All Branch Topic (ABT) Military and the FAWM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there is anyone out there who has completed a fellowship in wilderness medicine while in the military? If so:

1) How much of the fellowship were you able to complete through military short courses?

2) Did the military fund any of the coursework?

3) How much of your own money did you need to invest in the fellowship?

4) How long did it take you to officially complete the fellowship?

5) Did it open up any opportunities for you in the military?

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The military courses give you 1 credit each with a max of 3, so don't expect it to take a huge chunk out of the requirements for you. I don't know the answers to the rest.

Is there is anyone out there who has completed a fellowship in wilderness medicine while in the military? If so:

1) How much of the fellowship were you able to complete through military short courses?

2) Did the military fund any of the coursework?

3) How much of your own money did you need to invest in the fellowship?

4) How long did it take you to officially complete the fellowship?

5) Did it open up any opportunities for you in the military?

Just curious.

I personally didn't but ay my fm residency a few have/currently are pursuing the fawm.

I don't think any used military short courses...but not 100% sure I know what you mean. I'm guessing things like the marine mountain med course.

The people I knew used it as their area of concentration and used some mil funds as cme for their residency requirements.

Not sure on exact cost but they were dropping several hundred out of pocket.

The guys I know got it done before residency ended, so 3 years, but a buddy 3 years with limited free time.

No unique opportunities for any of the guys I know. 2 are residency faculty, 2 got sent to typical cons bases.

Members don't see this ad :)
The military courses give you 1 credit each with a max of 3, so don't expect it to take a huge chunk out of the requirements for you. I don't know the answers to the rest.
So, update/annoyance. I found out that the FAWM will give you a huge number of credits for military short courses (like 30+) , but only if the course director submits it to them in advance of the course. For who knows what reason they will not take any credits retroactively, so if the program didn't submit their curriculum in advance the whole course defaults to one credit.

Reactions: 1 user
So, update/annoyance. I found out that the FAWM will give you a huge number of credits for military short courses (like 30+) , but only if the course director submits it to them in advance of the course. For who knows what reason they will not take any credits retroactively, so if the program didn't submit their curriculum in advance the whole course defaults to one credit.

Military Mountain Medicine course through the Army is pre-approved and gives you a large number of credits. That, AWLS, and a conference or two would probably get you through a large number of credits.

Military Mountain Medicine course through the Army is pre-approved and gives you a large number of credits. That, AWLS, and a conference or two would probably get you through a large number of credits.
Yeah, this is what I found annoying. Army Mountain Medicine is pre-approved because whoever runs it knows about the FAWM and submits the paperwork. Navy Mountain Medicine isn't approved because the GMO in change has never heard of the FAWM. I could get the paperwork together myself, but they won't accept it retroactively. So I get one credit for a Navy course when an identical Army course is worth 35 credits.

Anyway, I posted this as a warning: if anyone is trying to go through the FAWM, and you're going to a military short course, take the time to call ahead and get them to submit the course for FAWM credits.