All Branch Topic (ABT) Military HPSP 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mybluedog

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I’d get an early start and create an all branch HPSP group for us applying in the year of 2018-2019.

I’m an incoming C/O 2022 MS1 and was a little late to the game learning about the scholarship. Will be playing for the three year scholarship!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Which branch are you applying to? I've been looking at Army and USAF for awhile now.

FYI, I'm an incoming Special Masters Student who just completed AMCAS and AACOMAS hoping for Fall 2019 matriculation.

Best of luck in your MD+DO cycle!

I’m applying to the Navy, but since I just decided to go for the 3 year, I’m thinking about the other two as well. What made you decide for Army and AF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks dude!

I'm originally from overseas USAF Base, did Civil Air Patrol for 2 years in High School so I know the culture and bases so I was initially leaning towards USAF HPSP. But I later found that HPSP spots are half of the size of Army (duh) and residency in the military are not guaranteed; have to apply for civilian as well. General medical officer (GMO) duty as a Flight Surgeon is cool but that's 2 years of your time before residency so I'm pretty uneasy with deferring the residency.

For Army, they have been coming to my university every semester advertising for HPSP and their HPSP slots never fill up meaning you should be guaranteed to score a spot. Their residency slots are massive so almost everyone gets some type of residency whether ranging from EM to Neurosurgery (competitiveness still applies for tough residencies). Finally they do not have mandatory GMO duty like Navy or perhaps USAF so doing residency after med school is a absolute must for them.

I do hear that med students are almost guaranteed with HPSP so no worries on your side of the house but for me, competition is real lmao; hopefully my stats are enough to get a 4 year but we'll see.

@mybluedog Did a recruiter say you can apply for 3 year navy? I spoke to a navy recruiter who told me the 3 year scholarship is only offered to those who applied and did not get 4 year.

I'm considering applying and I was hoping someone could answer a couple questions about the scholarship before I talk to a recruiter. 1. Is there possible to attain a waiver for adderall, or is that at automatic disqualification? Secondly if my residency was longer then my scholarship award, do I owe the difference in payback? For example if I took a 3 year scholarship and took a 5 year residency, would my payback for active duty be 5 years or 3 years? Thanks!

For example if I took a 3 year scholarship and took a 5 year residency, would my payback for active duty be 5 years or 3 years? Thanks!

Most likely neither - it'd be 4 years. A 5-year residency includes your internship, which neither adds to nor subtracts from your obligation(s). Assuming uninterrupted training, you would end residency in this scenario with a 3-year HPSP and a 4-year GME commitment, to be paid back concurrently. If you become a GMO, then the calculation gets more complicated.

@mybluedog Did a recruiter say you can apply for 3 year navy? I spoke to a navy recruiter who told me the 3 year scholarship is only offered to those who applied and did not get 4 year.

Apologies for the late reply. Yes, they confirmed I can.

I'm considering applying and I was hoping someone could answer a couple questions about the scholarship before I talk to a recruiter. 1. Is there possible to attain a waiver for adderall, or is that at automatic disqualification? Secondly if my residency was longer then my scholarship award, do I owe the difference in payback? For example if I took a 3 year scholarship and took a 5 year residency, would my payback for active duty be 5 years or 3 years? Thanks!

1. Yes, is possible to get waiver for that, not D/Q, HOWEVER you need to be off the med for some period of time (6 mo? Dbl check that) and show high academic achievement w/o the meds. You'd also need a tx summary from your prescriber, and asking them to write a letter to the committee isn't a bad idea.

2. Yes you would owe the difference, but if your residency is longer than med school your payback would 'eat up' some of that IRR time you owe. It's my understanding that the residency length includes your intern year (might want to check that?). Your intern year is neutral (doesn't count), so if your residency was your intern year +5 years residency; you'd do 4 years med school, 1 year internship, 5 years residency, and THEN owe 5 years as an attending. Once you were done with that 5 years as an attending, you would then owe 3 years IRR.

(Just an MS2, and still trying to figure this out myself @pilsburydocboy !)

Last edited:
@pilsburydocboy - that might be a tough one. One of the three questions that a Navy recruiter asks you are re: ADHD medications, asthma/inhaler, prior surgeries.

Even if possible, be prepared for 1-2 years long process of denials, appeals, specialty (in your case psychiatry) consults.

