military experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanet74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was simply currious if there was anyone out there that was previous military and is now applying or applied to medical school (or perhaps some of you have friends that were veterans)? Would like to know if any of you got in, and do you think that being a veteran helps much?

Members don't see this ad.

i was in rotc and i'm applying now...so i really can't tell you if it helps or not...but i'm really hoping it helps :)

I'm not sure if it helped, but it certainly gave me a lot to talk about at my interviews. In fact, at one interview all they wanted to talk about was basic training. I did get into my first choice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent 4 years in the Army as an Infantryman. I'm hoping that it will give me a boost, especially since my pre-military academic history is dismal. The Army (particularly the Infantry) changed my whole outlook on life more than I ever could have imagined. It took a lazy junior college flunk out and turned me into a disciplined, motivated student. I think if there is any hope for me at all with my crappy grades from 1996, it's because I was in the service.
Plus I get so much financial aid for being a veteran that I have no money problems in school now...I actually have more take home pay from the GI Bill than when I was active duty.

i think it may help. like turbogirl said, it gives you something to talk about during the interviews.

definitely apply to usuhs. i think about half their class has prior military experience. i really liked the school but i got into my first choice (einstein) so i turned down my spot at usuhs.

pm me if you have any other questions.
Droopy

I am also previous military (Army) but have yet to apply (next year). I am pretty sure that the leadership qualities that the military instills upon us will be of great help when applying to medical school. If you are also a veteran some schools give preferance (if all other stats are good) to vets (ETSU). That said we still have to be competitive and do well on the MCAT, but yes being in the military will be the icing on the cake...

I am a veteran also, and I think it was a great benefit in applying. I was accepted in January at my first choice school. I think, based on my interviews, that the experience of the military was something many schools see as a sign of maturity. Of course the rest of your application should reflect that, but the experiences of the military seemed to be a choice topic of conversation. Also, the interviewers seemed to appreciate my personal growth as a result of those experiences. I feel there was definetly some respect for me based on my life experiences.
However, your whole application needs to be solid, so do your best and you should be golden.
Good Luck

I am on active duty as an optometrist at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in DC. I am applying for med school admission for fall 2003. I am applying to USUHS, but I haven't decided if I will accept it, if offered. I am torn between staying in (which will amount to almost a career by the time I finish my obligation) and returning to civilian life. The three hardest things about leaving the military are #1 competetive salary during residency, #2 no student loans if I go to USUHS, and #3 free health care in the military. That last one is particularly important for me recently, as I have had 2 hernia repair surgeries in the last 6 months.

The input that I have heard from other service members that have applied in the past is that military service is looked upon favorably. Just try not to say "Hooah!" during your interview.

Hey MaggieD,

If you don't mind me asking, how much are your GI Bill benefits paying? I am trying to figure out if going to a civilian school while taking advantage of my GI Bill benefits + part-time income working as a fill-in optometrist will be enough to support myself, my wife, and possibly a child (hoping to start having kids soon). I am afraid to lose out on my GI bill benefits, as I paid $1200 into the system. However, USUHS sounds like my family would be much more financially sound while I am going through school.

Thanks!

Okay now I am really confused, Maggie how can you make more money now than when you were in the Army with the GI Bill? I have the GI Bill plus the college fund and that only amount to about $1,000 per month. Also you mentioned vet status what war are you a vet from? and how does this bring in more money from school? I am also a vet but have yet to hear about money for school. Are you a disabled vet?

Yeah, I got my leg blown off at Gettysburg by a Union cannonball.

No seriously, I have the GI Bill, plus the ACF kicker. This comes to ~ $1450 a month. I did 4 years and got the max that was offered at the time. It was 40,000 for college. When I was active duty, (a year ago) I ETS'd as a Corporal, so I made $1685 a month before taxes. That was with the extra $100 hardship pay for being in Korea. After taxes, I make more with my GI Bill now. (since it is tax free). I also get a pretty decent finacial aid pakage from my school, so the GI Bill money goes right in my pocket to pay rent, etc.
I use the term veteran to describe any former service member. Thats the way I've always heard it. Thats what the all the clerks at VA call us.

