Military Emergency Medicine Residency Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KinesStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm looking for information specifically about the Navy's two EM residency sites. But I think it'd be beneficial if the other branches could chime in on their respective residency sites.

Info I'm after - # EM shifts/mo as PGY1-4, are the shifts 9s,12s etc?, How is the training at the affiliated hospitals? Patient population/admission rate/visits per year. - Basically I'm after the info I can get on FREIDA for the civilian residencies but can't find anywhere for the Navy sites.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend writing the program directors as I doubt anyone who has that info is found on this board (at least for the Navy)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Before you go sending an email that makes you "that guy", do you want to do EM in the Navy? If so, you don't really have a choice. Portsmouth is always less competitive but EM is competitive in the .mil.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before you go sending an email that makes you "that guy", do you want to do EM in the Navy? If so, you don't really have a choice. Portsmouth is always less competitive but EM is competitive in the .mil.

Yeah I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. Its hard to come by information on the Navy residencies versus civilian but I can wait until I rotate through to get both the feel and metrics I'm wondering about.

Thanks for the advice - I don't want to be "that guy"

Hey KinesStudent,

Old post but wanted to throw this out there for future people who may have a questions!

I wanted to just throw a few resources out there that might help with questions on Military EM and the military match. The Government Services Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians (GSACEP) have put together several resources in conjunction with EMRA and EM Resident Web site to help navigate the confusion surrounding the military match. Many of these were put together in conjunction with program directors and other active-duty military EM physicians.

There are also many more resources available if you want to get involved!

GSACEP:
GSACEP | Student Resources

EMRA:
Military Match

EM Resident:
Military Match for EM
military-match-faq