Military Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zreagle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!

Entering medical student intersted in Military medicine and anesthesiology. I am wondering if any of you have completed or are currently in an Army, Navy or AF anesthesia residency.

How competitive is military gas? If I went in as HPSP what are my odds of getting gas? Which would be the advantages (if any) to Army v. AF? I have kind of ruled out Navy because I do not want to spend time doing the GMO tour.
Is Military gas a good education?

thanks for any info!
-Zach

Members don't see this ad.

zreagle said:
Greetings all!

Entering medical student intersted in Military medicine and anesthesiology. I am wondering if any of you have completed or are currently in an Army, Navy or AF anesthesia residency.

How competitive is military gas? If I went in as HPSP what are my odds of getting gas? Which would be the advantages (if any) to Army v. AF? I have kind of ruled out Navy because I do not want to spend time doing the GMO tour.
Is Military gas a good education?

thanks for any info!
-Zach

I really have no idea how competitive it is to get a gas residency in the Army. However, my father, an anesthesiologist and Army Col (RET) taught many gas residents at Brooke Army Med Center (San Antonio). One resounding theme was that the military residents always out-paced their civilian counterparts during oral boards. I will attend U Tex San Antonio in 2005 (currently deferred) and I will hopefully land an Army HPSP scholarship.

Any ?'s PM me.