Military Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to internship this fall and want to obtain an internship at an Armed Forces Medical Center. I have been getting mixed information from recruiters about whether you can apply to multiple branches due to the boards and the separate application process for military internships. Is anyone applying to all 3 branches or does it make more sense to narrow it down to one? If anyone has experience with this in the past that would be helpful as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you currently in, or do you have a contract with any particular branch? If not, then you are free to apply to whomever. If you have any sort of signed contract (there are a few different types), then you are restricted to that branch.

No I do not have a prior service obligation. I just was not sure if it was common for people to apply to multiple branches as the recruiters make it seem like you cant (though I imagine this has to do with them wanting me to choose their branch than it does about actual restrictions)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to the Army internship sites this fall. The Army recruiter told me the same thing about not applying to all 3 branches but it's because they don't want any more competition. I'm just sticking to the Army because I have an issue that needs a waiver and I do not want to go through that entire process with all 3 branches. But 2 of my classmates at my school are applying to all 3 branches to maximize their chances. They're just not telling their recruiters. You don't have to. You're just applying, you haven't committed to anything yet. Hope that helps.

I am applying to the Army internship sites this fall. The Army recruiter told me the same thing about not applying to all 3 branches but it's because they don't want any more competition. I'm just sticking to the Army because I have an issue that needs a waiver and I do not want to go through that entire process with all 3 branches. But 2 of my classmates at my school are applying to all 3 branches to maximize their chances. They're just not telling their recruiters. You don't have to. You're just applying, you haven't committed to anything yet. Hope that helps.
Makes sense I figured this was the case. It is a lot of work applying to all of the branches. Good luck with the process!

Makes sense I figured this was the case. It is a lot of work applying to all of the branches. Good luck with the process!

Though you technically don't have to tell them, they will inevitably find out. Each branch will attempt to send you to MEPS for your physical. Let's say you do your physical for the Army first. When the Navy attempts to set up your physical, they will receive a notification that you've already processed with another branch. They will, I believe, then have to request your results from the other branch (can't double dip on the MEPS train). Recruiters will vary with their responses to receiving this notification. Some may be understanding with the realization that you are maximizing your chances and that this process is grueling. Other recruiters may view you as dishonest (integrity is big in the military). They may respond in a harsh way, moving your paperwork along slowly, "losing" paperwork, not returning phone calls, and forgetting to let you know about deadlines.

Seeing as we have no way to predict which recruiter will act in which way, and because these individuals are your lifeline to acceptance into mil med, in my opinion it makes the most sense to let them know on the front end to prevent headaches on the back end.