I was going to try to avoid taking anatomy in the summer so I wanted to take the exam if possible unless something absolutely catastrophic happened. We made a concrete plan which included her giving me her home and cell number with arrangements that I would touch base with her on Sunday evening to let her know where my mind was and how I wanted to proceed for the next day. I ended up taking my finals and finishing anatomy, but knowing that we would figure something out f push came to shove and the absolute worst happened made what was an absolute nightmare of a situation a little more bearable.
This past year, I came home from christmas to a massive family emergency and when I emailed the administration they called me at home on a Thursday evening while at an airport to amok arrangements for me to take a 2 week emergency leave of absence from rotations.

Yes they are absolutely 100% caring - they have your back no matter what.

Wow! That is incredible. Hope all is well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the applicant portal login page at online.midwestern.edu.? I haven't been able to connect all morning and need to submit my secondary.

Unless things have changed, you can send more than 2 and can also continue to send additional letters while on the waitlist, if you want.

I think CCOM is fine. :)

Hmmm--I sent three letters, and my status page lists one. Dunno if it's a technical limitation.

Think they'll still look at all 3? They chose my 2nd best letter.

Think I should shoot an email and request they switch to the stronger one as my primary?

Hmmm--I sent three letters, and my status page lists one. Dunno if it's a technical limitation.

Think they'll still look at all 3? They chose my 2nd best letter.

Think I should shoot an email and request they switch to the stronger one as my primary?

I'd email and ask what's up with only one being listed. But I'm pretty positive that if you send in extra letters they take all into consideration. I sent 4 last year lol

What do you guys think of re-using my Why CCOM/AZCOM essays for this years cycle? I basically wrote about some of the curriculum bits they have on their website. Perhaps I should re-word it? Seems silly since its so short it would just be the same thing over again anyways.

I really think my only issue was applying late(complete in like december...? stupid I know) last year.

What do you guys think of re-using my Why CCOM/AZCOM essays for this years cycle? I basically wrote about some of the curriculum bits they have on their website. Perhaps I should re-word it? Seems silly since its so short it would just be the same thing over again anyways.

I really think my only issue was applying late(complete in like december...? stupid I know) last year.

I'd rewrite them. I realize you'll BASICALLY be saying the same thing, but copying and pasting last years essays will make you look lazy. Better safe than sorry!

I'd rewrite them. I realize you'll BASICALLY be saying the same thing, but copying and pasting last years essays will make you look lazy. Better safe than sorry!

Definitely rewrite them. Find something unique you've learned in the past year or six months since you applied even if it's just a sentence or two.

Are you guys trying to get as close as you can to the character limit? I'm at 800 right now and I feel like it's short compared to the 1500 character limit they give you.

Are you guys trying to get as close as you can to the character limit? I'm at 800 right now and I feel like it's short compared to the 1500 character limit they give you.

I def went shorter. I think they are trying to make sure they don't limit you...but I doubt they expect you'll use 1500

Members don't see this ad :)
hope all is well on your end. but i am glad to hear about how caring and responsive the faculty is. thank you for sharing.

I will pipe in because it truly surprised me when this happened and it was well documented when it happened so I will talk about it here.

In early February my first year, my grandmother had a hysterectomy for uterine fibroids and bleeding. The Thursday night before finals week, she ended up in septic shock due to a perforate diverticulum. Our anatomy professor happened to be at the ICM final the next morning. After I finished my exam, I went up to her and whispered what was going on and she immediately sent me over to the deans office as our anatomy final was Monday and I was in full freak out mode. The assistant dean let me cry for a good 5 minutes and once I calmed down, talked with me and we laid out my options and asked what I wanted to do. I was going to try to avoid taking anatomy in the summer so I wanted to take the exam if possible unless something absolutely catastrophic happened. We made a concrete plan which included her giving me her home and cell number with arrangements that I would touch base with her on Sunday evening to let her know where my mind was and how I wanted to proceed for the next day. I ended up taking my finals and finishing anatomy, but knowing that we would figure something out f push came to shove and the absolute worst happened made what was an absolute nightmare of a situation a little more bearable.
This past year, I came home from christmas to a massive family emergency and when I emailed the administration they called me at home on a Thursday evening while at an airport to amok arrangements for me to take a 2 week emergency leave of absence from rotations.

Yes they are absolutely 100% caring - they have your back no matter what.

LOR marked as received this afternoon!

Had called the office of admissions earlier this morning inquiring about my missing LOR (still hadn't been marked as received after being uploaded to VirtualEvals last Monday); received a phone call back just a bit ago about how they just processed my letters. :)

Complete now, yay!

^ Dam, mine is still not received!

