NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
You have 10 months to decide when you want to graduate before submitting, you're planning on not making this choice by next summer?

samac

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Just put in when you plan.
But please note that quite a lot of med schools don't accept AP credits. I had to go back and take a couple courses I had AP credit for. If you graduate then you can't get the same financial aid because you have that degree.

OP
R
Jan 10, 2015
You have 10 months to decide when you want to graduate before submitting, you're planning on not making this choice by next summer?
This idea just cropped into my head recently. I am leaning towards graduating 1 sem. early, but want to know if it would affect my chances. Would it be treated in interviews/application review as the same as someone who graduated normally?

Just put in when you plan.
But please note that quite a lot of med schools don't accept AP credits. I had to go back and take a couple courses I had AP credit for. If you graduate then you can't get the same financial aid because you have that degree.
I was thinking to use the extra semester I save to take courses at a CC if schools don't accept AP credits.
What types of financial aid are you referring to? I heard med schools scholarships are rare, and my stats fall in the middle so I don't know whether I would get one to begin with.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
This idea just cropped into my head recently. I am leaning towards graduating 1 sem. early, but want to know if it would affect my chances. Would it be treated in interviews/application review as the same as someone who graduated normally?
It doesn't make any difference to us.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Would there be any consequences if I wrote that I'm graduating normally, but later decide to graduate early? When you receive my transcripts, would this discrepancy be enough to rescind an acceptance?

This is weird to me since I'd be applying this coming summer and would have my application reviewed before I graduate, early or normal. I wonder if the interviews would still be the same types of questions, or if they'd inquire what I'm doing the extra semester.
We would only care about date of graduation if were after the start of medical school.

Reactions: lmn

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Haha, I'll be doing something productive, but maybe not as productive or significant as someone taking a gap year would be doing. Will i be grilled on getting out early and what I plan to do during an interview?

In addition, is your view towards graduating early (don't care just as long as it's before medical school matriculation) generalizable to most MD schools and adcoms?
I doubt they will notice.
It would become important if you became a re-applicant. Suddenly everyone would want to know if you had addressed your deficiencies in the time you had.

I don't know anyone who cares. I've been in academic medicine my entire adult life.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R
Jan 10, 2015
I doubt they will notice.
It would become important if you became a re-applicant. Suddenly everyone would want to know if you had addressed your deficiencies in the time you had.

I don't know anyone who cares. I've been in academic medicine my entire adult life.
One last question, do you think graduating early would limit my scholarship considerations compared to those who graduate regularly?

samac

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student

I was thinking to use the extra semester I save to take courses at a CC if schools don't accept AP credits.
What types of financial aid are you referring to? I heard med schools scholarships are rare, and my stats fall in the middle so I don't know whether I would get one to begin with.
I'm referring to aid while taking those CC courses, not med school.

lmn

Dec 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Nobody will care. Save yourself the money and pick up a job or travel or something.

samac

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
If you mean using scholarships for CC tuition, I'd be able to handle those costs on my own because they're only a fraction of my undergrad's tuition.
If you can handle it that's great! I didn't mean just scholarships though, I meant government aid.