Military before dental, any benefit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMaurer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Anxiously awaiting and hoping for an interview somewhere, and just curious does anyone know if being in the military is beneficial or looks good for an application, or do you think schools just look this part over?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! Anxiously awaiting and hoping for an interview somewhere, and just curious does anyone know if being in the military is beneficial or looks good for an application, or do you think schools just look this part over?
So far being a current active duty service member hasn't helped me. I haven't gotten an interview anywhere. sGPA: 2.98 oGPA: 3.35 with strong upward trend. AA and TS 19. I'm deploying this weekend overseas, so unless they will let me interview by skype it doesn't look like I'm going to be accepted this cycle, or possibly ever.

Have you thought about peace corps possibly? It's a two year commitment and I think it might look better than the military.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's highly beneficial and I doubt schools would gloss over any military experience. That alone, however, will not get someone an interview.
Prior active--two interviews thus far; 3.60 oGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 21 AA

The military experience is definitely beneficial. I heard from Dental HQ commander that many of faculties and professors are prior service military members. Of cause military service cannot overcome low GPA and DAT scores, but I guess there are higher chances to make yourself more memorable by sharing the common military experience with the prior service faculties. Also military experience is a great example for showing your leadership!

Don't military members get their state education payed for? Including grad school?

Forgot what its called....

Yep! so thats a benefit all on its own.
And people on the HPSP can use it to fund a civilian residency when they get out. Here’s a shameless endorsement, but for your 4 year payback you could have potentially 7 years of school paid for — 4 for D school and 3 for residency. It’s a sweet deal.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
So far being a current active duty service member hasn't helped me. I haven't gotten an interview anywhere. sGPA: 2.98 oGPA: 3.35 with strong upward trend. AA and TS 19. I'm deploying this weekend overseas, so unless they will let me interview by skype it doesn't look like I'm going to be accepted this cycle, or possibly ever.
Not true! The year I applied I didn't have my first interview until November. I still got in. :)

But yes, military service would he a huge plus.

Not true! The year I applied I didn't have my first interview until November. I still got in. :)

But yes, military service would he a huge plus.
What dental school are you currently attending?