Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know where I can order a CCOM sweatshirt online? The school bookstore just has like 3 polos.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know where I can order a CCOM sweatshirt online? The school bookstore just has like 3 polos.

I would like to know this too!! I want to get my family some swag for Christmas. Im considering calling the bookstore tomorrow but I know you need an ID to get into campus so idk if I'd be able to just go there and check it out.

I would like to know this too!! I want to get my family some swag for Christmas. Im considering calling the bookstore tomorrow but I know you need an ID to get into campus so idk if I'd be able to just go there and check it out.

Unfortunately the bookstore doesn't sell too much CCOM specific gear. You can call and ask if they have anything specific in stock, but when you start school you'll see that clubs often sell CCOM sweatshirts/shirts/zip ups etc. and you'll have several opportunities in your first year to stock up on gear for yourself and your family. If you're really desperate to buy something now, you can get a Midwestern University t-shirt or sweatshirt from the bookstore :) And you can probably get into campus if you tell security you're an accepted student and then wait around for someone to open the door of the Commons (building that houses the bookstore). I never personally tried that but you're unlikely to encounter any serious problems haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone knew about off campus housing..I was looking at apartments around the area and everything seems to be pretty expensive ($1200 plus) but all really nice. I wouldn't mind finding a decent and cheaper place seeing I won't have a salary for a good 4 years haha.

Whats everyone willing to pay? And is it worth it to live really close to campus?

Thanks!

Just sent my secondary in this morning.

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone knew about off campus housing..I was looking at apartments around the area and everything seems to be pretty expensive ($1200 plus) but all really nice. I wouldn't mind finding a decent and cheaper place seeing I won't have a salary for a good 4 years haha.

Whats everyone willing to pay? And is it worth it to live really close to campus?

Thanks!

Hey Doe! From what I've heard so far, Brookhill apartments, The Grove, Cityview, and Versailles are the big four places where students seem to live off campus. They are all pretty expensive, but I think that if you find a roommate or few, it could be much more affordable. I'd love if there was a Midwestern University Facebook page or SDN page for the Class of 2021, but I haven't been able to find one yet. Might just have to make one myself and see if people are willing to join to talk about housing and roommates, lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Got my official acceptance letter in the mail today!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey Doe! From what I've heard so far, Brookhill apartments, The Grove, Cityview, and Versailles are the big four places where students seem to live off campus. They are all pretty expensive, but I think that if you find a roommate or few, it could be much more affordable. I'd love if there was a Midwestern University Facebook page or SDN page for the Class of 2021, but I haven't been able to find one yet. Might just have to make one myself and see if people are willing to join to talk about housing and roommates, lol.
Yesss I am anxious for a FB group too!! :)

Paid the deposit! Starting to feel real now that I officially have an mwu email address! So excited :)

Reactions: 7 users
I paid the deposit a few weeks ago and am so excited about this school!!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a Facebook group for accepted students??

Yesss I am anxious for a FB group too!! :)

Is there a Facebook group for accepted students??

I'd hang tight on the FB group, usually current students will make it for you. I felt the same way and was excited to start connecting with other people who would be in my class, but it's nice when the older students create the group so you can also get connected with current students in other classes :) Congrats to all of you on your acceptances and welcome to the CCOM family!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Silence here. OOS. Complete 8/20. GPA: 3.4 and MCAT: 509. Any insights?

So excited to interview here on Tuesday! Coming from a warm place and have never seen a real winter so hope I don't freeze! Anyone know approximately how long after the interview it takes them to get back with a decision?

So excited to interview here on Tuesday! Coming from a warm place and have never seen a real winter so hope I don't freeze! Anyone know approximately how long after the interview it takes them to get back with a decision?

They meet roughly twice a month so it depends on when you interview - although it might take longer with the holidays coming up. It took me 5 days to hear back about my acceptance. It took a friend of mine two weeks. Overall it seems to be a pretty quick turn-around through.

It's not super cold yet but we got a lot of snow today so be prepared for that! It took 12 days for me to hear back. Good luck!!

They meet roughly twice a month so it depends on when you interview - although it might take longer with the holidays coming up. It took me 5 days to hear back about my acceptance. It took a friend of mine two weeks. Overall it seems to be a pretty quick turn-around through.
Thanks! Also, I was looking at a map of the campus and it seems relatively large (compared to the other school I've interviewed at). Is there a campus tour portion, and if so is it a walking tour of the whole campus? Just trying to gauge appropriate footwear. My last question, I'll be heading straight to the airport from the school, will they have a room to store luggage while we are interviewing? Thank you so much for any help!

Thanks! Also, I was looking at a map of the campus and it seems relatively large (compared to the other school I've interviewed at). Is there a campus tour portion, and if so is it a walking tour of the whole campus? Just trying to gauge appropriate footwear. My last question, I'll be heading straight to the airport from the school, will they have a room to store luggage while we are interviewing? Thank you so much for any help!

