Midwestern University Glendale or University of Arizona Phoenix? [2021]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knguyen1349

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! This is my 1st ever thread and post here at the SDN.

I have just been accepted to both Midwestern University - Glendale and University of Arizona - Phoenix for their PharmD program this year. I have heard a lot of contrasting differences between them like the 1 year less of schooling in MWU than UA, MWU's higher tuition price, as well as how MWU is a teaching school (especially for students going to retail) while UA is more of a research school.

At the moment, I'm still unsure which school I would go to. Does anyone know which school could help me succeed?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend lower tuition. I have personal knowledge of Midwestern and the extra year would not be worth it in this economy. U of A being a research school is irrelevant to the undergraduates. You should know that even AZ is not an easy place to find a job.

If you have not worked in pharmacy before, I recommend you do so at a chain or a hospital before you go forward. It is eye-opening to what sort of practice you are going to have post-COVID. My good friends to a person in chain pharmacy would not recommend it to anyone in AZ due to the stupidity of some of the people.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend lower tuition. I have personal knowledge of Midwestern and the extra year would not be worth it in this economy. U of A being a research school is irrelevant to the undergraduates. You should know that even AZ is not an easy place to find a job.

If you have not worked in pharmacy before, I recommend you do so at a chain or a hospital before you go forward. It is eye-opening to what sort of practice you are going to have post-COVID. My good friends to a person in chain pharmacy would not recommend it to anyone in AZ due to the stupidity of some of the people.
I understand what you mean (ex. lower tuition). That was what had me leaning to UA initially.

Also, I have worked in the pharmacy field before when I did 3 years (and counting) at retail in a grocery store near where I live. I have gained lots of experience on the setting as well as some crazy situations with some patients and even the pandemic like you mentioned.

Last time I saw, both schools are pretty close when it comes to NAPLEX ratings so far at around 86% since 2 years ago. That's why I wanted to know which school could help me the most in gaining more knowledge of the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand what you mean (ex. lower tuition). That was what had me leaning to UA initially.

Also, I have worked in the pharmacy field before when I did 3 years (and counting) at retail in a grocery store near where I live. I have gained lots of experience on the setting as well as some crazy situations with some patients and even the pandemic like you mentioned.

Last time I saw, both schools are pretty close when it comes to NAPLEX ratings so far at around 86% since 2 years ago. That's why I wanted to know which school could help me the most in gaining more knowledge of the field.
If it's Fry's, Safeway/Albertsons, or Bashas, you're good there. Even better if in a bad neighborhood or Greyhawk, FH, or PV. Unless you cheat your way through school, you should pass.

You will learn more interning than in class. Your job is to keep grades high enough for residency consideration even if you opt out, join AzSHP to make connections, and choose a couple of secret sites. Larry Mayhew's (may he rest in peace) Professional CSP and The Apothecary Shop (Avella) that Lindell manages are two sites run by disciplined, outstanding people.

I am still working with Walmart to gain more pharmacy experiences. Dunno if that’s up to your standards and all.

Moving to pharmacy school specific forum as you may get extra traffic from additional users familiar with one or both programs (as well as the ability for yourself to see any postings from said schools).

Nothing new I can add except echo the sentiment that if this is the career path you choose you’d be served best to attend the program with the cheapest overall cost.

I graduated from Midwestern - Glendale Campus. It's nice being done with the program in 3 years, but they absolutely roll you over with their ridiculous tuition cost. Add that to the decreasing rate of pay of pharmacists.....it just seems like a lose-lose situation. It's absolutely crazy. The pharmacy profession in general is definitely going down hill. I have a buddy working as a pharmacist for a local retailer that just stated they are hiring new grads for 39/hr......how the heck are you supposed to pay off your tuition at that ridiculous pay rate? You can thank all the wonderful pharmacy schools for pumping out all of these new grads and not caring about the supply/demand of the local job market. Good luck to you. You will definitely need it.