Military Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joshfl83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The upward trend is good, especially finishing during your military service as an aviator (very cool!). Make sure you do well in your pre-rec classes and MCAT, as well as get some clinical experience (if you don't have any yet). You'll have some awesome experiences to put on your application for "extracurriculars" and in secondary questions.

I am finishing up a military career right now. I left college in my junior year and became an officer as well as an Ah-64 Apache pilot. I have done this for 5 years and one combat tour. I completed my degree while deployed from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University with a 3.4. I have to complete some of my pre reqs this next year.

1) My question is do you think that me finishing my degree distant learning will affect my chances for admissions? I went to the school for two years but did about a 2.0, withdrew from some courses. The last two years I maintained a 4.0.

2) My other question is, will my officer and being a military aviator that is an elite program to get accepted into benefit my application? I graduated flight school number one in my class of around 60 as well. Thank you for your time.
1) Many med schools have a bias against distance learning, but policies in this regard are changing, and more leniency tends to be given to active military. It would be best to call schools if their policy isn't on their website. But virtually all MD med schools will want you to take the science prerequisites with lab at a brick and mortar institution. I'm not sure about DO med schools.

3) If you received grades for your flight school coursework, you can submit the transcripts and record the grades on the application so schools know you were a high achiever.

It will benefit your application that you volunteered for the military, as this would be considered an altruistic activity. Other benefits will be the leadership you had an opportunity to demonstrate and any teaching, mentoring, or coaching that you got involved in as an officer.

Hopefully you have or will acquire some experience working with sick folks and some time following a few docs around to see what they do all day.