Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 chars)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 chars)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:
  • Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
  • Employment History
  • Medically related work and volunteer experiences
  • College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck all.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck, everybody! I'm an upcoming first year but feel free to shoot me any questions. I'll try to answer with my (limited) knowledge. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a soon to be 4th year willing to answer questions as well.

Hey guys.

First time applying, rising senior in college. I just had a couple general questions.
I was wondering about admitted statistics and their deviation.
How soon should you really submit your applications by, particularly the primary? I know the deadlines are not until January.
Does the college and rigor of the school make a difference?
Also, regarding holistic reviews, how can you incorporate family/personal hardships/illness into your application? Do they take this into account? Also, does your state/Illinois residency make a difference? Thanks and good luck!

Hey guys.

First time applying, rising senior in college. I just had a couple general questions.
How soon should you really submit your applications by, particularly the primary? I know the deadlines are not until January.
Also, regarding holistic reviews, how can you incorporate family/personal hardships/illness into your application? Do they take this into account? Also, does your state/Illinois residency make a difference? Thanks and good luck!

Hey guys.

Hey guys.

Hey guys.

It's on the website, and is usually posted on the websites of a lot of schools. It's worth looking up so you don't waste money applying to some schools and possibly find other schools that you didn't think you had a chance with.
https://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/il-osteopathic-medicine.html#FastFacts
ASAP, but always make sure your application is complete with as few errors as possible. It looks way better to have a fine-tune application and submit several weeks later than it does to be the first to submit with multiple spelling/grammar errors. Don't take this to mean you should just wait a few weeks though. Do try to get it in as quickly (but correctly) as you can.
Like every other school, yes it does, but that's only one part of your application.
Personal statement is a great place to do this, particularly if it has influenced your decision to apply to medical school. CCOM is just interested to see who you are as a person and how you would fit into our community. There is a great atmosphere here where students aren't as competitive towards one another and everyone tries to help everyone else out (especially on class facebook group pages, which have been life-savers plenty of times). And residency doesn't really matter too much. Who you are matters a great deal more.

Going to be an underdawg applicant for this school (28 MCAT, OOS), but after visiting the website I had to give myself a shot! Hoping for some love!

Going to be an underdawg applicant for this school (28 MCAT, OOS), but after visiting the website I had to give myself a shot! Hoping for some love!
Apply early you have a chance with a 28 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently getting verified. Hopefully, it'll be done before June 15th, when submissions start getting transferred to schools!

just submitted a couple days ago, and still alternate listed for this year.

Good luck! You still have a chance! How long until you find out?
I have no idea...we won't get rejected until first week of classes, so a Yes could come any time before then. AACOMAS apps aren't viewable by the school until June 15th, so hopefully they'll be done entering my transcripts and all that.

Definitely not an underdog. CCOM looks at way more than just scores in order to offer interviews. From my perspective as a student, there were a wide variety of MCAT scores that got accepted as they are only mildly indicative of how you will preform throughout all of school and as a residency.

Good luck!

Well as a Georgia Resident, it is apparent not many matriculate to DO schools outside of PCOM-GA. http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2014_MatCOMState.pdf?sfvrsn=6

Not sure if that is a result of lack of apps to OOS Do programs or what, but seeing a big fat 0 is a bit disconcerting.

A lot of this is selection bias on the applicants' part, i.e. students from IL might be more likely to pick CCOM over other acceptances; students from GA might be more likely to pick PCOM-GA (or other school in the southeast, perhaps) over other acceptances. Or, as you mentioned, perhaps students from GA are less likely to apply at all to CCOM. Don't be discouraged by that! Craft your school list with your stats in mind, but don't be afraid to include schools that interest you even if you feel they are "reaches" for one reason or another.

Definitely! I'll be applying all over the place...and early too. so hopefully the early submission will help get some OOS interviews!

