Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Military DO Residency Options

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by AFSmiley, Nov 14, 2005.

1. AFSmiley

AFSmiley Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do DO students going into the military go through the same residency programs as incoming MD students? Do they have to take the USMLE or just the COMLEX??

Thanks for your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BOHICA-FIGMO

BOHICA-FIGMO Belt-fed Physician
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not 100% positive, but I think that everyone (DO, MD, FMG) competes on the same level (at least theoretically) for military residencies. I think you just have to take either USMLE or COMLEX, not both.

4. delicatefade

delicatefade ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    He is correct. You compete for the same residencies. DO's have to take COMLEX to be licensed. MD's have to take USMLE. DO's do have the option of also taking the USMLE, and there is disagreement over whether this is something that needs to be done in the military.

5. texdrake

texdrake Stand-Up Philosopher
    10+ Year Member

I have talked to a ton on directors in the military and not one I have talked with has ever asked or implied that I should take the USMLE as well as the comlex

6. delicatefade

delicatefade ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I spoke with a person from my school who matched neurology at Walter Reed last year - she said the same thing.

7. AFSmiley

AFSmiley Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the info guys. I was just trying to make sure I wasn't going to end up taking both licensing exams to be competitive for a residency spot.

8. SquidDoc

SquidDoc Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If there is a chance that you do not match the residency of your choice in the military, and you do not want to wait around forever in the military trying to get that residency, you may want to put in for a civilian match and do a deferment. In that case, if you are applying to a competitive allopathic residency, having taken the usmle may be to your advantage.

I am just trying to play devil's advocate. Really, if you plan on staying in the military for a while, taking the usmle may be totally unnecessary.

I have a friend that used to work in dermatology as a tech at NMCSD San Diego. I had him ask some of the derm docs he was working for about this very question. One of the captains he asked said that without a doubt, if I am even thinking about derm in the Navy, I need to take both the COMLEX and USMLE. Nobody knows for sure if this guy really knows at all what the selection process entails, but it still made me think...

9. r90t

r90t Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did not. I am in a full time out service allopathic residency program. I think there would have been less stress had I had USMLE scores. I did get into a good program without it, but I recommend that if you are going into a particularly competative program, spend the money and take it.