Weird how they 'received' the physician LOR almost instantly but not my science one

Would a current med student be able to talk about some of the research and community service opportunities at CCOM?

LOR marked as received this afternoon!

Had called the office of admissions earlier this morning inquiring about my missing LOR (still hadn't been marked as received after being uploaded to VirtualEvals last Monday); received a phone call back just a bit ago about how they just processed my letters. :)

Complete now, yay!

Same problem with me! My lors were sent this wednesday. When do you think my file will be complete?

Are they keep sending you guys emails about their college?

Could someone post the essay prompts? Someone earlier paraphrased them, but I would like the specific wording, thanks!

Could someone post the essay prompts? Someone earlier paraphrased them, but I would like the specific wording, thanks!
-Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

-Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class?

1,500 characters max

Good luck!

My "Applicant Checklist" is complete. I was wondering what happens next. DO they send you an email saying your complete? DO they update your status online?

My "Applicant Checklist" is complete. I was wondering what happens next. DO they send you an email saying your complete? DO they update your status online?

They sent me a box of chocolates haha. I think it just says complete and has all green lights. But I would have enjoyed some chocolates, but not as much as an ii!!!

They sent me a box of chocolates haha. I think it just says complete and has all green lights. But I would have enjoyed some chocolates, but not as much as an ii!!!

true!

I'm super nervous about hearing back. My stats are way messed up, but I thought I did the best I could.

In state,
4.0 GPA
24 MCAT
20 years old
Researching for 2 years
Completing college in 2 and a half years
In a couple of leadership positions as treasurer, board member etc
Coming from an impoverished background, want to focus on underserved medicine.

Do you guys think I might get in to CCOM? I love the school, and I really want to be a part of it.
:)

I think they start giving interviews in August, sit tight till then :)

I'm super nervous about hearing back. My stats are way messed up, but I thought I did the best I could.

In state,
4.0 GPA
24 MCAT
20 years old
Researching for 2 years
Completing college in 2 and a half years
In a couple of leadership positions as treasurer, board member etc
Coming from an impoverished background, want to focus on underserved medicine.

Do you guys think I might get in to CCOM? I love the school, and I really want to be a part of it.
:)

Definitely. Your MCAT is a little lower than mine was, but we have a very similar app other than that. Good luck!

-Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

-Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class?

1,500 characters max

Good luck!

Thank you!

Complete as of Saturday! My DO letter showed up first in their system too, showed missing professor, but then a few days later it showed up and I got the email saying everything was in. It must just take a while to organize the letters, CCOM took longer than AZCOM with them, though. I think they do it to toy with our minds.:p

Does yours show specifics on who wrote the letters? mine just says something like "physician letter received."

Just got my secondary, lets do this... Can we submit more than two letters of recommendation

Last edited:
I have my secondary all ready to go but am waiting on my letter from D.O that is an alum. She has had a family emergency and said she can hopefully have my letter by the second week of August. I have an MD letter on file, should I send this and then send the D.O. letter when its available? Same case with other applications :(

I have my secondary all ready to go but am waiting on my letter from D.O that is an alum. She has had a family emergency and said she can hopefully have my letter by the second week of August. I have an MD letter on file, should I send this and then send the D.O. letter when its available? Same case with other applications :(

Yeah, I would submit the secondary now. It won't make a big difference if the letter arrives soon after

got a letter in the mail and was FREAKING out. It just happens to be a letter confirming I meet their requirements and should submit the secondary - I already did a few days ago.

got a letter in the mail and was FREAKING out. It just happens to be a letter confirming I meet their requirements and should submit the secondary - I already did a few days ago.

I hate fake outs like that! Getting letters last cycle like that were so annoying lol. Just FYI for CCOM you will get an email for an interview.

I hate fake outs like that! Getting letters last cycle like that were so annoying lol. Just FYI for CCOM you will get an email for an interview.

Same here. Did anyone receive an interview or a post secondary rejection?

I applied to both AZCOM and CCOM.. checked the site and I've been invited for an interview at AZCOM! I did not get an Email but was instead just obsessively checking.

CCOM was a little delayed in completing my application even though I applied to both at the same time. I imagine/hope their interview invite will come out very soon (within a week).

I applied to both AZCOM and CCOM.. checked the site and I've been invited for an interview at AZCOM! I did not get an Email but was instead just obsessively checking.

CCOM was a little delayed in completing my application even though I applied to both at the same time. I imagine/hope their interview invite will come out very soon (within a week).

Complete date?

The stats for class of 2017 was: 29 mcat, 3.7 cgpa and 3.6 sgpa. Averages.

But they reiterated over and over again that they look at the whole application and not just the numbers. If you truly want to be a DO, and you know a lot about it. I think you'll be fine.