Ah me too!! The school seems pretty awesome. My application is almost done, just gotta finalize my personal statement. Is this cutting it too late? AACOMAS already received my transcripts

Ah me too!! The school seems pretty awesome. My application is almost done, just gotta finalize my personal statement. Is this cutting it too late? AACOMAS already received my transcripts
It's still early. Last year, we couldn't even submit until June. As my undergrad advisor used to say, "let the primary fly by the 4th of July" and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have a secondary prompt for this school? I checked the older threads, but couldnt find anything.

Applying here oos! On the secondary where it says why ccom would it be wise to mention that your pcp graduated from ccom? If I mention the physician's name would that be bad?

Applying here oos! On the secondary where it says why ccom would it be wise to mention that your pcp graduated from ccom? If I mention the physician's name would that be bad?
If your pcp truly is the reason or made the biggest impact of why CCOM, then mention that. However, the secondary is another way for you to express yourself and interest so if you have other reasons that seem more personal and tailored to you then mention those instead. It is not bad to mention your pcp, but many if the applicants also have an alumnus as their pcp. Plus, you have limited amount of characters so mention something that truly makes you a student that they should consider in the small paragraph that you are given.

If your pcp truly is the reason or made the biggest impact of why CCOM, then mention that. However, the secondary is another way for you to express yourself and interest so if you have other reasons that seem more personal and tailored to you then mention those instead. It is not bad to mention your pcp, but many if the applicants also have an alumnus as their pcp. Plus, you have limited amount of characters so mention something that truly makes you a student that they should consider in the small paragraph that you are given.

I did get way more personal about why I want to attend CCOM, I just wanted to see if it's okay to mention my pcp by name. It only takes up one sentence of that question on my secondary so I think I'll keep it. Thanks for the response!

I did get way more personal about why I want to attend CCOM, I just wanted to see if it's okay to mention my pcp by name. It only takes up one sentence of that question on my secondary so I think I'll keep it. Thanks for the response!
Oh yes no prob. I dont think they have a rule about mentioning people. For me I actually think my pcp just said that he graduated from the school
In his LOR lol.

Excited about applying here this year

I got the secondary to CCOM for 2015-2016 cycle, but there is no essay??????

I just had to fill out some basic information like DOB, address etc.

In fact when I go to the "supplemental application" heading it says "You do not have any electronic supplemental
applications to complete at this time."

What?

Last edited:

In fact when I go to the "supplemental application" heading it says "You do not have any electronic supplemental

What?
Same exact situation. Mine says the same thing as well.

Got the secondary material also.

There is no supplemental essays assigned so far. So, the schoool is going to offer us invites based on cgpa, scgpa, mcat, and primary essay. Cool.

What?

Interesting. Can you upload a resume or CV?

What?

whoa no essay this year? i was just about to start pre writing the essays for this school. Good thing i came here first lol.

Can anyone else confirm this?

whoa no essay this year? i was just about to start pre writing the essays for this school. Good thing i came here first lol.

Can anyone else confirm this?

It could change but there are no essays as if right now

It could change but there are no essays as if right now
That's really odd for the school to do since it conducts semi-open interviews. All they had from my interview was my resume/CV and secondary essays. I'm not sure if it's some glitch or something, but I doubt there would be no essays this year.

Has everyone received the secondary email? I was verified 5/27 and had paid and submitted prior to that.

Ok so they put up the essays. Its the exact same as last year.

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 chars)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 chars)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:
  • Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
  • Employment History
  • Medically related work and volunteer experiences
  • College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Hobbies and nonacademic interests

No secondary either and I must have been verified in May.

Under the applicant checklist, it looks like CCOM hasn't received any of my documents yet (MCAT scores, physician recommendation letter, recommendation letter, etc) and the status is listed as "expected". Does anybody else have this as well?

Under the applicant checklist, it looks like CCOM hasn't received any of my documents yet (MCAT scores, physician recommendation letter, recommendation letter, etc) and the status is listed as "expected". Does anybody else have this as well?

Give it a day or two.

MCATS wont be up for anyone till end of June thanks to the new AACOMAS system.