Military and Vet Student 4th year road block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeartheDogMonky

UTK c/o 2020
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow blast from the past here, can't believe I remembered my login info.

So I'm a 17+ year Army dude currently in the Reserves. I've been able to sacrifice my summers to maintain my 'good years' thus far, but have basically been told by admin and a couple other students that it's impossible to drill during clinics without extending my clinical year due to missed time. The idea of accepting the bad year without a small fight is against my nature so here I am seeking knowledge.

I understand their logic (AVMA and missed time, yadda yadda… yea I got it), but I'm also scratching my head because of USERRA and the protections we have with normal employers when we have orders. Short of fighting the school logic monkeys with a club, I wanted to see if there were any other vet students or current vets that are/were in the Guard/Reserves while in vet school and what you did. We're a creative bunch so I have some hope.

And no, I'm not HPSP so I don't get those special agreements either. Just a dude tryin to be another dude while simultaneously workin to be another dude. Thanks in advance.

~Chief

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

dpmd

Relaxing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow blast from the past here, can't believe I remembered my login info.

So I'm a 17+ year Army dude currently in the Reserves. I've been able to sacrifice my summers to maintain my 'good years' thus far, but have basically been told by admin and a couple other students that it's impossible to drill during clinics without extending my clinical year due to missed time. The idea of accepting the bad year without a small fight is against my nature so here I am seeking knowledge.

I understand their logic (AVMA and missed time, yadda yadda… yea I got it), but I'm also scratching my head because of USERRA and the protections we have with normal employers when we have orders. Short of fighting the school logic monkeys with a club, I wanted to see if there were any other vet students or current vets that are/were in the Guard/Reserves while in vet school and what you did. We're a creative bunch so I have some hope.

And no, I'm not HPSP so I don't get those special agreements either. Just a dude tryin to be another dude while simultaneously workin to be another dude. Thanks in advance.

~Chief
Is there any relation between your MOS and vet school? I was a nurse in the army while in med school so I was able to get put on orders for a couple of weeks of clinical rotations rather than going to AT that year.

FeartheDogMonky

UTK c/o 2020
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any relation between your MOS and vet school? I was a nurse in the army while in med school so I was able to get put on orders for a couple of weeks of clinical rotations rather than going to AT that year.
Unfortunately no. My MOS is completely unrelated and they said they're unable (or unwilling to deal with the paperwork perhaps) to slot me in a local vet slot until I've graduated. Sort of makes sense, but I've also seen backdoor deals made to allow mismatch slotting. The active unit I belong to is in Germany, so I'm kind of stuck in that regard, too. Were you on orders actively serving in your clinical rotation role at school?

Members don't see this ad :)

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you miss clinical rotations, you have to make them up you can't just skip out on them. So, yes, they're correct that if drill will prevent you from attending certain clinical rotations, your fourth year will be extended. It'll take you longer to complete it.

dpmd

Relaxing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. My MOS is completely unrelated and they said they're unable (or unwilling to deal with the paperwork perhaps) to slot me in a local vet slot until I've graduated. Sort of makes sense, but I've also seen backdoor deals made to allow mismatch slotting. The active unit I belong to is in Germany, so I'm kind of stuck in that regard, too. Were you on orders actively serving in your clinical rotation role at school?
Yeah, it was awesome. Just did my normal day in normal clothes, turned in my paperwork and bam two weeks of active duty pay.

dpmd

Relaxing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Though it wasn't that much later that I got deployed for 15 months so while they were cool about working with me that didn't extend to getting me out of deployment orders since mine was a needed MOS. My school worked with me and I graduated only a year late so that was helpful. Your school will probably work with you too just as mentioned above it will delay graduation (and then tuition issues may come up)

FeartheDogMonky

UTK c/o 2020
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Though it wasn't that much later that I got deployed for 15 months so while they were cool about working with me that didn't extend to getting me out of deployment orders since mine was a needed MOS. My school worked with me and I graduated only a year late so that was helpful. Your school will probably work with you too just as mentioned above it will delay graduation (and then tuition issues may come up)
Interesting. I hadn't really considered that since I figured the idea would be scoffed at, but I'll have to see what I can work.

Just to note, yes it makes sense that if I miss clinical time that I'd have to make it up. It just made me laugh since federal law (USERRA) prohibits employers from any punitive action due to or preventing us from performing our drills/annual training. Just looking for lessons learned on how current/former students got around the logistics and limitations to assess COAs.

Yeah, deployments have been mentioned but luckily our tours with my unit are short IF I got called. That extra tuition would suck something fierce though.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I hadn't really considered that since I figured the idea would be scoffed at, but I'll have to see what I can work.

Just to note, yes it makes sense that if I miss clinical time that I'd have to make it up. It just made me laugh since federal law (USERRA) prohibits employers from any punitive action due to or preventing us from performing our drills/annual training. Just looking for lessons learned on how current/former students got around the logistics and limitations to assess COAs.

Yeah, deployments have been mentioned but luckily our tours with my unit are short IF I got called. That extra tuition would suck something fierce though.

Where I was at there was a guy who dropped down into my class because he was deployed. School worked with him just fine.

Employment and school are different things, I don't think the school can expel you or revoke your attendance because of military obligations but remember laws that apply to employment don't apply to education. ..you aren't an employee, you're a student.

From what I've heard most schools are willing to work with you for military stuff but there just is no way around delaying graduation ..... it just isn't possible.

I'm not sure about the tuition thing, they might even be willing to work that out so you aren't getting double charged on tuition for military obligations, but again, you'd have to discuss it with the school.

dpmd

Relaxing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Making up the rotation isn't punitive though. Neither would charging tuition for the extended time, but it would be not nice. Hopefully they would let you make it up for no extra charge.

Reactions: 1 user

Teepster87

Friendly Neighborhood Federal Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much say do you have in your clinics and drill schedule? I would see if you'd be able to drill during a vacation block, or if you could take it as an externship or something. That's probably less likely if your job is unrelated though.

When we were scheduling clinics here, we got to select 2 blocks (3 week rotations each) that the admin were not allowed to schedule us into any. They were defaultly made into vacations, but I know people that used those safe blocks for externships that only happened during certain times of the year. If your school has this same type thing, that might be a workable solution