Midwestern University Master of Arts Biomedical Sciences 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImplantKing

Doctor of Medical Dentistry - MWU
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
This thread is for students recently accepted into the MABS Program at Midwestern, Glendale Campus.
If you have information, needing roommate, etc. please feel free to post on this thread. Best of luck to everyone in the near future

Members don't see this ad.

Does this program incorporate a MCAT prep course into the coursework?

I am so so so sorry for you entering the MA Biomed course, such a waste of time and money. Please be sure to ask the statistics on how many students graduated from the program this year and were accepted into professional schools. The numbers are shocking and embarrassing for the entire department.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so so so sorry for you entering the MA Biomed course, such a waste of time and money. Please be sure to ask the statistics on how many students graduated from the program this year and were accepted into professional schools. The numbers are shocking and embarrassing for the entire department.

what are the stats?

bump. Interested to know more about the success rate of the program.

First post here... Just finished my interview for the MA program in Glendale, AZ. I applied a little late but glad to still have gotten an interview. Curious to see if anyone is in the same boat.

First post here... Just finished my interview for the MA program in Glendale, AZ. I applied a little late but glad to still have gotten an interview. Curious to see if anyone is in the same boat.
Um would it be super late to apply next week? I didn't expect to want to enroll in a MA program so I didn't pay attention to the date.

Um would it be super late to apply next week? I didn't expect to want to enroll in a MA program so I didn't pay attention to the date.

My friend literally applied on the very last day, last year (July 15th) and was still able to get in. It wouldn't hurt to apply now...but would advise getting your application in ASAP. Just got my acceptance today!

My friend literally applied on the very last day, last year (July 15th) and was still able to get in. It wouldn't hurt to apply now...but would advise getting your application in ASAP. Just got my acceptance today![/QUOTE

Congrats! Did get the acceptance through mail or phone?

I received an email. I believe they would also send an official letter of acceptance in the mail. Best of luck to you!

What was the interview like?

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to receive the interview invite? Seems like my application has been complete for over a month and have yet to hear anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, how long did it take to receive the interview invite? Seems like my application has been complete for over a month and have yet to hear anything.

It took about a month for me to receive an interview.

Hey everyone!
Congrats to those who have been accepted.
I'm on the alternate list, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the chances are of me getting a spot.

Does anyone know if someone is going to give up their spot for another program?

Any info will help !! Hope I can join everyone on orientation!

Hey everyone!
Congrats to those who have been accepted.
I'm on the alternate list, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the chances are of me getting a spot.

Does anyone know if someone is going to give up their spot for another program?

Any info will help !! Hope I can join everyone on orientation!
I just gave up my spot recently because I got accepted into dental school. Good luck!

Just wanted to clear this up for anyone considering this program: Midwestern was clear about the stat requirements for interview/acceptance agreements. Sure, there were plenty of students who dropped the program or didn't get accepted. That being said, performance in this program is a pretty good indicator for future performance in dental/medical school. It's not for everyone, but there are plenty of us who are finding that the program was invaluable for our transition to our current programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to clear this up for anyone considering this program: Midwestern was clear about the stat requirements for interview/acceptance agreements. Sure, there were plenty of students who dropped the program or didn't get accepted. That being said, performance in this program is a pretty good indicator for future performance in dental/medical school. It's not for everyone, but there are plenty of us who are finding that the program was invaluable for our transition to our current programs.

Do you know how many people were accepted from the waitlist? I got waitlisted for the IL program. I should also apply for AZ

Do you know how many people were accepted from the waitlist? I got waitlisted for the IL program. I should also apply for AZ
I'm dental student who got accepted off the waitlist in AZ. To my knowledge, everyone who was given an interview was eventually accepted including a few who trickled in over the summer. I'm not sure about IL though.

this program is a scam. They only accept 10% of their students into med/dental school. A 4.0 GPA in this program isn't enough to get you into the medical school for most of you. Sure, a few will trickle into the med school, but most of you will not no matter how well you do. I recommend that you think carefully about attending this program. There are other programs around the country with much better linkage to their respective medical schools than the one at midwestern. I just don't want some of you to work your asses off and shell out 50 grand to get disappointed by AZCOM/CCOM.

this program is a scam. They only accept 10% of their students into med/dental school. A 4.0 GPA in this program isn't enough to get you into the medical school for most of you. Sure, a few will trickle into the med school, but most of you will not no matter how well you do. I recommend that you think carefully about attending this program. There are other programs around the country with much better linkage to their respective medical schools than the one at midwestern. I just don't want some of you to work your asses off and shell out 50 grand to get disappointed by AZCOM/CCOM.
As a 2016 grad of the MA program in Glendale and current AZCOM student, I can guarantee this is false. We have at least 30 students in my class who came from the masters program. Midwestern honors their interview agreements, so anyone who had the gpa and didn't get an interview didn't have the required standardized test score. There is no acceptance agreement- it is acceptance assuming you also have a good interview. However, nearly everyone who interviewed from the program was eventually accepted. It sucks that some students feel as though their money/time was wasted, but that isn't indicative of the program as a whole. I'm sure the stats for dental school acceptance were low this year, but that's based off of students who didn't meet the minimum requirements for the interview. That's not on the program.

