Military Healthcare Benefits while IN Med School!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calaxin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the HPSP program provides healthcare for medical students? Or does that expense come out of pocket?

Thanks!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the HPSP program provides healthcare for medical students? Or does that expense come out of pocket?

Thanks!:confused:

HPSP covers for any health insurance issued by your individual medical school. The way my school does it is it sends one big bill to the HPSP folks which includes the health insurance fee along with other school fees and tuition

are you saying you dont even get billed for the tuition and fees?
...i know its off topic (sorry OP), but i was wondering how hpsp actually pays...so you dont even get billed or you get checks from hpsp which you then need to pay yourself to the school?
thanks =D

Members don't see this ad :)
are you saying you dont even get billed for the tuition and fees?
...i know its off topic (sorry OP), but i was wondering how hpsp actually pays...so you dont even get billed or you get checks from hpsp which you then need to pay yourself to the school?
thanks =D

The school bills the HPSP office directly. It is supposed to be invisible to you. That said, occasionally schools will send students bills. If they harass you call the HPSP office, and they will settle it with the school.

^^ great, thanks...takes off a big burden

HPSP covers for any health insurance issued by your individual medical school. The way my school does it is it sends one big bill to the HPSP folks which includes the health insurance fee along with other school fees and tuition

:confused:

Thanks for the replies,

Does HPSP also pay for dependent's healthcare, in addition to the medstudent?

gee good question but i would assume that would depend on your student (med school) insurance. If HPSP pays the fees for student insurance, it is essentially not HPSP health insurance, but whatever student insurance your university requires. If thats the case i would bet you'd need to contact the school and their insurance provider for this information.

Your dependents will be taken care of whenever you go on active duty tours. During the school year, however, their care has to come from private insurance. I can think of a way to milk the system one month out of each year when you have military training.

Unless things have changed, HPSP will only pay for your health insurance if it is required by your medical school. the above posters are referring to schools that include the bill in tuition. If your school does not do this, then you have to file a reimbursement claim. If your school does not provide you with health insurance and does not require it, then you are SOL and need to cough it up on your own.

Unless things have changed, HPSP will only pay for your health insurance if it is required by your medical school. the above posters are referring to schools that include the bill in tuition. If your school does not do this, then you have to file a reimbursement claim. If your school does not provide you with health insurance and does not require it, then you are SOL and need to cough it up on your own.

Thank you for this info. It seems that I have been listening to the recruiter too much. All the things promised like full TRICARE coverage for self and family:love: with perhaps a little copay. A note from the school (they do not include the insurance in the bill) raised some doubts. I requested the copy of the TRICARE policy from the recruiter and found out that the only guaranteed thing is the coverage during AD training periods. Damnations! 10 years of prior service and I fell for a beaten old trick like a kid :mad: