Midwestern University Pharm D Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kent100s78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question, I see Midwestern univesity does not require a degree to get in? Only 59 credit hours can someone explain to me how many students get in with out a degree? Also I see only a required GPA of 2.5?

If this is the requirements then I am set :thumbup:

Please any info would be apprecited

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe any pharmacy schools actually require a degree (or at least, most don't), but the statistics are something like 95 to 98% of enrolled students actually have a degree. Those with a degree have a much, much better chance of being accepted than those who don't. Also, usually the undergrad. GPA of those accepted is between 3.1 and 3.6 (average, I read on UCSD's site). Unless you have an extremely good reason for having such a low GPA (such as involved in tons of extracurriculars, raising a family on your own, etc.) it's highly unlikely to get accepted with a GPA that low. Just because a school has some minimum requirements doesn't mean if you meet the minimums then you're in :p The competition is pretty fierce and you need to make yourself stand out.

kent100s78 said:
I have a quick question, I see Midwestern univesity does not require a degree to get in? Only 59 credit hours can someone explain to me how many students get in with out a degree? Also I see only a required GPA of 2.5?

If this is the requirements then I am set :thumbup:

Please any info would be apprecited

I'd just about bet my future wages they won't accept anyone with a 2.5, even though that is their listed minimum.

Members don't see this ad :)
the average gpa for this year's entering class was a 3.3 and the science gpa was right around there as well. i know people who got in with sub 3.0 gpa's as well as those with nearly a 4.0's, so there's definitely a wide range that they accept.

SoCalGirl83 said:
the average gpa for this year's entering class was a 3.3 and the science gpa was right around there as well. i know people who got in with sub 3.0 gpa's as well as those with nearly a 4.0's, so there's definitely a wide range that they accept.

Wide range, yes, but 2.5 I still really doubt. My school had roughly the same stats, and from what I know, the lowest GPA was a 2.7. Until this current cycle (which is now a mininum of 2.7), my school also had a "minimum" of 2.5.

Ok I assumed the GPA was low, but I want to really know is it possible to get in with put the degree, why would they say thy accept students with 59 cedits as long as if you have the prereq.'s? How many poeple in genral get in with out a degree in any school?

FutureRxGal said:
Wide range, yes, but 2.5 I still really doubt. My school had roughly the same stats, and from what I know, the lowest GPA was a 2.7. Until this current cycle (which is now a mininum of 2.7), my school also had a "minimum" of 2.5.

I'm going to apply to Midwestern University. I remember you mentioned that it is close to downtown Chicago. How close? Is the campus nice? Chicago is my favorite city :)

Thanks!

kent100s78 said:
Ok I assumed the GPA was low, but I want to really know is it possible to get in with put the degree, why would they say thy accept students with 59 cedits as long as if you have the prereq.'s? How many poeple in genral get in with out a degree in any school?

I'm not sure of exact numbers, but I know that there are people in my class with only the prereqs. They probably had a good gpa and pcat scores (plus some pharmacy experience possibly too).

GATOR Girl said:
I'm going to apply to Midwestern University. I remember you mentioned that it is close to downtown Chicago. How close? Is the campus nice? Chicago is my favorite city :)

Thanks!

Midwestern - Downers Grove (CCP) is in an affluent suburb of Chicago. The campus is small but nice. I enjoyed my campus visit there, but I'm happy to be where I am now. :)

I can't remember how far it was to the city. There's a lot of traffic toward the city, so maybe 30-45 minutes? Maybe someone in the area could give a better estimate.

FutureRxGal said:
Midwestern - Downers Grove (CCP) is in an affluent suburb of Chicago. The campus is small but nice. I enjoyed my campus visit there, but I'm happy to be where I am now. :)

I can't remember how far it was to the city. There's a lot of traffic toward the city, so maybe 30-45 minutes? Maybe someone in the area could give a better estimate.

Thank you! Also, what was the mandatory campus visit like? Do they interview? How does the mandatory visit affect your acceptance?
Thanks!

GATOR Girl said:
Thank you! Also, what was the mandatory campus visit like? Do they interview? How does the mandatory visit affect your acceptance?
Thanks!

hey gator!

are you at UF? I graduated from USF w/bachelors in Biochem in 2002! Go Bulls!

I just start at CCP this quarter! YEAH! I just successfully finished my first quarter yesterday.

MCV is great, informative, and not stressful at all. You have to write a timed essay, 30 minutes on an ethical topic. MCV does effect your acceptance, I think. I'm sure they want to make sure you're on your best behavior, professional, and show up since it's mandatory.

Please PM me if you have additional questions. I live in the city and commute to DG. I didn't want to live in the burbs even though I'd be closer to campus. I really enjoy attending the faculty are excellent, I've learned so much since I've been only a few months ago. I hope this helps!

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to ask this question regarding Midwestern University PharmD Program.
I had interview in September 2016, but my PCAT score were not available to PharmCAS at that time. So I did the interview and I felt I performed on average on the interview unless I did something wrong am not aware of. Anyway, my PCAT composite is 37 and my Critical Reading is 1 PR. My overall GPA is 3.5.
What do you guys think, will they reject me because of the scores since their average is 60PR?
Has someone gotten accepted with these score and GPA since this last September?
I am afraid that I might be rejected!

Thanks to all of you and I wish you all success!

I don't believe any pharmacy schools actually require a degree (or at least, most don't), but the statistics are something like 95 to 98% of enrolled students actually have a degree. Those with a degree have a much, much better chance of being accepted than those who don't. Also, usually the undergrad. GPA of those accepted is between 3.1 and 3.6 (average, I read on UCSD's site). Unless you have an extremely good reason for having such a low GPA (such as involved in tons of extracurriculars, raising a family on your own, etc.) it's highly unlikely to get accepted with a GPA that low. Just because a school has some minimum requirements doesn't mean if you meet the minimums then you're in :p The competition is pretty fierce and you need to make yourself stand out.
I second him ; he is right. I got accepted really early on the second day after my interview at Midwestern Chicago in the first week of October.
But my gpa is 3.86 and pcat 64 with a foreign degree & half classes taken. I have health care experience too hands on plus volunteers.