1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Might be a question for a counselor

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cwrig14, Aug 1, 2011.

1. cwrig14

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a unique situation:
    I skipped my junior and senior year of high school and took all of my courses at a community college and local university and graduated HS with my AA degree. I then traveled across the country and began my undergrad as a freshman in NY. I started my undergrad with little transfer credit because the AA degree was from WA state. However, i was not required to take the mandatory english or calculus courses as it was determined my prior studies sufficed. At the time I was a chemical engineering major and this was not of concern. Oh how things have changed.....
    Since then, I have switched to chem/bio and a premed track. I have also surpassed calculus courses and have completed a math minor.
    Should I take an english course asap? Would a journalism course suffice? Would I have a chance to explain this situation to an admissions committee or be denied outright for not completing the necessary requirements?
    Also, is it safe to assume with my math minor (6 courses more advanced than calculus 1&2) I need not concern myself with the calculus requirements?
    HELP!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Propylene

Propylene Class of 2017
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You're set on math for sure. English I do not know as much about. I am not sure if Journalism would count although requirements do vary by medical schools. But instead of you sifting through like 50 requirements pages, hopefully someone here knows. As you said pre-med advisor at your school might have the best idea here :p

4. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If the credits from your CC were transferred to your university and appear on the university transcript as transfer courses, then you're fine.

Edit: This is not the only way for the credits to count.

#3 paul411, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Your CC transcripts must be submitted to AMCAS and the courses take at CC will appear on your AMCAS application. Therefore, medical schools will see that you took calculus at the CC and you took a year of English at CC. That is sufficient. If I have made a false assumption, please clarify.

Bottom line: it doesn't matter if the school that accepted you as a transfer student accepted the credits. If they are on a transcript from a college or university then they "count".

6. cwrig14

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've heard/read somewhere that CC credits could not be considered. Any truth to this?

7. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration

The MSAR states, "Students intending to apply college credit earned through Advanced Placement (AP) and College Level Examination Placement (CLEP) to meet premedical requirements should be aware that some medical schools have requirements involving the use of such credit. Please review the Web sites and publication of the medical schools in which you are interested for information."

As you see, it is silent on the topic of taking pre-reqs at community college. It is always a safe bet to check with the medical colleges that interest you.

8. cwrig14

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for the help