Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Officially waitlisted today, letter arrived back at home, so staying hopeful! :nailbiting:

Does anyone know where most students live?? Currently apartment hunting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking about the scary tuition here and I remembered something from interview day about working in the OMM lab or anatomy lab and not having to pay two years tuition. Is that a thing or am I remembering wrong?

I'm thinking about the scary tuition here and I remembered something from interview day about working in the OMM lab or anatomy lab and not having to pay two years tuition. Is that a thing or am I remembering wrong?
If you are selected to be an OMM fellow, then you will have a fifth year of schooling but years 3-5 are paid for.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know where most students live?? Currently apartment hunting.
Versailles, Yorktown, brook hill, city view are the main apartment complexes. They're a bit pricey, but if you look about 10-15 min out of Downers, the price drops a fair bit.

Has anyone still heard absolutely nothing from this school? I'm not all that familiar with this schools "personality", but they do silent rejections right? At this point I have to assume that's what's happening.

Has anyone still heard absolutely nothing from this school? I'm not all that familiar with this schools "personality", but they do silent rejections right? At this point I have to assume that's what's happening.

I believe if you're rejected you will no longer have access to the portal and will receive a rejection letter in the mail. If you still have access you may still be in the running, not sure if they are still interviewing though.

hey guys so i was reading over one of the emails and it says that before classes start, they have to "verify that you have submitted official final transcripts from each of the schools you have attended, have satisfied all prerequisite coursework with a grade of "C" or better..."
Sorry to be annoying but does the phrase "all prerequisite coursework" mean all classes or just the pre reqs for CCOM as in the usual premed classes (gen chem, bio, orgo, etc...)?

EDIT: nvm on the website, they clearly define the pre reqs as the pre med courses!

Last edited:
Received an email of acceptance to CCOM today!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I believe if you're rejected you will no longer have access to the portal and will receive a rejection letter in the mail. If you still have access you may still be in the running, not sure if they are still interviewing though.

Don't think it's a rejection until you receive the rejection letter in the mail. I know someone who interviewed July just a few weeks before the first day of school!

Don't think it's a rejection until you receive the rejection letter in the mail. I know someone who interviewed July just a few weeks before the first day of school!
Wow! Well thanks for the info. I emailed admissions and they gave me a generic but reassuring "your application is still under review". Here's to hoping I'll be starting classes with you all!

Just got an II!!!! available dates were 5/5, 5/8, and 5/12 I think. Complete in August. GPA 3.4 MCAT 509

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II too! Available dates are 5/9 and.... that's it! I guess I'm choosing 5/9!

Edit for posterity: Wasn't complete until November. 3.4 GPA with a slight downward trend, 34 (2011) and 513 (2015) MCATs

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats guys! I know you both have been waiting awhile.

Congrats guys! I know you both have been waiting awhile.
Thanks! Now I just need to get in :)

Does anyone know how many interviews they generally do? I don't want to get my hopes up too much if post-interview rejections are very common here.

Does anyone know how many interviews they generally do? I don't want to get my hopes up too much if post-interview rejections are very common here.

Roughly 600 interviews, accept ~400, class size ~200.

At this point that doesn't matter. You are interviewing for an unknown number of open seats. They would not have added 3 interview dates if they weren't looking to give out acceptance offers.

Reactions: 2 users
How selective is this program?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
3 from each class now. Before it was either 2 or 3. Very selective. You gotta show them you're passionate about OMM. Interview process. Usually only people who are serious about OMM want to do it (I mean it is an extra year of OMM so you kinda have to be).

Reactions: 1 users

3 people selected this year but I'm pretty sure not many more than 3 even applied in the first place. Also it isn't merit-based - like someone else mentioned it's more based on showing a passion for OMM. There are a lot of opportunities beyond OMM lab to practice your skills (volunteering at an affiliated OMM clinic), meet people in the OMM dptmt, etc to show that passion before 2nd year. The people that were really active with OMM outside of school were the ones that got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, does anyone know where I could find CCOM's match lists for the past few years? Couldnt find it on the website

Just curious, does anyone know where I could find CCOM's match lists for the past few years? Couldnt find it on the website

They don't post them. They gave us class of 2016's list at the interview and you can find this year's list in the match list 2017 thread on the DO med student forum. Otherwise maybe post in the fb group and ask if a current student has access to them and can share with you?