They will definitely have a place for you to keep your suitcase and things; during my interview, I remember another interviewee that was going straight from the interview to O'Hare too. As for the campus tour, there is a brief walking tour of campus, but the walkways are likely salted and cleared of snow, and they won't take you somewhere difficult to walk. For men, normal formal shoes should be just fine. For women, I'd recommend either shoes, flats, or wedges, basically something that has you fully connected to the ground so that you don't slip. I would advise against heels in this Illinois winter!

So if I understand correctly, CCOM does silent rejections by simply blocking you out of the Admissions portal?

They will send a rejection letter eventually but you would probably receive it 2/3 weeks after the portal is updated

Besides me and StarryNight150, who else has paid the deposit and is 100% matriculating?!

Hey guys so I was wondering if you guys thought it was still worthwhile for me to apply here this late?

stats: 3.42 cgpa 505 MCAT

I know its late which sucks! Also is there a secondary essay? Are you screened before you receive one?

Hey guys so I was wondering if you guys thought it was still worthwhile for me to apply here this late?

stats: 3.42 cgpa 505 MCAT

I know its late which sucks! Also is there a secondary essay? Are you screened before you receive one?

i could be wrong but i personally think its a bit late in the cycle. if you have the extra money and have already applied to other schools and have had your aacomas verified then go for it. if not id wait until next cycle

Hey all,
I'm supposed to pay the deposit in the next few days... I really like the school, it just might not be the best option for me financially if I can get into an in state school... anyone know if it's possible to postpone the payment?$1000 is a lot around Christmas if I'm not going to end up going there... Thanks!!

Hey all,
I'm supposed to pay the deposit in the next few days... I really like the school, it just might not be the best option for me financially if I can get into an in state school... anyone know if it's possible to postpone the payment?$1000 is a lot around Christmas if I'm not going to end up going there... Thanks!!

I highly doubt it, as I'm sure many people are in your situation. Do you have any other acceptances? If not, you should pay the deposit just so you have one spot secured.

Hey all,

As far as I know, there's no way to have the deposit payment deferred. You could try to call Midwestern's admissions office, explain your financial situation, and see if they can offer you a deferred deadline for payment. I know $1000 is really tough to have zapped out of your bank account regardless, but if it's the only school you've been accepted to so far, I'd definitely find a way to pay it.
Also, congratulations on being accepted! :)

Friends of mine have called schools to ask if they can postpone deposits. They have all said no, unless you sign a legal agreement that says you will only enroll at said school. The schools know that most people trying to get out of deposits are waiting to hear back from other schools.

Anyone know when the committee is supposed to meet before break?

Just accepted into CCOM via email! So excited this was definitely my top DO choice!! Interviewed 12/6

Reactions: 8 users
If yall are looking for housing, anything within the immediate area will be priced around $1000 +/-. If you don't mind a short commute, you can find much more affordable options about in Westmont and Woodridge, 15-20min away.

I can't believe it, but I'm finally on my way to becoming a doctor. Accepted about an hour ago via email!

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats to all accepted today!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 12/09 accepted this afternoon via email. Super fast turnaround

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!! Interviewed on 12/12. Wow that was fast!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm applying this upcoming cycle and was looking for advice from accepted students here. What do you think are my chances at this school with a 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA and a 510+ MCAT (at least that's what I've been scoring in my practice exams!) I'm in-state and an ORM as well. I just want to gage before going into this application cycle if I should take a gap year or not. (Obviously MCAT really does make a difference, but just looking for advice from people who have already gone through this process so far!) Congrats to acceptees by the way!

I'm applying this upcoming cycle and was looking for advice from accepted students here. What do you think are my chances at this school with a 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA and a 510+ MCAT (at least that's what I've been scoring in my practice exams!) I'm in-state and an ORM as well. I just want to gage before going into this application cycle if I should take a gap year or not. (Obviously MCAT really does make a difference, but just looking for advice from people who have already gone through this process so far!) Congrats to acceptees by the way!

Why do you think you'd need a gap year? Your GPAs and MCAT are above their averages if you do end up scoring that well. As long as the rest of your app is solid you'll have a good shot imo.

I have another "too late?" question for everyone since I've heard wonderful things about CCOM. I have a 512 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, but I'm OOS. Should I bother applying this late in the cycle? Thanks everyone!

you are competitive for this school. good luck!

I have another "too late?" question for everyone since I've heard wonderful things about CCOM. I have a 512 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, but I'm OOS. Should I bother applying this late in the cycle? Thanks everyone!
If you have the money, it is worth a shot. Worst case scenario you wasted some $ but at least your application will b ready for next cycle.

My application wasn't finalized until December last year. I interviewed in January and was accepted about two weeks later. Obviously you're competing for fewer open spots, but there are still open spots.