Military Doctors and Dual Professional Couples

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Infantry Officer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Bottom line up front: I'm looking for success stories about Military spouse's professional careers.

I am currently engaged to a wonderful woman who means the world to me. She is a Navy physician and will be finishing up her family medicine residency in a couple years. We will likely move and I'm encouraging her to pick something exciting and something she really wants to do even though I know this will hurt my career.

I am a prior Marine infantry officer and got out after 6 years of service. I am a currently a manufacturing supervisor with an undergrad in mechanical engineering. While I have a pretty solid(ish) resume, I'm not sure if it will be enough to stay employed for wherever we might go. My chief concern will be staying employed when we move; I feel restless when I'm not engaged with something meaningful.

These are my options as I currently see it (Ranked)
1) Grad school (Taking the GRE in June)
2) Work as an engineer
3) Work as a supervisor
4) Go active reserves with the Marines
5) Accept a menial job as its better than nothing
6) unemployed and stay at home while I slowly slip into madness

So, I'm just looking for advice from some of you that have tried the dual professional couple route and hopefully some success stories.

Thanks a ton and I look forward to your responses.

Regards,
The engine that could

Members don't see this ad.

1) Grad school (Taking the GRE in June)
To what end? Masters (2-3 yrs) or a PhD (5-6 yrs). That time difference might matter. In any case, if you're in a metropolitan part of the country, I'm sure you can find a handful of good schools to apply to.

4) Go active reserves with the Marines
You mean going back on active duty, or just becoming a drilling (weekend warrior) reservist? That latter option does not come with any co-location benefits. Detailers only work to co-locate together couples when both members are active duty.

Your other options might be good ones too. Unfortunately, civilian spouses have to make a lot of adjustments and sacrifices as well.

Get her done with her obligation and restart your career after that. Get a MBA from Illinois at Urbana Champaign thru Coursera for 20k.

7) Have a kid and be the best stay at home dad in the world!!!!!!