3 people selected this year but I'm pretty sure not many more than 3 even applied in the first place. Also it isn't merit-based - like someone else mentioned it's more based on showing a passion for OMM. There are a lot of opportunities beyond OMM lab to practice your skills (volunteering at an affiliated OMM clinic), meet people in the OMM dptmt, etc to show that passion before 2nd year. The people that were really active with OMM outside of school were the ones that got it. But "selective" isn't really the word I'd use because I think half the people that applied were accepted.

A handful of people serious about it applied. Definitely more than 3.
It changes what they are looking for every year. You not only have to be passionate about OMT, you also have to show you're a good student, but most of all, you have to be the right fit for the department and mesh well with the other fellows and doctors. So even if you are the best at OMT, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will get it because you may not be the proper fit that year for the dynamics of the department. Hence the application and interview process.
My advice is, don't let this be the determining factor that you choose a school because it may not be right for you, nor is it guaranteed that you will get it because you have an A+ in OMM and do X, Y, and Z inside or outside of school.

How is parking on campus for interview day? Parking info was strangely absent from the visitors guide, which hopefully means it's not an issue. Do I need to show up an hour early ready to wrestle for a space?

How is parking on campus for interview day? Parking info was strangely absent from the visitors guide, which hopefully means it's not an issue. Do I need to show up an hour early ready to wrestle for a space?
Once you turn into campus you'll stop at the security station and they will guide you to the parking garage. You won't have an issue finding a spot!

Looking to apply here this coming cycle, but wondering for those who are matriculating - does the tuition and COL scare you? How are you guys getting around this? 2017-2018 tuition was released and its 68.5k a year

Looking to apply here this coming cycle, but wondering for those who are matriculating - does the tuition and COL scare you? How are you guys getting around this? 2017-2018 tuition was released and its 68.5k a year

Might be matriculating here and still wondering the same exact thing tbh

Honestly, you shouldn't let tuition deter you from a school you want to go to. You're investing in yourself, so why skimp out?
At the end of the day, you'll be a physician and you'll pay off your loans.

This is definitely on the higher end of the scale for tuition, but that being said it's one of the best DO schools, and physicians rarely have trouble paying back their loans especially since there are so many methods to reduce the amount you'll have to pay once you graduate. You should certainly consider tuition if you're choosing between multiple acceptances, but don't really worry about tuition when you're just in the application stage.

Interviewed here on the 9th. This seems like an amazing school! The tuition is high, but it seems that you get what you pay for. Keeping my fingers crossed for an acceptance.

Interestingly, it seems like most people on here heard back within a few days of their interview, but the admissions counselor was clear that the committee only meets once a month. Maybe they just time their interviews very well? Anyway it looks like there is another interview date on the 12th, so I guess I shouldn't expect to hear back until then. Hopefully I'll see some of you in August!

Interviewed here on the 9th. This seems like an amazing school! The tuition is high, but it seems that you get what you pay for. Keeping my fingers crossed for an acceptance.

Interestingly, it seems like most people on here heard back within a few days of their interview, but the admissions counselor was clear that the committee only meets once a month. Maybe they just time their interviews very well? Anyway it looks like there is another interview date on the 12th, so I guess I shouldn't expect to hear back until then. Hopefully I'll see some of you in August!

I interviewed on the 5th and have already checked my portal 100 times lol I hope we hear back soon! Good luck!!

If I remember correctly the committee releases decisions usually on the last Tuesday or Wednesday of the month which is why it looks like some people heard back a few days after their interview. This month might be different though since I guess they're wrapping up the last interviews soon. So it seems normal that you guys haven't heard back yet. If it's like the other months, you'll probably have to wait a few more weeks.

JUST GOT ACCEPTED!! Now THAT's a quick turnaround!

Reactions: 7 users
JUST GOT ACCEPTED!! Now THAT's a quick turnaround!

Congrats on the acceptance! I interviewed on the 5th and haven't heard back yet. The waiting game continues..

I got my acceptance last night too!!!! I am so excited to meet you all!!

Reactions: 4 users
Would anyone mind sharing stats if you were accepted this week?
Wasn't complete until November due to being early decision at an allo school. 3.4 GPA with a slight downward trend, 34Q (2011) and 513 (2015) MCATs. Non-trad from a few states over.

Wasn't complete until November due to being early decision at an allo school. 3.4 GPA with a slight downward trend, 34Q (2011) and 513 (2015) MCATs. Non-trad from a few states over.
thanks for your feedback!