Good luck!

What date/month are y’all submitting?

I'm not sure about other branches, but for Air Force HPSP, the earliest that my recruiter can submit my application is September.

Also applying to HPSP right now, aiming for that 4-year scholarship. I qualified for MATRIX, so my recruiter said I have a solid spot this year.

My recruiter told me in January to contact her when I get my medical school acceptance letter. I'm planning on contacting her as soon as I receive my first one, which could be any month really.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I’d get an early start and create an all branch HPSP group for us applying in the year of 2018-2019.

I’m an incoming C/O 2022 MS1 and was a little late to the game learning about the scholarship. Will be playing for the three year scholarship!

This is a general PSA. Now is absolutely the WORST time to apply to HPSP/USUHS. There are a ton of changes in the works, almost all of them negative that will further downgrade a degraded system.

Please research this forum and talk to an AD doc before you sign up.

Granted, if practicing medicine is not a top priority for you, the military can be a good fit. But if you are the type, that after busting your butt for 4 years of medical school and 3+X years of residency, would want to, you know, practice medicine -- the military is NOT the place for you.

The money you get from HPSP/USUHS, will not be worth it (regardless of almost all specialties, except for maybe FM) as civilian salaries significantly outpace military salaries, i.e., you can pay off your loans a lot quicker, especially if you go into a more lucrative specialty.

For example, I am a Bucket 1 specialty and I routinely get offers for 2 and 3 times what I'm making as an Army doc.

Again, if your goal is to be an officer >>>> physician, the military is a safe bet, and will find some administrative work for you to do. But if you care about practicing medicine, the military is a HARD PASS.

Choose wisely.

Edit: I can't speak for the Dental Corps -- only relay my experience, and that of my peers/colleagues in the medical corps.

This is a general PSA. Now is absolutely the WORST time to apply to HPSP/USUHS. There are a ton of changes in the works, almost all of them negative that will further downgrade a degraded system.

Please research this forum and talk to an AD doc before you sign up.

Granted, if practicing medicine is not a top priority for you, the military can be a good fit. But if you are the type, that after busting your butt for 4 years of medical school and 3+X years of residency, would want to, you know, practice medicine -- the military is NOT the place for you.

The money you get from HPSP/USUHS, will not be worth it (regardless of almost all specialties, except for maybe FM) as civilian salaries significantly outpace military salaries, i.e., you can pay off your loans a lot quicker, especially if you go into a more lucrative specialty.

For example, I am a Bucket 1 specialty and I routinely get offers for 2 and 3 times what I'm making as an Army doc.

Again, if your goal is to be an officer >>>> physician, the military is a safe bet, and will find some administrative work for you to do. But if you care about practicing medicine, the military is a HARD PASS.

Choose wisely.

Edit: I can't speak for the Dental Corps -- only relay my experience, and that of my peers/colleagues in the medical corps.

Dude, we get it. You started a full thread on it and it is in your freaking user name. How about you don't spam every single thread though?

Reactions: 3 users
Dude, we get it. You started a full thread on it and it is in your freaking user name. How about you don't spam every single thread though?

Lol, my intention wasn't to spam a/any thread -- and I don't think I am, as the insight I am sharing is reality based and in my opinion, must have, before making what could easily be a decade(s) long commitment of someone's life.

Agree with @Cooperd0g. Word vomiting your opinion with no direct response to OP or bumped question is SPAM.

Your initial Thread is very well viewed and on the top of the MilMed Forum and people browsing are getting the overall consensus on current status of MilMed. Rest easy.

I recommend we focus on answering questions directly and not plastering generic doom and gloom on every thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back for airforce HPSP
Nope. Apparently, the board does not meet until a certain amount of applications come through. I submitted my packet ~90 days ago, just waiting for a board now.

Hi, trying to figure this out. If I decided to do 2 GMO tours for my service and pursue a civilian residency there after, are the possible workplace locations primarily one of the naval bases, or on a ship somewhere...sorry if this is a bad question but I would really appreciate an answer thank you!

Standard GMOs are typically assigned to Marine Corps ground units and therefore you could be placed on any base which has Marines.

Flight Surgeons are typically assigned to squadrons who do flying stuff. This could mean shore based support squadrons or on an aircraft carrier.

