SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Military Match

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by kundun, Oct 7, 2001.

1. kundun

kundun Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 9, 1999
    I was wondering on the difficulty of getting an educational deferrment if one does not match into a military residency...

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. JANPLME

JANPLME Member 10+ Year Member

May 4, 2000
    Providence, RI
    From what I've heard, if you don't match it's almost guaranteed that you can get an educational deferment. This not always the case though if you don't match into the field of your choice (ie. you get a transitional internship and not a surgical internship). Hope that helps.

4. platinumdoc

platinumdoc Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Virginia
    Make contact with your detailer early during internship to select a decent 'billet' to work.

5. platinumdoc

platinumdoc Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Virginia
    There is no difficulty in getting a deferrment if military positions are filled. Typically, there are two types of deferrments based on the needs of the navy: 1 year deferrments for an internship and full residency deferrments. 1 year deferrments go to operational commands as you can see on the bupers website through GMO detailers. There is a shortage of GMOs to fill billets so 1 year deferrments are likely (my opinion). Depending on your specialty and the needs of this country, you may ( I don't know the numbers) get an opportunity to complete your residency before having to do your payback.