military doctor salaries

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by karmabug, Jan 31, 2001.

1. karmabug

karmabug New Member

what do military doctors make? i've heard that once you add benefits like housing allowances and not paying malpractice ins., it is not too much lower than civilians IF you are working as a g.p./family medicine. but does the descrepancy increase with higher-paying specialties such as dermatology or cardiology?

if i'm interested in travelling, would becoming a dermatologist (for example) hurt me or help me since it is less common?

as for malpractice insurance, how much does that cost, anyway?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. karmabug

karmabug New Member

thanks for your reply! i was disappointed at the lack of responses to this topic.

the difficultly i'm finding with the military is that i've got to make career decisions long before i've even been accepted into med school if i go through rotc!

4. Spang

Spang SDN Angel

karmabug-

The Military Medical Student Association publishes a journal three times a year and the Fall 1999 issue covered pay and bonuses in great detail. It gives sample pay throughout different career paths.

You can try to order a copy from www.usuhs.mil/mmsa or if you email me your address or fax I'll send you a copy.

You could also try searching the forum as I know there have been discussions on this topic in the past. There's also a military medical recruiter lurking around, dochunter9 I think his Username is, and he seems to be pretty informative. He IS a recruiter, so keep that in mind, but from what I've read seems to be a pretty straight shooter. I think he's Army, and I'm a Naval Officer so I'm naturally suspicious [​IMG].

Spang