Underseas Medical Officers (UMO's) are typically assigned to submarine units or SEAL units.

Basically you can end up anywhere, but depending on what you decide to do (GMO vs. FS vs. UMO) will increase your odds of the things listed above.

Standard GMOs in the Navy go on ships a lot too, not just with Marine units.

Is anyone with the 4 year army scholarship still waiting on their scroll or been told anything? I was selected in December and haven’t been told much.

Is anyone with the 4 year army scholarship still waiting on their scroll or been told anything? I was selected in December and haven’t been told much.
Hey! I got awarded the four year scholarship in October and commissioned in December. They just sent my paperwork in as they were waiting for my school to choose their start date for the year. I'm still waiting for my scroll and hope it'll come in in time for DCC this summer.

How long has the AF HPSP paperwork process taken for those selected? I've been working on the paperwork since December with my recruiting station. Granted, they did change health professions recruiters a few weeks ago. I'm getting worried that they will run out of scholarships, at this rate.

Thanks dude!

I'm originally from overseas USAF Base, did Civil Air Patrol for 2 years in High School so I know the culture and bases so I was initially leaning towards USAF HPSP. But I later found that HPSP spots are half of the size of Army (duh) and residency in the military are not guaranteed; have to apply for civilian as well. General medical officer (GMO) duty as a Flight Surgeon is cool but that's 2 years of your time before residency so I'm pretty uneasy with deferring the residency.

For Army, they have been coming to my university every semester advertising for HPSP and their HPSP slots never fill up meaning you should be guaranteed to score a spot. Their residency slots are massive so almost everyone gets some type of residency whether ranging from EM to Neurosurgery (competitiveness still applies for tough residencies). Finally they do not have mandatory GMO duty like Navy or perhaps USAF so doing residency after med school is a absolute must for them.

I do hear that med students are almost guaranteed with HPSP so no worries on your side of the house but for me, competition is real lmao; hopefully my stats are enough to get a 4 year but we'll see.

While, yes, the army does have a broader GME base (ie more spots), doing residency after med school is not an absolute must. There are a whole bunch of students that end up doing a transitional year internship and then go GMO for 2-3 years, or do their 4 and get out. I would in no way think that going straight through is a guarantee in the Army.

I'm finishing my general surgery residency this year. There are typically, at least for the past 5 years, 10+ applicants that don't match. Some scramble into unfilled specialties, most do a TY.

How long has the AF HPSP paperwork process taken for those selected? I've been working on the paperwork since December with my recruiting station. Granted, they did change health professions recruiters a few weeks ago. I'm getting worried that they will run out of scholarships, at this rate.

Same concern here. I have been working my recruiter since October. Finally got through MEPS a couple weeks ago. I know I meet their auto acceptance criteria but still waiting on him to submit everything. He seemed confident that as long as everything was in by April 1st it’d be fine though.

Same concern here. I have been working my recruiter since October. Finally got through MEPS a couple weeks ago. I know I meet their auto acceptance criteria but still waiting on him to submit everything. He seemed confident that as long as everything was in by April 1st it’d be fine though.

Tried to PM you, but SDN isn't letting me. What region of the country are you in? We might have the same recruiter. I'm having a hard time contacting the replacement recruiter.

Any current active duty Army who has applied for HPSP? I am running into some issues with the AAMC Commit to Enroll deadline of April 30, board result timeline, and HRC UQR. If you are in a similar boat, please dm me!

Tried to PM you, but SDN isn't letting me. What region of the country are you in? We might have the same recruiter. I'm having a hard time contacting the replacement recruiter.

My recruiter is based in Illinois. He actually reached out to me today after a week or so and I’m apparently good to go and will find out if I’m accepted in a few weeks. I hope your recruiter gets back to you. FWIW mine said today said they still have 44% scholarships left.

My recruiter is based in Illinois. He actually reached out to me today after a week or so and I’m apparently good to go and will find out if I’m accepted in a few weeks. I hope your recruiter gets back to you. FWIW mine said today said they still have 44% scholarships left.
did he give you a date for the upcoming AF hpsp board? I've been waiting since October and it's getting ridiculous lol.

