Military After Civilian Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruwan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm strongly thinking about MilitaryMed (AF or Army). I want to serve my adopted country, provide for the men and women (and families) in the Armed Services, and take advantages of some of the opportunites that MilMed offers.

Currently, I'm not a US Citizen, but will be eligible to apply for that in 4 years. Assuming I apply then, and get my citizenship a year or two after that, I should become a US citizen sometime in my second or third year of residency.

What do you think of going to OCS after residency? Smart move, or stupid? Will the military pay back or take care of yours loans from med school? Advantages/disadvantages to this idea?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Do a search on FAP. Not sure what the citizenship issues are. I know of many members who were not citizens. However they were all Phillipino so I guess there some agreement with the Phillipians. Your questions on military after residency is under any threads on FAP.

Re citizenship - all of the people in the military (mostly army) who were not US citizens that I have met were all enlisted.

To the best of my knowledge, to be an officer (all physicians are) you must be a US citizen - native-born or naturalized.

If, when you reach that status, you still desire to serve (and my hat's off to you, sir) - the military will bend over backwards to have you.

As Crooz mentioned, the military acronym for the program to recruit physicians already residency-trained is called FAP, and I believe there are options for student loan repayment included.