Military Dentistry: Mental Health Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybe.a.dentist

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a very real chance I have depression, but I've never been diagnosed or sought treatment. Since I don't really know I just didn't list it as a problem on my medical history chart for the HPSP. What would happen if I eventually wanted to get help? Can they drop you from the scholarship? Would I get court-martialed or imprisoned or something?

Members don't see this ad.

Once they accept you and you get through MEPS, they can't drop you. When you become active, you will have the option to seek help undocumented through an MFLAC. Many AFSC's will do this because if they seek documented help, it will affect their job (not dentists, typically pilots or ATCs). There are many great counseling options under TriCare too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a very real chance I have depression, but I've never been diagnosed or sought treatment. Since I don't really know I just didn't list it as a problem on my medical history chart for the HPSP. What would happen if I eventually wanted to get help? Can they drop you from the scholarship? Would I get court-martialed or imprisoned or something?

They would not have any basis to charge you with fraudulent commission since you have neither been diagnosed nor treated for the condition.

Reactions: 1 user
If they recognize that you have a behavioral, emotional, or health risk, then they usually do not continue to consider you. So, keep that in mind as you apply, but do not let it dissuade you if you do find yourself sincerely needing help.