He said he should back around Monday the 18th.
Hi! I'm new here. My recruiter is in Chicago, Illinois. I wonder if we have the same recruiter? I started communicating with him on Monday as I just learned about HPSP like 10 days ago!!! So I am a little late to start, but I have been busting my butt these past couple days collecting medical records, letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc. I am trying to do everything ahead of time. My recruiter said on Monday he would send me the initial paperwork, but I never received it. I reminded him midday day yesterday and he said he would send it to me last night. I never received it. Do I need to keep reminding him? I don't want to be annoying! But I know I really need to get working on this.

I would link up with him again, if nothing comes from that I would take it higher.

If you are having the same issues as me and are in the PNW, feel free to PM me. There are, in fact, other HPSP recruiters in this area not listed on the AF website.

@KariPatt2714

If you only heard of HPSP 10 days ago and are signing up now, you skipped a step. Spend the weekend reading this forum. When you think you understand what you signed up for, come back with some questions.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry, but you don't understand that I have done nothing but research for the past 2 weeks now. I have always been interested in military service. I thought I might do loan repayment through the military after pharmacy school, but then I learned about HPSP. I thought it was only for med students, so I just learned that I can apply. I know exactly what I am getting into. I have a lot of military in my family, both Navy and Air Force. I have read this whole forum, plus other HPSP forums on studentdoctor.net. I have barely been sleeping because I have done nothing but research and working on my app this whole week. I know what kind of a commitment this is and I do not take it lightly. I am so excited about the potential opportunity to serve my country and earn my PharmD!

No offense, but unless your family members have experience in mil med and have been totally honest about the downsides of the military, you don’t fully know what you’re getting into. Even then, it’s really hard to know how you will react to it.

I have family members who served, and I still had very little idea what it was like day to day. Fortunately, I enjoy it and plan on finishing my 20 (which could also change—who knows?). You might too, but if you don’t, it will be a miserable time.

Thanks! Of course I still have a bunch of questions, but I understand the program and the commitment involved. But I really appreciate you looking out for others on this forum. It really means a lot to me to know that there are other students on here making sure everyone is getting into this program with the right intentions and with a realistic understanding of the commitment involved. So thank you for looking out for me!

lulz

Found out today I was accepted to the 4-year scholarship through the AF!

Reactions: 3 users

Congrats man! If it took you 9 months to hear back god only knows how long it might take me who submitted 2 weeks ago (slow recruiter). Hopefully they don’t run out before then.

CONGRATULATIONS! That is so exciting. I am still trying to get the initial paperwork done (2807 medical form). I have not received it yet. I also have a very slow recruiter. I am worried I am running out of time!

Got the call today. Accepted to the Air Force HPSP. It seems like things are moving now. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
So an interesting situation here... My Army reserve unit still has not released me, my paperwork is working its way through the higher echelons of our command. Since I accepted AF HPSP my recruiter had me commission today so that we don't have any issues when it comes to tuition/stipend payments. So, I guess I'm in some sort of limbo period at this point? Technically I'm still in the Army, but I took the oath of office / signed all of the proper forms for the AF. What do you guys think? Am I an E-5 in the Army or an O-1 in the Airforce? :laugh:

So an interesting situation here... My Army reserve unit still has not released me, my paperwork is working its way through the higher echelons of our command. Since I accepted AF HPSP my recruiter had me commission today so that we don't have any issues when it comes to tuition/stipend payments. So, I guess I'm in some sort of limbo period at this point? Technically I'm still in the Army, but I took the oath of office / signed all of the proper forms for the AF. What do you guys think? Am I an E-5 in the Army or an O-1 in the Airforce? :laugh:
Inception

I think your recruiter ****ed up and your commission is likely invalid. But I wouldn’t do anything about it.
Yeah, ultimately that's what I was worried about. My 368 seems to be stuck at our Battalion / Brigade (it has been for ~2 months at this point).

I think your recruiter ****ed up and your commission is likely invalid. But I wouldn’t do anything about it.

Higher contracts always supersede lower ones, but ...

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should do if my current unit continues to drag their feet? I understand it's a long process, but my unit has a history of taking unnecessarily long with paperwork. Additionally, the POC at my battalion will not email me or my AF recruiter back as to when we can expect the 368 / what the actual status is. Is this the type of situation where contacting your congressman/state representative might be beneficial if it continues to drag on?