military HPSP + more loans possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosmk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
it seems like $1900/month wouldn't do it in cities like NYC or Boston for 2 people (me & my spouse)

financial aid office in one dental school said no more federal loans are available for those who are receiving HPSP. are there any other loan programs available with reasonable interest rate??

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it seems like $1900/month wouldn't do it in cities like NYC or Boston for 2 people (me & my spouse)

financial aid office in one dental school said no more federal loans are available for those who are receiving HPSP. are there any other loan programs available with reasonable interest rate??

thanks

In LA I was able to take out more Stafford loans from what I remember.

thanks

I took out Subsidized stafford loans and then when I graduated I payed off what I didn't use.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I live the the SF Bay Area and I take out the Subsidized and Un Subsidized loans. Of course, I have two kids and live in a ridiculously expensive area but it is possible (if that is what you are asking).

The Subsidized Stafford loans are interest free while you are in school, and are capped at $8500 a year (or were two years ago). You can then defer them for three and a half years after graduation since we are at war (already did this with one simple form), more if you do a residency. We had three kids and were able to get by with that and the HPSP. Then, since the HPSP is income, on your taxes you get another $4000 or so for Earned Income Credit. With two kids, the HPSP is enough to just about max you out on EIC.

i took out extra subsidized and unsubsidized loans, but i graduated 2 years ago. i don't know any current dental students to ask them about this, to see if the recent economic climate has made it more difficult to get student loans.

My school won't allow me to take out any additional loans. Ba$*****. The AF allowance essentially offsets my expected cost of attendance which doesn't account for necessities in my life that they don't consider necessities. (like travel expenses...owning a car, gas, etc...to see my wife who's going to medical school in a different state). Or...even cover medical expenses after being struck in a hit and run and spending the night in the hospital.

The financial aid office at thel U of MN is pathetic. They won't work with you at all.

My school offers me both sub and unsub stafford loans in addition to my scholarship and stipend. I don't take the full amount they offer me but it's available. I don't know if that is because I am married with two kids or what. My wife is also in school and doesn't work so maybe that factors into it. I don't image they will offer me that much next year, considering that our school had trouble getting funds for students who are not on scholarship.

do most schools give you the subsidized loans regardless of the expected cost of living? The 1900 stipend is approximately 23000 annually and my school predicts 26k in living. Am I entitled to only 3k loans?

Every school is different, but they allowed me to request both federal subsidized and unsubsidized regardless of estimated living expenses.