Midwestern University in Glendale, AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revolver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody here have any experience in dealing with this school? This is my first choice to attend, because I want to move back to Phoenix so badly. According to their website, they receive 1500+ applications a year and only take 120. Wow... for a sub ranked school is it really this hard to gain admission?

My next choices are University of Arizona (nearly impossible) University of Texas (almost as hard), then any other pharmacy school in a big city. If I can't go to pharmacy school in a big city then I'm going to change majors, because ideally, I don't want to spend four years of my life in bum****, nowhere. :)

If you guys have any personal info on big city schools and difficulty of admission please help me out. Aside from my first three choices, I'll go to any school in any major city. What school is the best for me?

PS: The website where pharmacists rank the school is apparently not working.

Members don't see this ad.

Revolver said:
Does anybody here have any experience in dealing with this school? This is my first choice to attend, because I want to move back to Phoenix so badly. According to their website, they receive 1500+ applications a year and only take 120. Wow... for a sub ranked school is it really this hard to gain admission?

My next choices are University of Arizona (nearly impossible) University of Texas (almost as hard), then any other pharmacy school in a big city. If I can't go to pharmacy school in a big city then I'm going to change majors, because ideally, I don't want to spend four years of my life in bum****, nowhere. :)

If you guys have any personal info on big city schools and difficulty of admission please help me out. Aside from my first three choices, I'll go to any school in any major city. What school is the best for me?

What state are you from? My biggest mistake was applying to out of state schools. It seems that they have a STRONG preference for in state students...

If I were you and you want to apply to an out of state school....apply to private schools (def. more costly) but the chances you will at least get an interview are much higher. Once you are at the interview..the ball can be in your court if you make it...

I applied to a TON of schools and a LOT Of out of state schools but they did not even want to interview.

You might have a higher chance at an out of state school if yer stats are steller...I am not too sure about that...

Members don't see this ad :)
Revolver said:

Hey!

I just got into CPG off of the waitlist. I am really excited but dont know a whole lot about Phoenix or AZ, for that matter. Why do you like Phoenix so much?

As far as getting in....I am not sure what they look for the most...

I have had a lot of experience volunteering and shadowing docs and pharmacist. I also work at a retail pharmacy but currently I dont plan on continuing with retail. Would rather work abroad or in a clinical setting..

I think that Glendale interviews a LOT of people. The week that I was there they interviewed at least 120 people for only 30 spots. They accept 120 people and 120 people are waitlisted as well from what I hear..

Gluck to you. If you have any q's..feel free to PM me.

I have a question as far as admission in general. This may have been answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

If you are offered interviews in out of state schools, do you guys take time off from work, pay the flight, hotel, etc just to go to these? This may seem like an obvious answer, but on the slim chances that you get in, it can be quite costly to do this.

Revolver said:
I have a question as far as admission in general. This may have been answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

If you are offered interviews in out of state schools, do you guys take time off from work, pay the flight, hotel, etc just to go to these? This may seem like an obvious answer, but on the slim chances that you get in, it can be quite costly to do this.

Yup! And it def is costly! When I went to AZ..I had to buy my tix. (300), rent a car, and get a hotel.

I interviewed at another out of state school but luckily I had family friends who I stayed with and took care of my ride. But the tix was also roughly 300.

It adds up..plus Pharmcas fees, and individual application fees...it REALLY adds UP! But it was worth it.. at every interview I got either waitlisted or in.

Again..i stress..the interview is really in your favor if you make it..

Revolver said:

To clarify...neither of the Midwestern's participate in the rankings so you obviously won't find them on the list...

I would apply asap. I had a 3.2 sci gpa and 98 pcat. Also, had tons of experience.

FutureRX said:
What state are you from? My biggest mistake was applying to out of state schools. It seems that they have a STRONG preference for in state students...

This is true for schools that receive state funding, but not private schools.

Over half our class is probably from out of state... numerous students from the midwest, and quite a handful from Utah alone.

They are rolling admissions? aww bummer... I won't take my PCATs till OCT

If i send my pharmcas app now, is that late in the admin cycle since they having rolling admission? I know that they don't start to interview until november so does that mean, i'm pretty early in the game?

If i send my pharmcas app now, is that late in the admin cycle since they having rolling admission? I know that they don't start to interview until november so does that mean, i'm pretty early in the game?

The first interviews are Oct 23rd, and the last are April 6, 2007. You still have time to get you app in, but the earlier the better.

good luck :luck:

My next choices are University of Arizona (nearly impossible) University of Texas (almost as hard),

I would upgrade the University of Texas to nearly impossible as well....especially if you're from out of state. I was from TX, but still didn't bother to apply, since my undergrad school had a 0-6 deal with them, and if I were to apply outside of that program, it was nearly impossible to get in, even though I was a tx resident.

If i were to apply to one school in arizona, would midwestern be a better bet for me? I'm in CA and midwestern doesn't have a pref, is that correct? Is UA that much harder to get into than midwestern since it's ranked very high?

If i were to apply to one school in arizona, would midwestern be a better bet for me? I'm in CA and midwestern doesn't have a pref, is that correct? Is UA that much harder to get into than midwestern since it's ranked very high?

Let's put it this way. I am an in state student. I am applying to midwestern and not UA due to difficulty.

MWU-CPG interviews till mid-April. I think through the 15th. I had mine on the 11th and a friend had his on the 12th or 13th. Good luck everyone.