Reactions: 1 user

How do you know this? Didn't you go to Rosalind Franklin BMS? What makes you say this? Did you get into Rosalind Franklin or medical school?

I am a current student at Midwestern University in the Biomedical Sciences Program, Glendale AZ.

For a brief description of the program: It is serious...and I mean that with everything in me. Of course, there are the students who do well naturally and are at or near a 4.0 throughout the 9 months. Though, if you are serious about your future as a healthcare provider, you will do fine. Approximately 40, out of the remaining 86/~130, received interviews through the dental school admissions program(And I believe there were ~50 total predentals in Biomeds). It is a different experience for each student, given the time slot and day that you interview. In reality, the entire 9 months is an interview.

It is not a scam, it is not a joke, it is not a lie, etc.

If you are serious about being a healthcare provider; If you are truly passionate towards Osteopathic Medicine, Podiatry, Dental Medicine...you will receive an interview. Do NOT expect to come in to this program and just float along; it is not going to happen, period. After this experience, to be completely honest, I realize more than ever how much I wasn't ready for my first year of dental school.

You do well in this program: Your first year of medical or dental school will be a breeze and you will have time to focus on your lab-work during your first and second year rather than studying so aggressively.

Any questions- feel free to ask. I was skeptical before I started, I have been upset during the program and wanted to go back home to my wife and kids, I made mistakes...but the faculty cares, they will help you through anything if they see your willing to work hard. Simple

Reactions: 4 users
I am a current student at Midwestern University in the Biomedical Sciences Program, Glendale AZ.

For a brief description of the program: It is serious...and I mean that with everything in me. Of course, there are the students who do well naturally and are at or near a 4.0 throughout the 9 months. Though, if you are serious about your future as a healthcare provider, you will do fine. Approximately 40, out of the remaining 86/~130, received interviews through the dental school admissions program(And I believe there were ~50 total predentals in Biomeds). It is a different experience for each student, given the time slot and day that you interview. In reality, the entire 9 months is an interview.

It is not a scam, it is not a joke, it is not a lie, etc.

If you are serious about being a healthcare provider; If you are truly passionate towards Osteopathic Medicine, Podiatry, Dental Medicine...you will receive an interview. Do NOT expect to come in to this program and just float along; it is not going to happen, period. After this experience, to be completely honest, I realize more than ever how much I wasn't ready for my first year of dental school.

You do well in this program: Your first year of medical or dental school will be a breeze and you will have time to focus on your lab-work during your first and second year rather than studying so aggressively.

Any questions- feel free to ask. I was skeptical before I started, I have been upset during the program and wanted to go back home to my wife and kids, I made mistakes...but the faculty cares, they will help you through anything if they see your willing to work hard. Simple

What are the stats of students who get into this program? I am also a predent and have recently applied.

What are the stats of students who get into this program? I am also a predent and have recently applied.

The stats? Not sure on the DO program. I would say there were about equal number of DO and DMD applicants @ ~40(Given our MA class started with around 120-125 and we are down to 84 last I heard). Of the 40 that have applied to the DMD program, I know several were rejected rather quickly and 32 of us have been accepted so far.

So: 40 apply/38 interview
of the 38 interviewees/32 accepted...not to mention most of the missing 6 were probably excused from the program for one reason or another, because may I remind anyone curious...this program is a straight nightmare, but you will look back and say, "I sure as hell was not ready for my first year of med/dent school!"

Hey everyone,
I was accepted last week but just withdrew my application. Hope it goes to one of you. Good luck to all!

For those reading this forum, I would take what GunnerBMS says with a grain of salt. I'm a current student in the program right now and I agree with JustDoit. The previous students that got into their desired professional school via the Articulation Agreement (guaranteed seat with minimum grad GPA/DAT) said that those that had high GPAs in the class didn't get in either because they didn't do well in the interview or because their MCAT/DAT scores were less than the minimum requirement. You might have been accepted with less than minimal scores through our past dean but our current dean is stricter with these requirements. Like.. our previous dean would still give interview invites to some who had less than a 3.0 and they still got an acceptance. But our current dean is very strict on these conditions. Those that get below a 3.0 get an automatic rejection letter (or so I've heard from a previous year).

And I don't know if they said this for the previous year but this year they explicitly stated that the guaranteed seat isn't really a "guaranteed" seat. You still have to do well in your interview and not show any red flags to get that acceptance letter.

For pre-dentals specifically: It's true that the previous year had a low amount of acceptances for students in the masters program. But that's because our dean is new and this is his second year as our dean. The previous year students said that the dean didn't really know what was a good amount to accept but he knows now after going through it the first time. And if you don't get an acceptance letter but still meet the requirements, you have the next year as your grace period as well. So you'll be given an interview invite if you don't get in the first year.

I just spoke to a counselor and I was told that even after the program, my sGPA will still include my undergrad classes. My undergrad sGPA is 2.75. Which means I may still not get a 3.0 sGPA even if I get a 4.0 in the program. Is this true?

I just spoke to a counselor and I was told that even after the program, my sGPA will still include my undergrad classes. My undergrad sGPA is 2.75. Which means I may still not get a 3.0 sGPA even if I get a 4.0 in the program. Is this true?
I'm pretty sure the schools would be able to see your uGPA and your masters GPA so that way they can see how well you did on your masters.