MaggieD,

Pardon my ignorance...what's ACF? And the $1450 per month will come for 3 years, right?

Do you know if there is a website that explains GI bill benefits? When I signed up for it when I first came on active duty, it was because this guy was standing over us telling us we were stupid if we turned it down. I never thought I would actually use it, but it's now starting to sound like a good deal.

Let me preface this saying I have not pretenses at being an expert at VA regs..they can be mind-bogglingly complex. But here goes. ACF is the Army College Fund. Not everyone is eliglible for this. It is an enlistment bonus that is paid to specific MOS's (or at least it was when I enlisted in '97.) Generally, it is used at an incentive for people to go into the more undesireable MOS's, like Infantry. This is why I got $40K. I could have also chosen a cash bonus of $12K. I had definite plans to go back to school, so I took the ACF. I enlisted 11Bravo for 4 years, so I got the max ACF. (You earn it, trust me!) For MOS's that are in high demand (like MP or computer stuff), they did'nt give the ACF...they did'nt need any additional motivation to get people to enlist for that job. Remember, this is my experience from 1997, so it may have changed.
In contrast, everybody who joins is eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill. You contribute $1200, and after some period of time, you get so much a month while going to school. IF you enlisted for the ACF bonus, then that amount is added on top of the GI Bill. This is why I get $1450. I think just the GI Bill alone is like 800 a month, maybe more.
The guy who said it is stupid not to get the GI Bill is right...it's a relatively small investment that has a great payoff when you go to school. You will NOT be sorry you gave up $1200 initially.
Try this website for more info...they do a good job of explaining it. <a href="http://www.gibill.com" target="_blank">GI Bill web page</a>

Thanks Maggie, I guess the GI Bill plus College Fund is a lot more now, wow. That is awesome, yeah that corporal pay sure was nothing..

Efex101, have you had the opportunity to be around ETSU? I am currious as to what you think/know about the school. I am not a resident of TN, but was planning on applying to ETSU because of family ties to the TN area, and the fact that ETSU is a great primary care school.

I also want to say thanks to everyone for their replies. It is nice to hear that other veterans are making the jump to medical school. I was like many of you in that the first time I went to school I earned average grades, and that after a short "growing up" period in the military the grades took a huge swing upward.

This may be a little off the subject, but I have a question for you military types, especially "Caffinated" who is working at Walter Reed.

I am going to med school next year, and I have applied to both the Army and Navy's scholarship programs that pay for med school in return for 4 yrs of service. I was wondering if any of you could tell me about the overall "educational quality" of the residencies at the top military hospitals (eg Walter Reed, Nat'l Naval Med Center, etc) and how they compare to civilian residencies in this regard. I am specifically interested in surgery, and I have had a tough time tracking down military residents who I can talk to about their experiences.

Thanks!

Marmot

Shanet I have not personally visited ETSU but like you said they do cater to those that are interested in primary care. They do not take hardly any out of state folks, that said if you are a veteran and you have close ties to TN your odds are good. From my understanding it is a great school and the tri-cities area is beautiful and very laid back (great for families).

MiamiMarmot, I speak as someone who has been exposed to Walter Reed from the patient view (hubby has been hospitalized there). It is a great place to learn, you get tons and tons of awesome cases (specially during war time) and the teaching is top notch. The surgeons that did surgery on my hubby were awesome! so you can not go wrong on that end. Good luck to all!

Marmot,

Educational quality for most military residencies is at least as good as, if not better than a comparable civilian residency. I'm not surprised you had trouble tracking down a surgery resident. I have trouble finding them when I need them too, and they work in the same building. If you have any specific questions, I have an appointment in the surgery clinic on 1 July, and I could throw some questions at the resident.

Hope this helps.