might be a stupid question...but does this count as research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedoutstud

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing a study in the Microbiology Lab of a very large hospital in the city. They have asked me to do a project for them that they have been asked to do by a pharmaceutical company. The project will consist of testing the susceptability of 70 different specimens against a new Antibiotic using E test methodology. Would this be cosidered clinical research? For completing this project, the lab will receive a fairly large grant. Any help is appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much what I've been doing for the last two years as well.

We have very similar EC's

Im also a Big Bro, ER volunteer, Micro experience....

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had a hard time deciding at first whether or not to put my experiences down as "research". One school I applied and interviewed at listed research as "involvement in a scholarly or scientific hypothesis investigation that is supervised by an individual with verifiable research credentials" on their secondary application. I ended up listing it as research experience. I mean, when you step back and look at it, what are you doing? Your involved in the R/D of a pharmaceutical drug or medical device. On top of that, you are doing bench laboratory work, and it does have a hypothesis (in my case, many of them). I've interviewed five times, and have not been challenged on listing it as research yet. In almost every case I've been asked about it, and I explained exactly what it was. And why would they challenge this?

Out of curiosity, what is the E method? I do a lot of antimicrobial work, but mostly using cylinder/plate, turbidometric, or Kirby-Bauer.

i could be wrong but isn't this research, just not clinical research? i don't think either one is better than the other. i though clinical research was, like, giving people something and tracking how they react to it. and basic science research was all lab bench work.

either way, though, op, i promise you that is definitely research. just maybe not clinical research. (but it doesn't matter in terms of how beneficial to your app it is)

Correct, I did not list mine as clinical research. However, neither AMCAS or any of my secondaries distinguished between clinical and non-clincal research....

I am currently doing a study in the Microbiology Lab of a very large hospital in the city. They have asked me to do a project for them that they have been asked to do by a pharmaceutical company. The project will consist of testing the susceptability of 70 different specimens against a new Antibiotic using E test methodology. Would this be cosidered clinical research? For completing this project, the lab will receive a fairly large grant. Any help is appreciated...

Well, I it's definitely research (I don't know if it's clinical but I also don't think you need to make that distinction) and something you should bring up while applying. The only negative of it is that b/c its being done for a pharm. company, they have final say in whether or not the study gets published - so you may not have that... But research is still very valuable regardless of publication.

Well, I it's definitely research (I don't know if it's clinical but I also don't think you need to make that distinction) and something you should bring up while applying. The only negative of it is that b/c its being done for a pharm. company, they have final say in whether or not the study gets published - so you may not have that... But research is still very valuable regardless of publication.

You brought up a great weakness in working for pharm companies. I've worked as a Study Director for many pharm companies (contract). Although I got to design, write, and supervise/execute the studies, the only publication reward I get is my signature on the data. The Pharm company takes all of the credit, and my employer gets almost all the money...

Thanks for all the replies.

Out of curiosity, what is the E method? I do a lot of antimicrobial work, but mostly using cylinder/plate, turbidometric, or Kirby-Bauer

E-Testing is a fairly new method. The Pharm company sends E test strips, concentrated with different levels of the Antiobiotic groups to be tested. Placing the strips on an Inoculated plate allows you to clearly see the growth of that particular organism. I think it is very interesting, never been to big on research, but definatly enjoy what im currently doing.